Has anyone tried MiFi at sea? Would it work?

marylp

I have no idea what cell tower, that's the purpose of the questions. :confused:

Your little mini wifi hotspot you are asking about works off of cellular service.

The only cellular service in the middle of the ocean is going to come from the ships "Cellular at Sea" program. That service costs something like $2.99 per minute plus international roaming charges.

In other words,,, No, it won't work.

Your best bet would be to purchase Carnivals internet package. On most ships, you can log into the system wirelessly from your cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alas, it won't work at sea. It does use existing cell towers to operate, and there isn't any.. at least so far, in the ocean.

That would be great if there were..

I have MiFi so I sure wish it would, well, maybe not, since I don't use, or need phone, computer, or anything at sea..

klfrodo, step off! if you are impatient with my questions just move along. I'm familiar with the Internet packages as I just used it on the Magic. I suppose I was requesting a review and guidance on how its used either at sea or in ports. Everyone else who responded, thank you.

klfrodo, step off! if you are impatient with my questions just move along. I'm familiar with the Internet packages as I just used it on the Magic. I suppose I was requesting a review and guidance on how its used either at sea or in ports. Everyone else who responded, thank you.

sorry I explained how it worked so even a 2 year old could understand

sorry I explained how it worked so even a 2 year old could understand

Except you explained in wrong, it is data not voice so the cost isn't $2.49 a minute it's $20 a MB which is way worse. ;)

To put it in perspective an iPhone 5 photo is about 1.3 MB so it would cost over $20 just to upload 1 photo.

Edited by big_duck

I don't know how It worked, but I had the unlimited internet package on the Magic and I have a rooted android phone on ATT and had my tether on and my data off so I was only on the ships wifi and my wife's IPad 3 stayed connected and worked off my phone tether.

Alas, it won't work at sea. It does use existing cell towers to operate, and there isn't any.. at least so far, in the ocean.

That would be great if there were....

There are cell towers on the ships operated by a company called Cellularatsea. The large carriers have lease agreements so that you can use cell service. Rates are determined and charged by your carrier and can rack up quite a bill if you don't correctly option or turn off your device.

As for MIFI, don't know but suspect you'd run up quite a bill.

Edited by Holders3

Hey guys just wondering if any of you techy types have used it or are familiar with how good or bad this works. I'm especially interested if anyone has used it at sea? Thanks guys!

I have used Verizon MiFi once the ship got close enough to shore to pick up the 1X or 3G signal. If you try to use it further out at sea, the MiFi signal will show "Global" and you will be faced with paying global roaming charges on your next bill.

• 5 years later...

Just came across this thread as we are way out at sea, can only connect to the ships (P&O Oceana) network on our phones and just cost a fiver to receive a couple of texts. Anyway, my 'three’ Mifi is getting a strong signal. I can’t see how it’s going to cost me anything as it’s a pre paid PAYG data sim (£45 for 24Gb) which lasts for up to two years.

• 2 years later...

Hi Stevedalton, how did your Three PAYE on Mifi work out cost wise?  We are sailing on Celebrity around UK in a week.  We will be sailing not too far off the UK coast but maybe too far for our iPhones or overpowered by ship's system so wanted to know what your experience is?

On 8/10/2018 at 2:26 AM, Stevedalton said:

Just came across this thread as we are way out at sea, can only connect to the ships (P&O Oceana) network on our phones and just cost a fiver to receive a couple of texts. Anyway, my 'three’ Mifi is getting a strong signal. I can’t see how it’s going to cost me anything as it’s a pre paid PAYG data sim (£45 for 24Gb) which lasts for up to two years.

15 minutes ago, PizzaPirate said:

Hi Stevedalton, how did your Three PAYE on Mifi work out cost wise?  We are sailing on Celebrity around UK in a week.  We will be sailing not too far off the UK coast but maybe too far for our iPhones or overpowered by ship's system so wanted to know what your experience is?

You need to "quote" him to have any hope of a response. Only 19 posts and a 3 year old thread, I'd be pretty surprised if @SteveDalton is even on the boards these days.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:26 AM, Stevedalton said:

6 minutes ago, PizzaPirate said:

That poster hasn't been on the forum for around two years according to his profile.  Actually, this thread is EIGHT years old.  As a rule, it's not a good idea to bump up ones this old since most of the time they have outdated information.   Feel free to start a new thread instead of resurrecting ancient ones.  Just trying to help you get the info you need.

Hope you have a great cruise next week, I'm jealous.   🙂

On 4/25/2013 at 5:51 PM, dulcimergirl said:

That would be great if there were..

I have MiFi so I sure wish it would, well, maybe not, since I don't use, or need phone, computer, or anything at sea..

Excellent words. Enjoy placing my phone in the safe and escaping. Scary how so many people can not do without their phone/computer fix.