Best line for West Coast San Fran, San Diego tour and best time of year to cruise?

puggsie

Hi, I am hoping my upcoming cruise will be successful enough for DJ to consider making a regular habit of it. Looking forward to 2015 to plan another. I live on the East Coast and my DS is obsessed with all things California. I figure the best way to see as many places as possible is to cruise it rather than try a land trip from place to place. His interests mostly lie in San Diego and San Francisco.

Is there a better cruise line for an itinerary like this? I don't see very much available on the lines I have searched, maybe two cruises per year. Also is there a particular time of year that is better? Thanks in advance for your help.

California is a very large state. I, as a life long California resident, would be very reluctant to say cruising is the best way to see California. Driving is far superior. Seeing it on a train is far superior to cruising. You have identified part of the problem- there are very few cruising options to see California.

For a "best" way, I would drive and train it. Or possible drive and fly it. Not cruise it.

As to best time....statewide, probably June-early October. Southern California is good almost year around. Northern California April-October. Far northern California- a very pretty place- July-Sept.

There aren't a lot of cruises just going back and forth along the coast, but you could look for repositioning cruises in the spring and fall. You may be able to find a ship that's moving from Alaska to the Caribbean and ending one cruise in San Diego before starting another through the Panama Canal, or vice versa. We've had several ships stop here in San Diego over the last few weeks.

I will agree with Bruce that you can't really see California from a cruise ship. Both San Diego and San Francisco have a lot to do and you're not going to be in port long enough. If I were vacationing in CA, and wanted to see mainly the coastal cities, I'd fly to San Diego, rent a car, drive to SF and fly home from there, spending a few days at each end of the trip and possibly one or two nights in between.

I will disagree with Bruce on the best time to see So Cal though. Our weather pattern along the beaches is known as May gray, June gloom. Come after the 4th of July if you want sunshine. Or come in the winter if you're escaping from snow -- you might not get what we consider excellent weather, but visitors usually like it.

I agree with other comments: Fly out to the west coast and then tour by car.

Note that you will see very little of the coast from aboard the ships that cruise it because, between ports, they all travel offshore in international waters.

we are doing this next year....we get to visit our favorite california cities and also get to visit mexico...

Celebrity Century

april 5, 2016

Then get on

Crown Princess april 12 and go to mexico

Apr 5 Los Angeles, CA 4:00pm

Sun Apr 6 At Sea

Mon Apr 7 San Francisco, CA 7:00am 11:00pm

Tue Apr 8 At Sea

Wed Apr 9 Santa Barbara, CA 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Apr 10 San Diego, CA 7:00am 6:00pm

Fri Apr 11 Ensenada, Mexico 7:00am 5:00pm

Sat Apr 12 Los Angeles, CA 4:00pm

sat arrive back at los angeles....crown princess will be a few steps away to begin 2nd cruise

Sun Apr 13 At Sea

Mon Apr 14 At Sea

Tue Apr 15 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Apr 16 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 9:00am 7:00pm

Thu Apr 17 At Sea

Fri Apr 18 At Sea

Sat Apr 19 Los Angeles, CA 7:00am

Celebrity Century

Sat Apr 5 Los Angeles, CA 4:00pm

Sun Apr 6 At Sea

Tue Apr 8 At Sea

The cruise Wineman is taking on Century is actually not all that bad for an out-of-state visitor...Celebrity is, IMHO, a superior cruise line with very good food and service. The Century is Celebrity's oldest and smallest ship--but very nice...We were on it about 16 months ago and enjoyed it...Smaller works well for this itinerary...

Yes, you can see more driving...and us locals would most likely take this cruise for the cruise experience rather than the itinerary (I can drive to everywhere on the route within six hours of my home...I'm about halfway between the port of LA and Santa Barbara)...But for a visitor, just wanting to get a little piece of several different spots, it's not bad...I sort of wish we didn't have to deal with the Jones Act and they could substitute Morro Bay or Monterey for that Ensenada stop!

One thing to think about if you had TWO weeks would be to take that cruise one week, then rent a car for that second week, drive North out of LA to Yosemite, then across the Sierras to Tahoe, down to Mammoth and either back to LA or over to Vegas and fly home from there...

That option would give you some of the California you don't see from cruise ports--the incredibly scenic interior...Mountains, Waterfalls, Spectacular scenery...

Or, you could drive north from LA to Yosemite for a couple of nights, across to Tahoe, then back across on I-80 through Sacramento, then over to the Napa Valley and fly home from Sacramento, Oakland or SFO...

