New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

This menu is the same NCL 4/23/2013 Cagney's menu to which I originally posted the link, though in the URL it says Dawn instead of Epic or Gem.

Steve told me there was a separate Cagney's a la Carte menu which had the individual item prices if you ask for more, which exists right now on board the NCL ships. From a marketing view, it is not in NCL's interest to say that if it is not true. If anyone has seen this separate menu, please let us know, or better yet, post the separate Cagney's a la Carte menu on this forum. :)

First of all it doesn't matter which ship's menu you look at...they are identical across the entire fleet. I just happened to use the one from the Dawn.

If there's a separate menu, why does this menu say ""$10 per each additional entree"? That's the price...right on the linked menu.

The chance of getting a correct answer from NCL telephone customer service, about something that was put into place literally only a couple of days ago isn't very good. What's in their best marketing interests has nothing to do with it...we're talking about an historical inability to properly train telephone service staff. It's often even hard to get a correct answer to a question about something that hasn't changed for years. Maybe "Steve" is right, but I'm willing to wager he isn't.

I called NCL again, and "Robie" sp? told me that there was no charge for extra items on the Cagney's menu, after leaving the phone and talking to a supervisor...so now we have two opposing pieces of information. :)

Robie said I could use his name.

As I said...you have little chance of getting a correct answer from customer service on something this new.

I can't fully make it out on the photo of the menu, but it appears to me that they are trying to say that the Certified Angus beef they serve is considered by restaurants to be a "step above" prime grade beef.

Uhhhh... REALLY !! :rolleyes:

Tom

Guess someone at NCL doesn't understand the difference between a type of beef (e.g., Angus, Kobe) and a grade of beef (e.g., prime, choice, select). It's idiotic to say that a type of beef is a "step above" the grades of beef.

Ah well, we will pass on Cagney's dinner next time because of the new menu. There are plenty of other dining options.

beachchick

What the NCL 4/23/2013 Cagney's menu says is "Uncompromising standards ensure's that it is a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select..." ... :)

They're just running with the PR stuff that THIS particular "brand name" puts out there.

USDA Certified Beef Program (see third "page" for "CAB") It indicates that the "Marbling Score Requirement" for CAB must be "MT(00)" or higher. "MT"= "moderate" and represents (at least) a mid-grade Choice grade as shown in the following table from THIS page:

i-tH6B8gg-X3.jpg

As has been mentioned before, CAB comes in two grades, CHOICE and PRIME. I would heavily wager that NCL has opted for the lesser of the two grades.

In my opinion, NCL is thus attempting to dress up their steaks though deceptive language. Again, that's just my opinion.

Tom

Hmmmm. Looked at the 'X' menu, and noticed 'Steak Diane' was missing...we enjoyed that very much in their Ocean Liner's restaurant aboard the Constellation in 2005. The absolute best meal I ever had at sea.

I guess all of the lines are cutting back here and there. Only avid repeater's, or CCer's will notice, probably.

Or they will create a third level of extra high tariff specialty restaurants, and 'downgrade the 'regular' specialty restaurant.

And so it goes.......:rolleyes:

We asked for and received a superb Steak Diane at The Olympic on th Millenium. Steak comes from Nebraska.

First of all it doesn't matter which ship's menu you look at...they are identical across the entire fleet. I just happened to use the one from the Dawn.

If there's a separate menu, why does this menu say ""$10 per each additional entree"? That's the price...right on the linked menu.

The chance of getting a correct answer from NCL telephone customer service, about something that was put into place literally only a couple of days ago isn't very good. What's in their best marketing interests has nothing to do with it...we're talking about an historical inability to properly train telephone service staff. It's often even hard to get a correct answer to a question about something that hasn't changed for years. Maybe "Steve" is right, but I'm willing to wager he isn't.

I have to agree with you about NCL's telephone service staff. They are definitely not trained properly.

Several years ago, I decided to try using a NCL personal consultant. It was sad when I knew more about the ships than she did.

In questioning her, I found she had never been on a NCL cruise and she lived in Phoenix.

Says it in fine print at bottom guess people ordering too many starters and sides and wasting them

This is actually what it says...so you can still order two appetizers and desserts. Just one entrée unless you want another one.

"$30 Cover Charge Applies...Price includes three courses. $10 per each additional entrée."

I was looking forward to going to cagneys again. But I think we will pass as I can easily go to the outback and pay less. To the poster who liked the lobster and shrimp it looked to me like it was over pasta and with a sauce Not the way I eat it. Of course I spend Lots

of time on cape cod so I am particular

You can order it without the pasta underneath. Just ask them.

I guess if a shoreside restaurant calls itself "Angus Steakhouse" they are guilty of misrepresentation,

Restaurants can and do change their menus periodically.

Restaurants can and do change their prices periodically.

Patrons can and do choose to frequent them as they see fit.

