Shame of Norwegian

BOBfromNJ

One last thing, this angers me so much, this is such a problem in this country, the sense of entitlement. I am not going to follow the rules or common sense and then I am going to cry foul and feel I am owed when things go bad. And the fact that they were given a cruise only perpetuates this mindset.

I agree with you 100% to many people want something for nothing!!!!

I also echo the need for insurance. I'm sure that NCL insurance paid out lots of claims for folks who had to miss the trip. In addition the money that NCL lost since they had to keep us on the GEM an extra 4 days, having a half empty ship for the following cruise that was shortened by 4 days, etc., etc. etc.! Some of this was probably covered by their own insurance!

The way they handled our cruise, kept us safe and kept us informed has made me a NCL loyalist!

pieshops,

I am very sorry about losses with Superstorm Sandy.

However, I have a different question about this story and that is the timing of it. Why is this story coming out Now, when Norwegian's newest ship is due to sail from Southampton, United Kingdom to New York city in just a few hours.

'

Today is the six month anniversary of Sandy so lots of Sandy related stories on the news today

The news tends to slant things in their favor, not everything we hear on the news is 100% truth. We've had news in my neighborhood several times and 90% of the time whats reported was not the real truth, only part of it.. the part that makes it interesting. Granted this was bed bugs and residents that claim they moved out because of them, when in reality they were evicted due to non payment and they never reported the bed bugs... but that doesn't get you on the news.

I doubt very much that NCL never contacted this family. I do believe that one of their calls may have gotten lost in the system though. I can't imagine how many similar calls they had like this. I do find it very very hard to believe that they were just completely ignored. We hear people getting corporate contact from NCL about trival things - why would they ignore them?

I do believe that they may have been told something they did not want to hear and reached out to the media to try to force NCL to give them what they want.

I work in customer service. We get people who call in and claim they have called several times and never got a return call. In 99% of these cases I can pull of notes from several people mentioning call backs and messages left. They will promise and claim to their deathbed we never called, they will rant or scream - because sometimes the more noise you make the quicker resolution you get. This is just a great example of this.

and he can afford to rent a condo at the trump tower until his home is rebuilt.

please dont compare a millionaire to a man on the street.

and I am sure he hired people to get his family settled until his home is rebuilt...doubt he hauled out the ruined basement carpeting himself.

No Matter what you think, the amount of money the man makes does not make him losing his home more/or less important than the other people. So nice to have you dismiss it because he has money. Such an odd comment to make when the situation has nothing to do with his home.

I do feel for these people and everyone who has been in a tough situation and had to miss a holiday, but why is it at someone else's expense.. I can't imagine even making this public when we all know, regardless what line you cruise, or holiday you plan, insurance, ensures you are covered should the

unthinkable happen..

Happy Cruising All and Don't Forget Your Insurance!!!:)

One last thing, this angers me so much, this is such a problem in this country, the sense of entitlement. I am not going to follow the rules or common sense and then I am going to cry foul and feel I am owed when things go bad. And the fact that they were given a cruise only perpetuates this mindset.

You hit the nail on the head! THAT'S what this post is all about. Kudos for actually saying this!

I used to roll the dice and cruise without insurance. But as my taste for more expensive cruises/cabins has progressed thankfully common sense has prevailed. Just as in purchasing a car....if I can't afford the insurance, I simply can't afford it.

Don't cruise without insurance unless you are able to afford the loss.

In addition to my last post, we were also planning on booking 2 cruises as we had 3 cruise rewards that were expiring this year. NCL was nice enough to extend them out to 2015 since we were so devestated by the storm and can not really afford to cruise right now.

We booked a European cruise for December 2014 with 2 of them and will use the other one sometime in the near future probably for a 2015 cruise.

I agree with you.

