1 day in Barcelona

Going on a round-trip Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona. Staying overnight after the cruise.

What is the best way to do Barcelona in 1 day? Hop-on Hop-off bus? Or just take the metro?

I'm aware that we can't see everything in such a short period. But would love to see the main sights.

We had 1 1/2 days in Barcelona and yes the HOHO gave us an amazing overview..We did HO and went inside La Sagrada Familia... Amazing and something you should try to do as just a drive by doesn't do it justice...Also walk the Las Ramblas and stop in at the La Boqueria market...We enjoyed even this small amount of time in this facinating city.

And if you are looking for more adventure than a HOHO bus to see the city, consider renting one of the Go-Cars. A three wheeled car that has a GPS with a sense of humor. The path it will take you is very similar to that of all three HOHO buses. The difference being that you can leave as soon as you finish with a location and not wait for a bus.

We got off the ship in Barcelona, took a cab to our hotel to leave luggage but they had a room ready so we got that upstairs and took the Metro to get to our Go-Car rental place. We got there about 10 am. For us, we made quite a few stops so didn't get the car back until 8 pm. They closed at 9. I know many rent it for shorter periods but after you have crossed a few hours, it's the rate is much less to just rent it for the day.

You park in motorcycle spots which are at every tourist attraction through the city. That will take up two spaces and is free to park. If you can't find motorcycle parking and have to use a car slot, you have to pay parking, but we never had that problem.

If interested, do a Google Search on Go Cars Barcelona. They aren't for everyone since you do have to drive, but my husband and i were in the same car. You pay per car, not passenger and it comes with a full tank of gas that we didn't come close to running out, even with all the time we were out. They say to bring it back empty.

Definitely a great way to see so much in a fun way.

Cathy in New Hampshire

Sagrada Familia tour is wonderful. Yes, you will see it as you go by on the Hop on/off but a tour tells you what Gaudi's plans are and were. I just marveled at his ideas. Way before his time. Without a tour it you miss the meanings.

You can get a ticket online ahead of time

Archived