Pinnacle Grill ??

Cruising aboard Amsterdam next week with my son and we want to avoid taking formal night clothes on this cruise. ( 6 day Pacific coastal ).

I know the "rules" on formal nights but am wondering about other nights in the Pinnacle Grill. Is smart casual (tie but no jacket) ok. I do not want to miss out on the Pinnacle experience, I love it. :)

Thanks.

Formal nights will also be the same in the Pinnacle.

But on smart casual night -- rarely in the last 3 or so years have we seen a lot of people dressed up. Even my DH just wears a golf or polo shirt to the Pinnacle on these night. Jackets are not required on these nights.

Cruising aboard Amsterdam next week with my son and we want to avoid taking formal night clothes on this cruise. ( 6 day Pacific coastal ).

I know the "rules" on formal nights but am wondering about other nights in the Pinnacle Grill. Is smart casual (tie but no jacket) ok. I do not want to miss out on the Pinnacle experience, I love it. :)

Thanks.

do not even need tie if it is not formal, some wear suit and tie there some including me never do other than formal nights

The stated dress code applies to all public areas of the ship though Lido seems to be an exception.

Pinnacle follows same dress code as MDR.

If it is smart casual night, no jacket or tie is required though a great many gentlemen wear a jacket (with or without tie) when dining in Pinnacle. It is an upscale experience and many guests make that little bit more effort over what they might have worn to the MDR.

They do not HAVE to but they choose to.

While I don't really care for the MDR, I do like the Pinnacle once or twice per cruise. It's always a special night for us, and because my wife makes the attempt to look more beautiful than normal, I always wear a coat and tie when we dine there. It's only fair.

It doesn't bother me if others chose not to dress up, to each his (or her) own.

Tie with no jacket will be absolutely perfect for formal night, and no need for a tie on smart casual night.

While I agree with no tie for casual nights, I would not be comfortable in Pinnacle with a tie and no jacket on formal night.

Thanks.

Yes, smart casual is ok in the PG on formalwear nights. In short, the PG follows the dress code of the ship for dinner in the MDR on formalwear nights. :)

While I don't really care for the MDR, I do like the Pinnacle once or twice per cruise. It's always a special night for us, and because my wife makes the attempt to look more beautiful than normal, I always wear a coat and tie when we dine there. It's only fair.

It doesn't bother me if others chose not to dress up, to each his (or her) own.

:) Like button!!! :)

Jacket with or without a tie would work just fine in the Pinnacle on formal night.

While I think that is better than a tie with no jacket on formal night, I still would not wear a jacket with no tie. I know some would and it would not bother me but to me Pinnacle is a little more formal on smart casual, I would wear a jacket with no tie on that night ;) but I would not be comfortable with out a tie on formal night.

While I agree with no tie for casual nights, I would not be comfortable in Pinnacle with a tie and no jacket on formal night.

Yes, that would be true for some people. But, I feel perfectly comfortable with a tie and no jacket. Many guests dress that way on formal nights. Everyone has their own personal comfort levels.

Yes, smart casual is ok in the PG on formalwear nights. In short, the PG follows the dress code of the ship for dinner in the MDR on formalwear nights. :)

Contradicting yourself. :rolleyes: Since the PG follows the MDR code then if it is formal night in the MDR is also formal night in the PG.

Yes, that would be true for some people. But, I feel perfectly comfortable with a tie and no jacket. Many guests dress that way on formal nights. Everyone has their own personal comfort levels.

The Pinnacle Manager would be abiding by HAL's stated formal night description if they denied you seating in Pinnacle if you appeared with a tie and no jacket. HAL describes that code as gentleman with jacket and tie.

Should the Pinnacle Manager turn you or someone away, do not be irritated with them. They would be enforcing the code.

I know enforcement of dress codes varies with ship. On Zuiderdam a couple years ago there was a sign posted that men must wear a jacket for dinner on formal night. I don't remember now if it said tie also but it definitely mentioned the jacket.

The Pinnacle Manager would be abiding by HAL's stated formal night description if they denied you seating in Pinnacle if you appeared with a tie and no jacket. HAL describes that code as gentleman with jacket and tie.

Should the Pinnacle Manager turn you or someone away, do not be irritated with them. They would be enforcing the code.

Oh, I agree. However, I have eaten in PG many times, including a handful on formal nights. They are always happy to seat guests with a tie and no jacket. In fact, I never bring a jacket and I always feel welcomed and comfortable.

Everyone can read the HAL suggested dress code on the website. I believe the op was looking for people that have actually eaten there and observed the dress of guests.

To clarify my post #16, I know they turned at least one man away for not having a jacket in accordance with the posted sign. I cannot recall whether they were turning men away for wearing jacket without a tie. I don't remember seeing any men without ties, but I couldn't see everyone in the restaurant. My husband had both jacket and tie so we did not have an issue.

On smart casual nights, a shirt and tie would be perfectly fine. My husband wears a long sleeve dress shirt, slacks, and no tie on smart casual nights in the MDR or the PG and this has never been an issue and he has never felt out of place.

On formal nights, he wears a tux.

"Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women."

"On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. "

We have dined in the Pinnacle on formal nights.

And we have seen men with no tie -- no jackets -- and the Pinnacle manager never said anything to them -- they were just seated at a table.

Rules are getting relaxed way too often on HAL just to keep the paying passengers happy.

On smart casual nights, a shirt and tie would be perfectly fine. My husband wears a long sleeve dress shirt, slacks, and no tie on smart casual nights in the MDR or the PG and this has never been an issue and he has never felt out of place.

On formal nights, he wears a tux.

"Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women."

"On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. "

My DH also wears a tuxedo on formal nights no matter whether we are in the dining room or the Pinnacle (or Tamarind on the Signature ships).

Now that I have to use a walker/rollator - I can no longer wear a floor length skirt -- but I do have 3/4 length fancy skirts and do wear fancy tops.

And we have seen men with no tie -- no jackets -- and the Pinnacle manager never said anything to them -- they were just seated at a table.

Rules are getting relaxed way too often on HAL just to keep the paying passengers happy.

We have seen men with no ties but I don't think we've seen any with no jackets dining in Pinnacle on formal night. I've stopped really looking. It just doesn't interest me anymore. I don't care what anyone wears ..... or doesn't. :D

I guess the unofficial HAL policy is to let the passenger dress in something comfortable, yet nice looking.

If they were to enforce the dress code the way it is written, they would end up with a large number of unhappy passengers.

Archived