And I would bet there are some folks out there who have lost their cruise on other lines, including Royal. Unfortunately there are tragedies every day, those that don't make the news like Sandy. People take a risk when they don't insure their vacations and yet when something actually happen, instead of having the means to reschedule they cry foul on the big, bad business who doesn't make an exception for them. Whatever happened to personal responsibilty and accountability.

Shame on NCL? No, I think not.

Cruise insurance is a MUST in my book. I feel bad that those people lost their home but don't feel the least bit sad that they weren't compensated for their lost cruise. They rolled the dice with the insurance and lost. I would like to think lesson learned for them but.... I am guessing not.

I wonder if the OP would be saying the same thing if it was the other way around and they people were supposed to be on RCL and it was NCL that step up to the plate to grab the publicity? Hmmm.... I mean he is a resident expert on these boards after all. 53 posts is impressive for as long as they have been a member. Lol

While I agree that the cruisers should have taken out insurance, let's not forget the fact that these are not seasoned cruisers. It is likely that they may not have even realized that they should buy the insurance. I was on that Nov 4th cruise -- we got our power back on the morning we left, but we had NO damage at all. (Yes, I had insurance.) I remember the cruise director saying that they had about 50 passengers that did not board due to storm issues.

No one person deserves special treatment, but I don't see why NCL couldn't let them (and anyone else under such circumstances) reschedule. I'm not talking about a refund -- that would have been inappropriate -- but allowing these people to choose a later cruise or credit what they paid toward a future sailing would have been great customer service. This superstorm was something many people in this area have never seen. The devastation was unbelievable. It is sad that so many lost so much, even Mr. Sheehan. No one deserves to suffer such loss. I think NCL could have showed a little compassion -- even the airlines allow rescheduling without a fee in the case of weather.

I think NCL got slammed so hard in this story because they did not respond to repeated requests by the news reporter. They should have at least issued a comment, even if it was a simple statement about policy.

Kudos to Royal Caribbean for seizing the moment for some great publicity.

I seem to remember RCL stranding over a hundred passengers in San Juan when hurricane Irene was about to hit the island. Bottom line is that these are businesses and it is a customer's responsibility to protect themselves. If you can't afford to take a loss, you need to get insurance. I don't feel any of the major lines are any better worse in this regard. I believe channel 7 in NYC is owned by ABC, which in turn is owned by Disney---guess DCL wasn't interested in starting down that path. Bottom line is that bad stuff can happen at anytime, and to make sure and stop and smell the roses or sea air when possible.

While I agree that the cruisers should have taken out insurance, let's not forget the fact that these are not seasoned cruisers. It is likely that they may not have even realized that they should buy the insurance. I was on that Nov 4th cruise -- we got our power back on the morning we left, but we had NO damage at all. (Yes, I had insurance.) I remember the cruise director saying that they had about 50 passengers that did not board due to storm issues.

No one person deserves special treatment, but I don't see why NCL couldn't let them (and anyone else under such circumstances) reschedule. I'm not talking about a refund -- that would have been inappropriate -- but allowing these people to choose a later cruise or credit what they paid toward a future sailing would have been great customer service. This superstorm was something many people in this area have never seen. The devastation was unbelievable. It is sad that so many lost so much, even Mr. Sheehan. No one deserves to suffer such loss. I think NCL could have showed a little compassion -- even the airlines allow rescheduling without a fee in the case of weather.

I think NCL got slammed so hard in this story because they did not respond to repeated requests by the news reporter. They should have at least issued a comment, even if it was a simple statement about policy.

Kudos to Royal Caribbean for seizing the moment for some great publicity.

Whether they are seasoned cruisers does not matter, ignorance is not an excuse. Are you saying they did not know insurance existed. Whether you book online, through a travel agent or through NCL insurance is offered and must be turned down. They made a concious decision not to take it. Now they have to suffer the consequences, sounds cold but it is what it is.