All of this is called marketing

Edited by Va. Plumber

I guess if a shoreside restaurant calls itself "Angus Steakhouse" they are guilty of misrepresentation,

Why would that be the case? :confused:

I do feel it's misleading to say "a cut above Prime", when the grade includes Choice (a category BELOW Prime).

Tom

Perhaps so, but personally I hated it...more tomato bisque with a bit of lobster.

On the other hand, I don't read any Upcharge Items here...so the Lobster Tail is the same...wonder if this is for the usual unlimited aps, soups, salads and desserts but just the one entree? :D

I love lobster bisque, and was very disappointed the first time I ordered it, then mad at myself the next time I ordered it a few years later, having forgotten what it was like. In general that does happen to me on occasion, as I tend to forget that recipes used on the ship come from all over the world, so those unwilling to take a gamble must remember to ask appropriate questions when ordering. That doesn't necessarily solve the problem, as the language differences with your server can be a problem as well. Though I don't often return food once it is ordered and served, at least that is more common on a cruise ship than at your local restaurant, especially a local mom and pop where the wasted food could be more of a problem than on a large ship.

In any event, thanks for the reminder! We are sailing in May.

I love lobster bisque, and was very disappointed the first time I ordered it, then mad at myself the next time I ordered it a few years later, having forgotten what it was like. In general that does happen to me on occasion, as I tend to forget that recipes used on the ship come from all over the world, so those unwilling to take a gamble must remember to ask appropriate questions when ordering. That doesn't necessarily solve the problem, as the language differences with your server can be a problem as well. Though I don't often return food once it is ordered and served, at least that is more common on a cruise ship than at your local restaurant, especially a local mom and pop where the wasted food could be more of a problem than on a large ship.

Funny story relating to language differences. This didn't happen on a cuyise but I was at a wedding and the server came over and told us our choices. Filet oh great-mignon? uh yes. OK so everyone at the table ordered it. 10 minutes later she comes out with a tray with all our entrees on it and yes they are filets but fillets of sole (fish)! arg

Edited by boopsahoy

Spoke to my waitress friend on Cagneys on Star. You can order as many appetizers starters as you want only $10 extra for second entree

Suzanne

Thanks for the clarification :)

I am so glad that I'm not the only one who hated the lobster bisque. I admit to being picky about seafood quality and we do live by the coast (west, so no Maine lobster unless flown in...but I digress). But the entire flavor was off and it was an unappealing consistency. Ick.

beachchick

Sounds like "Steve" gave you outdated information. There used to be certain items that carried a surcharge above the basic Cagney's cover charge. That is not the case any longer. When you look at the new menu, you'll see there are no a la carte surcharge items, but the menu does say the following: "Price includes three courses. $10 per each additional entrée."

Here's a link to the menu:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_CagneysWebMenu_042313-Dawn.pdf

Thanks for the link. Can you get more than 1 side? Did they forget creamed spinach or did I miss it. Love looking at the menus. It doesn't help me deside where to eat just so many choices :D. Such is life I will just have to grin and bear it this May.

Nope didn't miss it how do you have a steakhouse without creamed spinach :(.

Edited by latebloomer56
Add line

This is certainly not a pub menu but is very consistent with what major high end steakhouses are doing now. This menu isn't dissimilar from what the newest Vegas steakhouses operated by the celebrity chefs are doing. In fact the biggest differences I see between the newly opened Gordon Ramsay steak (yes, I've eaten there) and Cagneys is 1. Meat quality , GS steak serves only prime and we are not sure just how high or low the selections will be at Cagneys. 2. Price, GS steak set us back $250 for just apps, entree and sides. Cagneys will be $60 for two including apps(more than one if you like), soup(more than one if you like), salad(more than one if you like), entree, dessert(more than one if you like)

Now, GS Steak was simply amazing but at that price it should be I'm willing to wager the Cagneys steaks will be in the very good range which with every thing else your getting makes it more than worth the money. Life would be boring without a little change.

Anyway, they will be getting my $60 in August on the Breakaway.

Edited by prt77

This is certainly not a pub menu but is very consistent with what major high end steakhouses are doing now. This menu isn't dissimilar from what the newest Vegas steakhouses operated by the celebrity chefs are doing. In fact the biggest differences I see between the newly opened Gordon Ramsay steak (yes, I've eaten there) and Cagneys is 1. Meat quality , GS steak serves only prime and we are not sure just how high or low the selections will be at Cagneys. 2. Price, GS steak set us back $250 for just apps, entree and sides. Cagneys will be $60 for two including apps(more than one if you like), soup(more than one if you like), salad(more than one if you like), entree, dessert(more than one if you like)

Now, GS Steak was simply amazing but at that price it should be I'm willing to wager the Cagneys steaks will be in the very good range which with every thing else your getting makes it more than worth the money. Life would be boring without a little change.

Anyway, they will be getting my $60 in August on the Breakaway.

Just curious as to how many people were in your party when you ate at the Gordon Ramsay Steak House?