Princess also does several California Coastal Cruises.

On the Grand Princess and Crown Princess in September/October 2013 and March/April 2014.

Los Angeles (San Pedro or Long Beach) -San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Ensenada.

Some depart from San Francisco and others depart from Los Angeles.

Steve, it's the PVSA that makes the ships stop in Ensenada.

Princess does have coastal cruises. Would be an interesting way to stop in places such as San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and some other ports, if only for some hours.

My hubby had suggested doing a college tour road trip for our daughter, but then had second thoughts (if we rent a bigger car than our sedans, he'll end up driving much of the way as I feel more comfy driving my little car).

If you rent a car and stay on the 1, it'll be a nice scenic drive. Include sights such as Hearst Castle (you may have to get reserved tickets for that tour).

BTW, what is a DJ?

BTW' date=' what is a DJ?[/quote']

Sorry, that was supposed to be DH.

All good suggestions and a lot to consider. I love the idea of taking the train from town to town as well. Maybe a combo: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. LOL

The Vegas suggestion also sounds like a plan. Fly to Vegas, Drive to San Diego, Train to LA or someplace else. Then hop on a cruise :)

Thank you all for your advice. Keep it coming!

• 2 weeks later...

All good suggestions and a lot to consider. I love the idea of taking the train from town to town as well. Maybe a combo: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. LOL

The Vegas suggestion also sounds like a plan. Fly to Vegas, Drive to San Diego, Train to LA or someplace else. Then hop on a cruise :)

Thank you all for your advice. Keep it coming!

I'll agree with the other posters that the best way to see California is not by cruise, but rather by road. However, if you end your trip by taking a cruise that could be fun way to go.

Some of the cruises offer an overnight in San Francisco, which could be an option, and would save on San Francisco hotel room costs! Here is a link to the 2013 cruise schedule for San Francisco. The ships which are staying overnight are shown in bold. It is incredible to sail in under the Golden Gate Bridge. :)

Some ships (Celebrity) do anchor off of Monterey, but then you have to tender so there is limited time in port.

Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

I'll agree with the other posters that the best way to see California is not by cruise, but rather by road. However, if you end your trip by taking a cruise that could be fun way to go.

Your cake and eat it too. Fly in week prior. Visit Tahoe. Swing by the Gold Country on the Way to Yosemite. Then off to SFO via the wine country. Then board a ship that covers the south coast. That gives an overall view of most of California.

• 1 month later...
we are doing this next year....we get to visit our favorite california cities and also get to visit mexico...

Celebrity Century

april 5, 2016

Then get on

Crown Princess april 12 and go to mexico

Apr 5 Los Angeles, CA 4:00pm

Sun Apr 6 At Sea

Tue Apr 8 At Sea

sat arrive back at los angeles....crown princess will be a few steps away to begin 2nd cruise

Sun Apr 13 At Sea

Mon Apr 14 At Sea

Tue Apr 15 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Apr 16 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 9:00am 7:00pm

Thu Apr 17 At Sea

Fri Apr 18 At Sea

Sat Apr 19 Los Angeles, CA 7:00am

Hi, I hope you meant to say April 2014:):D.....2016?

They won't have those itineraries released until 2015;)

Hi, I am hoping my upcoming cruise will be successful enough for DJ to consider making a regular habit of it. Looking forward to 2015 to plan another. I live on the East Coast and my DS is obsessed with all things California. I figure the best way to see as many places as possible is to cruise it rather than try a land trip from place to place. His interests mostly lie in San Diego and San Francisco.

Is there a better cruise line for an itinerary like this? I don't see very much available on the lines I have searched, maybe two cruises per year. Also is there a particular time of year that is better? Thanks in advance for your help.

I am a native San Franciscian - so from this perspective the best time to visit San Francisco is September - October generally. The weather is the nicest in the fall in San Francisco.

Reference your question about crusing to see parts of California... the best suggestion I have is Princess Cruises. Princess has recently home ported the GRand Princess in San Francisco. The Grand is doing cruises round trip from San Francisco to Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii and the California Coastal. The California Coast cruises are generally offerred in fall and spring, there are not a lot of them. We are doing a 7 day this September 27, going to Santa Barbara, Long Beach, San Diego round trip from San Francisco. If you don't want to drive to see the coast, this would be a good alternative. I recommend the fall over spring cruises because the chance for rain in the spring is greater and depending on when the cruise is in the spring you can run into a lot of kids on a spring break cruise.

For the train check out the Coast Starlight on amtrak.com. If you go by train by all means get a sleeper or a bedroom.