I seem to remember RCL stranding over a hundred passengers in San Juan when hurricane Irene was about to hit the island. Bottom line is that these are businesses and it is a customer's responsibility to protect themselves. If you can't afford to take a loss, you need to get insurance. I don't feel any of the major lines are any better worse in this regard. I believe channel 7 in NYC is owned by ABC, which in turn is owned by Disney---guess DCL wasn't interested in starting down that path. Bottom line is that bad stuff can happen at anytime, and to make sure and stop and smell the roses or sea air when possible.

More info on Irene issues: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/stranded-passengers-san-juan-royal-caribbean-hurricane-irene/416548/1

This is a sticky situation

I don't understand, seems pretty cut and dry.

They did not opt to buy insurance, something happened, they lost their money, they complained loudly, they got something they did not deserve.

Again, sounds cold but this is coming from someone who also lost everything in the storm so I feel I can say it. If it happened to me I would still feel the same way.

No. Shame on the people who didn't buy cruise insurance and expected a company to treat them as if they HAD purchased insurance. Same as shame on them for not having flood insurance if they opted to not have it.

Quit complaining, buck up and go forward. The world doesn't owe people just because they are stupid.

I'm sorry these people lost everything. But agreed.

Why should they get special treatment? People face disasters and tragedies every day. This is what insurance is for. When you don't get insurance, you've chosen to accept the risk.

Here's the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=9083703

First: this is what trip insurance is for. Lots of people have bad things that happen to them that force them not to be able to take a vacation. I wonder if Royal's new policy is that they will now offer free 7 day cruises to everyone who can't go on a competitor's cruise because something sad or bad or inconvenient happens and they had chosen not to get insurance? Of course it's not - that would not be a very profitable business model, would it? :rolleyes: The reality is Royal just capitalized on a sad news story the local station decided to do and got some great PR out of it. I do wonder, however, whether in reality, Royal, like NCL, sent out a bunch of letters six months ago saying they couldn't make exceptions to the no refund policy after Sandy? My guess is they did. Whether they did or didn't, the "reporter" doesn't even address it, does she?

They do mention insurance at the very end during the reporter/anchor banter - but it seems like the better public service Channel 7 could have done would have been to have the story actually be on the importance of trip insurance and the risks of not having it. They could have still surprised the family with the free cruise that they called and convinced Royal to offer in exchange for the good PR, but also cautioned that such a result is not typical. Instead, people watching this "news story" are going to think they can just forgo insurance, call a TV reporter when they can't go, and win a free cruise.

And this is more of a commentary on Channel 7 and "reporting" in general and is not about this family. I know many people who were terribly affected by Sandy and it's been a rough go for many for a long time. I'm glad they will get to go on a cruise. I also hope they remember to insure their trip next time.

Ok so this happened on a Costa cruise I was on a few years back, it is is appropriate. A couple were boarding the ship in front of me after a busy port day, they put there camera with strap on the belt for xray, the belt was casught and camera banged up. They started to complain very load about it. Costa rep looked at them and said we understand americans like to be compensated for everything but we at costa we are just sorry. The couple swore they would never sail costa again. BTW remember after Sandy a cc person was on here forever because ncl would not let him get money back? I wonder if............

Really bad publicity for Norwegian Cruise,

This was on channel 7 news in New York today. These people were booked on a cruise vacation (6 people) when hurricane Sandy hit and totally destroyed their home and all its contents. Their cruise was to begin just 6 later. They survived Sandy only with the cloths on their back.

Tried numerous phone calls and emails to re-book the cruise for a later date. No one ever contacted them from Norwegian Cruise Line and refused to discuss the matter. Besides losing their home they were out over $4,000.

Channel 7 news stepped in and got Royal Caribbean to give these people a free 7 day cruise to Bermuda for not 6 but 8 people.

Shame on you Norwegian

Royal saved enough money by stranding 130 people in San Juan to pay for these 8 cruises AND THEN SOME !!!

Royal only paid for 15 stranded people because they had purchased their airfare through the cruise line. The others were left on their own.

