How do cancellations work with excursions and specialty restaurants?

odyzander

So from what I gather they charge for an excursion and specialty restaurants at the time of booking. How do cancellations work if you change your mind about the excursion or reserved dinner time.

When it comes to specialty restaurants what is the availability like for last minute dinners?

You are not charged for excursions at time of booking nor for speciaty restaurants when you make your reservation when onboard. In the patter and at the shore excursion desk they will list the cancellation cutoff times for each port and if you cancel before that time you can change your mind and not be charged. For the specialty restaurants they bill you at the end of your meal for the cover charge and any addons you have like wine, etc.

As for specialty restaurants booking last minute could get tougher as the cruise goes on, as a lot of people reserve when they get on the ship the first day. The longer you wait, the greater chance you will have slimmer pickings for dinner times.

Shore excursions normally close 36 hours prior to arrival in the port - you can cancel anytime before that and receive full refund. The specialty restaurant charge is applied to your account after your meal (you sign the check there). I've never seen a situation where someone is able to drop in for the specialty restaurants without reservations...but I don't dine there so much...

You are not charged for excursions until you are on the ship, even if you book them in advance.

If you cancel before the closing time for that port, you get a full refund. If you cancel after the port has closed or not show for an excursion, there is no refund.

I never book restaurants in advance, I just drop in when the mood takes me and ask if there is room. I'm happy dining later so I am usually accommodated, I just go off and have a drink until they are ready. Perhaps 20% of the times that I ask, they really are full so I eat elsewhere. I go to the specialty restaurants a couple of times a week, at least.

And because I don't book, I can't answer what happens if you book but don't turn up. I know you sign the chit at the end of your meal when you do turn up, but I think it'd be odd if there wasn't some penalty for failure to show for a booking - what would stop people making lots of bookings for all the restaurants and only turning up when it suits them?

Unfortunately there is no penalty for booking a restaurant and not showing. People get on and rush to book every night and don't show and don't bother to cancel. There should be a penalty if you don't cancel your booking. We have taken up going to the Maitre'd and asking what time is convenient for THEM. They have accommodated us every time. This is especially problematic during Holiday Cruises. People book Xmas and New Years Eve and don't show and don't cancel.

I never book restaurants in advance, I just drop in when the mood takes me and ask if there is room. I'm happy dining later so I am usually accommodated, I just go off and have a drink until they are ready. Perhaps 20% of the times that I ask, they really are full so I eat elsewhere. I go to the specialty restaurants a couple of times a week, at least.

And because I don't book, I can't answer what happens if you book but don't turn up. I know you sign the chit at the end of your meal when you do turn up, but I think it'd be odd if there wasn't some penalty for failure to show for a booking - what would stop people making lots of bookings for all the restaurants and only turning up when it suits them?

QUOTE=Chuck1j-

Unfortunately there is no penalty for booking a restaurant and not showing. People get on and rush to book every night and don't show and don't bother to cancel. There should be a penalty if you don't cancel your booking. We have taken up going to the Maitre'd and asking what time is convenient for THEM. They have accommodated us every time. This is especially problematic during Holiday Cruises. People book Xmas and New Years Eve and don't show and don't cancel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If Princess had a penalty, there would certainly be way less "no shows" at the speciality restaurants.

Both the Shore Excursion Desk and in the Patter list the last cancel time for excursions in a port.

LuLu

~~~~

It depends on the situation.

If you cancel late for a medical reason, the ship's doctor can get you a refund. That does mean you have to visit the medical center.

Also, if you cancel late for an excursion which still has a waiting list, you can get a refund as long as your slot is filled.

Thats exactly why I am glad Princess does not allow bookings prior to sailing.

Archived