Just a couple of things to be aware of regarding Amtrak's Coast Starlight:

· There is only a very limited section (basically Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo), where you actually follow the coast. The rest of the route is inland, much of it through farmland.

· If you are just doing the portion from Los Angeles to Oakland, then the approximate times are 10:00 AM to 9:30 PM, so a sleeper may not be necessary since they are quite expensive. However, it is nice to have the privacy of your own room, and the included meals.

· The train is notoriously late. I have experienced four hour delays for its arrival in San Jose. Factor this into your travel plans.

· If you get off in Oakland to join a ship in San Francisco, then be advised that you still need to get across San Francisco Bay, to San Francisco. Amtrak does provide bus service.

· If your goal is to see the California Coast, then as other posters have said, your better bet is to rent a car and take a couple of days to travel up the Coast. Stops in San Simeon and Monterey can be very pleasant.

I am a native San Franciscian - so from this perspective the best time to visit San Francisco is September - October generally. The weather is the nicest in the fall in San Francisco.

Reference your question about crusing to see parts of California... the best suggestion I have is Princess Cruises. Princess has recently home ported the GRand Princess in San Francisco. The Grand is doing cruises round trip from San Francisco to Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii and the California Coastal. The California Coast cruises are generally offerred in fall and spring, there are not a lot of them. We are doing a 7 day this September 27, going to Santa Barbara, Long Beach, San Diego round trip from San Francisco. If you don't want to drive to see the coast, this would be a good alternative. I recommend the fall over spring cruises because the chance for rain in the spring is greater and depending on when the cruise is in the spring you can run into a lot of kids on a spring break cruise.

Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Just a couple of things to be aware of regarding Amtrak's Coast Starlight:

· There is only a very limited section (basically Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo), where you actually follow the coast. The rest of the route is inland, much of it through farmland.

· If you are just doing the portion from Los Angeles to Oakland, then the approximate times are 10:00 AM to 9:30 PM, so a sleeper may not be necessary since they are quite expensive. However, it is nice to have the privacy of your own room, and the included meals.

· The train is notoriously late. I have experienced four hour delays for its arrival in San Jose. Factor this into your travel plans.

· If you get off in Oakland to join a ship in San Francisco, then be advised that you still need to get across San Francisco Bay, to San Francisco. Amtrak does provide bus service.

· If your goal is to see the California Coast, then as other posters have said, your better bet is to rent a car and take a couple of days to travel up the Coast. Stops in San Simeon and Monterey can be very pleasant.

We were on the Coast Starlight nine years ago, from Oxnard (because at the time, it was either that station or Union Station in downtown LA for checking in bags -- at that time) to Seattle. We did have a "family" bedroom sleeper for the three of us, which included meals (which I thought were overprice if you were in coach and planning to eat in the dining car). And the train was four hours late each way due to all the sidetracking. The advantage to the train running late for us was that if on schedule, we would have been going past Mt. Shasta at night. Instead, we were eating breakfast while going through the area.

You will see some scenery that you can't by the highway, but again, if you want to take photos, it's while you're whizzing past.

• 2 weeks later...
California is a very large state. I, as a life long California resident, would be very reluctant to say cruising is the best way to see California. Driving is far superior. Seeing it on a train is far superior to cruising. You have identified part of the problem- there are very few cruising options to see California.

For a "best" way, I would drive and train it. Or possible drive and fly it. Not cruise it.

As to best time....statewide, probably June-early October. Southern California is good almost year around. Northern California April-October. Far northern California- a very pretty place- July-Sept.

As a life long resident of California could you please tell me which port would be better, San Francisco or Los Angeles I would be flying in so it costs the same for me, I will be traveling with a young man in a wheelchair and I would like it to be easy as possible for him.

As a life long resident of California could you please tell me which port would be better, San Francisco or Los Angeles I would be flying in so it costs the same for me, I will be traveling with a young man in a wheelchair and I would like it to be easy as possible for him.

When you say "which port," do you mean which port is it easier to catch a cruise ship from, or which city is better for starting a car trip or other type of trip?

• 1 month later...

San Francisco's port is located along the Embarcadero and is close to restaurants and attractions. But the port building is old and not very nice. New one coming next year supposedly. Los Angeles ports have plenty of parking but not a lot near them. They are newer and more efficient. San Diego is nice too.

The Grand Princess is home ported in San Francisco for a year. There are many coastal cruises. We are booked on one in October that goes to Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Ensenada. There are also cruises that do the same thing from Los Angeles.

Archived