SHAME ON WHO ?????

It is terrible that people lost so much due to hurricane Sandy.

And just a bit of info, most typical travel insurance policies would not have covered this hurricane, if the cruise was still going. You would have needed to cancel for a covered reason, home being inhabitable may be a reason but at the point these folks were cancelling their home may have still been okay. Unless you had a cancel for any reason policy.

Always smart to buy trip insurance and know what you are getting.

This is in no way NCLs fault, imo.

NCL has nothing to be ashamed about. RCCL found a chance for some free PR....nothing for RCCL to be proud of, unless they what to give everyone who is affected by an emergency a free cruise to make up for the one they lost due to not purchasing insurance for those emergencies....but then that's not fair to all those who pay to insure themselves against such emergencies.

I live and work in New York. My friends wife was killed by the storm. I have friends who lost their homes.I have business customers in Southern Manhattan without Phone,TV or internet just barely surviving. This was a truly devastating storm as was Katrina. The people in the news report lost EVERYTHING. Even if they could have gone on this cruise they didn't have a suitcase or clothes to put in it. NCL could have tried something. The have built a good size clientele in Manhattan and good publicity is something that takes time to achieve, yet can be lost in a moment. Many large corporations in NYC have donated large amounts of money and services to help those in need. NCL took the low road by ignoring ABC TV. The least they could have done is reply. These people who lost their $4000 dollars drive school buses for special needs children. It probably took them a few years to save up for this trip. NCL probably burns $4000 worth of fuel just pulling out of the harbor. Royal Caribbean is the hero in this story period. Too bad NCL you had your chance and threw it away. Take you ship and go back to Florida. New York doesn't need you.

Here's the link for anyone interested

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=9083703&pid=null

I live and work in New York. My friends wife was killed by the storm. I have friends who lost their homes.I have business customers in Southern Manhattan without Phone,TV or internet just barely surviving. This was a truly devastating storm as was Katrina. The people in the news report lost EVERYTHING. Even if they could have gone on this cruise they didn't have a suitcase or clothes to put in it. NCL could have tried something. The have built a good size clientele in Manhattan and good publicity is something that takes time to achieve, yet can be lost in a moment. Many large corporations in NYC have donated large amounts of money and services to help those in need. NCL took the low road by ignoring ABC TV. The least they could have done is reply. These people who lost their $4000 dollars drive school buses for special needs children. It probably took them a few years to save up for this trip. NCL probably burns $4000 worth of fuel just pulling out of the harbor. Royal Caribbean is the hero in this story period. Too bad NCL you had your chance and threw it away. Take you ship and go back to Florida. New York doesn't need you.

Here's the link for anyone interested

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=9083703&pid=null

Does the FACT that Royal stranded 130 people in San Juan have any impact on your ideas about this publicity stunt pulled off by Royal and the madia ??

I don't recall any of the cruise lines trying to benefit from the stunt Royal pulled during hurricane Irene --AND REFUSING TO DO ANYTHING FOR THOSE PEOPLE THEY LEFT BEHIND BY LEAVING SAN JUAN EARLY.

I lost my business, house and 2 vehicles in Sandy, some want you to know where i am coming from.

As horrible as this situation is, this is what insurance is for. No one cancels for something good happening, when someone cancels or can not make it on the cruise It is from something bad. Where do you make the cutoff for the cruise line allowing you to cancel at, is say death of a child or parent reasonable for them to allow you to cancel, what about the person who falls and breaks their leg?

It sounds horrible but this is why you should buy insurance, for the things that happen that you don't expect.

Sure it would have been good public relations and nice for them to do but unfortunately it sets a precident.

And again this is coming from someone who suffered terribly from the storm.

I am so very sorry for your losses. How devestating that must have been! I agree with everything you said and your attitude shows that you will be successful in rebuilding from all the destruction of Sandy. I wish you the best of luck as you move forward.

Archived