Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

• 2 weeks later...
Many consider the Princess coffee sub par. I suggest you give it a try. Some like it. I tolerate it. I find it is not too bad if:

It is hot

I dump the last 1/2 inch or so.

On a coastal cruise out of Vancouver, I watch a woman fill up her small french press with hot water from the buffet area, sit at a table, press & within minutes enjoyed her own coffee. On the next cruise, I packed a small french press & our Maui blend coffee. DH was a little leery about the process, but now his routine is to go upstairs to fill it, bring it back to our room to enjoy before going to breakfast.

I do like the coffee after dinner in the MDR & in Sabatinis - I think this thread explained why the coffee earlier in the day isn't so good - coffee syrup??!!:eek:

-Rose

This happened to us last year. The robes were so small they would barely fit a barbie doll. I mentioned this here on CC and have been told that you can ask for a larger robe.

If I get small ones again I will ask for a larger one and see what happens.

Ditto! My DW always enjoys the robes and so I thought I would make her happy by trying to enjoy the "relaxing morning on the balcony" with her as we had complimentary room service for breakfast...I'n not a huge guy, but THAT DID NOT WORK!!! Still enjoyed the balcony breakfast, but I had to wear real clothes, much to my wife's disappointment of the "picture in her head" idea of how the balcony breakfast should look!!! Still, trying to fit in those little robes is tuff, WITH ALL THOSE BUFFET CHOICES ON BOARD!!! :eek:

Thanks to all for the new contributions to "secrets"!!!

Edited by TuxedoMan

The walls in the cabins are magnetic. We like to bring a large, detailed map of the part of the world we are cruising and mount it on the wall. We then can follow along with the daily ship's course. We also use the walls to post other sheets of interest...our itinerary, a copy of the Patter. I bought some "Glow in the Dark" stars from a craft store, glued a magnet to the back and use them for a soft night light glow in the room They absorb the sunlight during the day and glow at night...not enough to keep you awake, just enough to provide a bit of light.

On a coastal cruise out of Vancouver, I watch a woman fill up her small french press with hot water from the buffet area, sit at a table, press & within minutes enjoyed her own coffee. On the next cruise, I packed a small french press & our Maui blend coffee. DH was a little leery about the process, but now his routine is to go upstairs to fill it, bring it back to our room to enjoy before going to breakfast.

I do like the coffee after dinner in the MDR & in Sabatinis - I think this thread explained why the coffee earlier in the day isn't so good - coffee syrup??!!:eek:

-Rose

We are now at the dock in SF. Looking out at the pier. The hardest part of the cruise...getting off. I agree about the coffee in the MDR and Sabatinis. Especially Sabatinis. I had double espresso every morning. Unfortunately it's not open this morning. :(

One main princess secret is to keep checking the price of your cruise! If it goes down phone or get TA to do it to get reduced fare. It's not done automatically. We have saved nearly £1000 on our September cruises.

I think you might be one of the 'exceptions that prove the rule' :(. Have read so often on these threads and have personal experience over 10 Princess cruises that it is almost impossible to get price drops in the UK. Would love to know who your TA is :)

Again, bad information! Sailberg, I would suggest you ignore this poster... It does not seem like he or she is not keeping up with news nor has sailed with Princess much...

There is a new policy and is starting to be enforced fleetwide. They will scan your luggage for smuggled booze. You are entitled to bring one bottle of wine per passenger for consumption in your cabin. You are also entitled to bring as many bottles of wine you want, but you must be prepared to pay $15 corkage fee per bottle.

Someone who embarked Crown Princess at the end of May posted that they took on a winebox of white wine packed in a rucsac which went on with their suitcases and no-one said a word and no corkage was charged even though a winebox typically contains 3+ full bottles. It would appear from several posts that the new wine policy is not being enforced fleetwide and varies from ship to ship and from embarcation port to embarcation port.

Someone who embarked Crown Princess at the end of May posted that they took on a winebox of white wine packed in a rucsac which went on with their suitcases and no-one said a word and no corkage was charged even though a winebox typically contains 3+ full bottles. It would appear from several posts that the new wine policy is not being enforced fleetwide and varies from ship to ship and from embarkation port to embarkation port.

We just go off of the Grand on Sunday round trip San Francisco to Alaska. After we boarded we got off the ship before it sailed to have a drink at Butterfly because you can see the ship from there.

As we were getting off we saw a large cart full of oncoming luggage that was secured and there was a big sign on it that said, "Liquor" on it. So at least on that cruise they were vigilant. Oh for the good old days of walking on bottle in hand. <sigh>

The walls in the cabins are magnetic. We like to bring a large, detailed map of the part of the world we are cruising and mount it on the wall. We then can follow along with the daily ship's course. We also use the walls to post other sheets of interest...our itinerary, a copy of the Patter. I bought some "Glow in the Dark" stars from a craft store, glued a magnet to the back and use them for a soft night light glow in the room They absorb the sunlight during the day and glow at night...not enough to keep you awake, just enough to provide a bit of light.

I did not know the walls were magnetic - is that true for the Sapphire as well?

ARE there any more secrets?

This seems to have developed into yet another discussion about how to get wine onto a ship. There are dozens of discussions on this, but I was really looking forward to reading some great secrets.....

Am waiting with baited breath!;)

Yes, It applies to US, Canada, UK, Australia and NZ

Hi Paul,

Long time no see. You know, all the times we have cruised we have been told that Bob would not get credit for his Military Service in the UK. Now I am seeing that people have been getting this credit.

How do we go about getting the correct information.

Linda

Hi sewlady, check out the link below from tngeebee. Complete the application and send them some form of proof of service, I am from uk and sent them my discharge certificate. I was successful. However, don't be surprised if you don't hear from them. I had to chase them to confirm it had been applied to my booking. I have an email address if you need to chase .... Cannot post it hear because I am on my mobile and cannot access the information

Sent from my mobile device

Hi sewlady, check out the link below from tngeebee. Complete the application and send them some form of proof of service, I am from uk and sent them my discharge certificate. I was successful. However, don't be surprised if you don't hear from them. I had to chase them to confirm it had been applied to my booking. I have an email address if you need to chase .... Cannot post it hear because I am on my mobile and cannot access the information

Sent from my mobile device

Thanks for the info. We have already sent copies of the discharge certificate to Princess. We will certainly be keeping an eye out for the OBC to appear.

I would like the email address when you have time.

Linda