Don't Flame me pls - Sharp Knife to cut tablets???

OnlyMe

PLease don't flame me - I am looking for a solution to our problem please.

Our baby is on medications and one of his tablets needs to be actually cut in half to give it to him. It is the type of tablet that will kind of crumble if a straight edged sharp knife isn't used and is impossible to get him to take it from a spoon if this happens (when cut into an actual half we can just pop it in his mouth as it just dissolves).

Anyways, long story short - we are sailing in just under 3 weeks and I didn't think of this issue. We have a little 2 inch knife we use here BUT can I bring it??? I'm thinking this will be an issue - what do I do?? .. Getting a steak knife from the dining room will not work as it won't be sharp enough and with it being serrated (I'm also guessing this:o) it won't work for us.

Any and all help is appreciated with this. Would a doctors letter work saying that we need a knife to cut it accurately? I can't think what else:o

Was going to suggest what both of the previous posters mentioned - either cut enough pills for the entire trip (plus a few extra just in case) before you leave or buy a pill cutter/splitter. They are really very inexpensive and some have a safety shield feature which pretty much makes them harmless for anything but cutting tablets.

Wow, so many responses so quickly!! Thank you all so much!!

Its not an option to cut the pills in advance as they react with being exposed to the air/light and become useless - they are kept in airtight individual blister packs until ready to use.

I do remember hearing of pill splitters but I had totally forgotten about them:o ... Do they cut pretty accurately does anyone know? ... Sorry for a silly question but how do they gauge it with different types of pills?

Thanks SO much for everyone posting ... can't believe I never thought of this until now:o

Its not an option to cut the pills in advance as they react with being exposed to the air/light and become useless - they are kept in airtight individual blister packs until ready to use.

I do remember hearing of pill splitters but I had totally forgotten about them:o ... Do they cut pretty accurately does anyone know? ... Sorry for a silly question but how do they gauge it with different types of pills?

Thanks SO much for everyone posting ... can't believe I never thought of this until now:o

I've had a pill spliter for years that works great. It has a "V" shape that the pill fits into so it cuts it almost perfectly in half. Sorry, I don't remember where we got it, but it was pretty cheap. Hope you find what you need.

We have to cut pills all the time. We use a pill cutter. I take it that the dose you are given is the smallest amount but you need half of that amount. Some pill cutters have areas for different sizes of pills.

I wish they did emilygrace but things must work differently in the US than over here unfortunately. I've been cutting them with a knife for well over 6 months now and it has taken a lot of trial and error with different knives lol.

I just Googled pill cutters now and see what everyone means - will order one online if I can't get a decent one near me.

Thanks very much everyone!!!

Absolutely look for a pill splitter. Most pharmacies have them or Amazon.

The macguyver in me would also believe a clean, sharp pair of cuticle scissors or nail clippers can also work in short order. Heck, even a cheap guillotine-type, cigar cutter could do it.

If you can't get the pill splitter, pack the knife in your checked bag. I always take a small paring knife with us to cut fruit that I have in the stateroom. I have a hard time peeling a kiwi with their steak knife. Never had a problem when it was in the checked bag.

They cut more accurately than doing it by hand.

No, they don't! OP - I'm a nurse and the pill splitter/cutter works very well!

I'm not sure you understood the poster's response - he's saying the pill cutters DO work better than by hand with a knife/razor blade/etc.

Why risk having a knife of any size or a razor blade confiscated somewhere along the way before boarding the ship? Pill cutters work perfectly fine, are inexpensive and are not at all likely to be taken away because they're a danger to anyone.

The nurse in me recommends a pill cutter; the cop in me says knives and razors can be considered weapons and should be left at home. Can't remember ever hearing of someone using a pill cutter to hurt someone.;);)

Our baby is on medications and one of his tablets needs to be actually cut in half to give it to him. It is the type of tablet that will kind of crumble if a straight edged sharp knife isn't used and is impossible to get him to take it from a spoon if this happens (when cut into an actual half we can just pop it in his mouth as it just dissolves).

:o

Sorry, but I have to say that, I would not cut pills with a knife even for myself, they will crumble and how can you be sure you are getting a half, not a little more or less - and with a baby it's important!

With the doctor's approval I cut in half my prescription pills. I use a special pill cutter that is plastic with a sharp metal blade, easy to bring along. By the way, I pre-cut the pills at home and bring halves, but if you prefer, here is the link, this is what I use.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/category/productlist.jsp?Ns=Final_Price&N=361561&Eon=361561&Nso=1

(the first one that is $2.99) and they sell them in any pharmacy I would think

Archived