Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

After reading many of the Secrets posts, and many replies about this no longer being the case and that is no longer offered. I also read a reply by IECalCruiser that a new thread should be made since that thread was more than two years old.

So here is 2013 Thread.

I love reading what tips and tricks that people have to say especially since I have not been on a Princess Cruise in 9 years but returning for our Alaskan cruise in September.

Waiting to read your replies,

Christie

OP...thank you for starting this thread. I am going on my second Princess cruise and just started to read all 86 pages of the original Princess Secrets They Don't Tell You About and found so much stuff to be outdated that I started from the back.

Can't wait for everyone to chime in on this one.:D

If you are a shareholder of Carnival Corp (minimum 100 shares), you get an OBC everytime you sail on any ship owned by them. This includes Princess.

The amount depends on the length of the cruise:

1-6 days = $50

7-13 = $100

14 or more = $250

If you are a shareholder of Carnival Corp (minimum 100 shares), you get an OBC everytime you sail on any ship owned by them. This includes Princess.

We’re not regular shareholders but do usually purchase the 100 shares to get the OBC. I just purchased last week for our upcoming June trip and then went to download the Shareholder benefit request form. It now says that travel needed to be booked by February 28, 2013 and is only applicable to sailings through July 21, 2013. I hope they extend it.

We’re not regular shareholders but do usually purchase the 100 shares to get the OBC. I just purchased last week for our upcoming June trip and then went to download the Shareholder benefit request form. It now says that travel needed to be booked by February 28, 2013 and is only applicable to sailings through July 21, 2013. I hope they extend it.

You are looking at an old copy of the form. The dates were extended for another year back in February.

Hey,

We are getting the coupon book. Does anyone know what types of coupons are in it?

Nine years ago we got one. Had really great items in it. Free photo, free photo book, Internet minutes, etc. had many left over so I gave it to friends who were going a couple of weeks later.

Look forward to our cruise in 116 days

Is it worth to purchase the 100share just to get the credit? And how does one go about it, like where do you get them. I have never noticed any info about them on the Princess website nor did our TA ever mentioned the option.

Now back to the tips. You can use the free greetingcard on the Princess website while on board to send short emails to family and friends. This was still the case last June.

Theo

Is it worth to purchase the 100share just to get the credit? And how does one go about it, like where do you get them. I have never noticed any info about them on the Princess website nor did our TA ever mentioned the option.

Now back to the tips. You can use the free greetingcard on the Princess website while on board to send short emails to family and friends. This was still the case last June.

Theo

I am always interested in a bargain. I have 100 shares. It has given me useful OBC plus I receive dividends on top of that. To me, it is worth more than money sitting in a bank.

Do you have a financial planner? I am not sure what international laws apply to purchasing foreign stock. I noticed that you are from Canada.

Yes, ecards are still available on a cruise. Great way to let family and friends know where you are. Always copy a card to yourself (just in case it isn't received or to journal your travels).

Christie, great idea to restart this thread. Why didn't I think to do this? Kudos.

Renee

Edited by cr8tiv1

Theo

Whether the shareholder benefit is worth it depends on your cruising. We cruise often on Princess. We have had the stock for nearly four years. We have gotten back the purchase cost plus nearly $1000 in OBC. We also have several hundred dollars in dividents. Finally the stock is now worth about 40% more than we paid for it.

So for us it has certainly been worth it.

The mini-bar you receive for being Elite or a Suite passenger can be exchanged for two Coffee Cards.

Call Room Service to have this done. Don't drink any of the items, even a water, as they will need the entire setup in exchange.

You are looking at an old copy of the form. The dates were extended for another year back in February.

Thank you! I just found the update.

It’s been worth it for us. There was a time the stock took a dip and we lost more than we gained but we held on to it and it went back up nicely.

Theo

I'm also from BC, and yes you can purchase CCL Stocks. Just use your broker of choice. (I used money within my RRSP, as I don't plan on selling the stock and it's only about $3500 for 100 shares)

The OBC is applicable to even the reduced fare 1 day Pacific Coastals ($50 of OBC for the 1 day)

My tip is on ships with the International Cafe there is a delicious Tiramisu in a shot glass type dessert that alternates every 3 days with a dark/light chocolate mousse. So if you don't see it for a day or two don't despair as it will be around for 3 days once it shows up.

The mini-bar you receive for being Elite or a Suite passenger can be exchanged for two Coffee Cards.

Call Room Service to have this done. Don't drink any of the items, even a water, as they will need the entire setup in exchange.

This is an amazing discovery to me! Yea! My husband & I are 18 months sober and this would be so handy for us! Thank you.

This is good to know as we are not drinkers. Thanks! :)

This is an amazing discovery to me! Yea! My husband & I are 18 months sober and this would be so handy for us! Thank you.

Congrats.

You can also swap the mini bar for all sodas and/or water.

The amount depends on the length of the cruise:

1-6 days = $50

7-13 = $100

14 or more = $250

If you have been in the NZ Defence Force or Australian Defence Force apply for the Military Benefit Programme it is also worth $50, $100, $250 depending on the length of the cruise. You can read about it on the princess.com website.

After reading so many threads where it appears that people are writing in code regarding the ships. I found out what the "codes" for the ships were and thought that I would post it for others that may not be in the know...

Below are the Ships with their Initials.

Caribbean - cb

Cora l - co

Crown - kp

Dawn - dp

Diamond - di

Emerald - ep

Golden - np

Grand - ap

Island - ip

Regal - gp

Royal - rp

Ruby - ru

Sapphire - sa

Sea - cp

Star - tp

Sun - sp

I'm also from BC, and yes you can purchase CCL Stocks. Just use your broker of choice. (I used money within my RRSP, as I don't plan on selling the stock and it's only about $3500 for 100 shares)

The OBC is applicable to even the reduced fare 1 day Pacific Coastals ($50 of OBC for the 1 day)

My tip is on ships with the International Cafe there is a delicious Tiramisu in a shot glass type dessert that alternates every 3 days with a dark/light chocolate mousse. So if you don't see it for a day or two don't despair as it will be around for 3 days once it shows up.

I vote for the Tiramisu too and warm peanut butter cookies.

Yes on the OBC. I am taking a one day ($50) and then a 3 day ($50). It was really nice to have $250 on a 14 day to Hawaii. I will have been given $550 by the end of this year for all the cruises I am doing.

Renee