Sihanoukville (angkor wat)

katkell

We have just booked a cruise from Singapore that stops at Sihanoukville (Angkor Wat) as the Itinerary states. After speaking to my sister that lives at Siam Reap, this is a 7 hour trip by road. The ship is only in port from 7am til 4 pm. My question is has anyone been on a cruise to this port and what happened? They are advertising Angkor Wat, but it is not doable in the time frame....... unless....... help me out here

We did Sihanoukville a couple of year ago - from m the harbour we took a 'tuk-tuk' to the center of the city - visited the market and the starfish cafe.

More relaxing than taking a day-tour!

One thing you could do if want to see Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is do a return tour from Singapore before the cruise.... say 2 or 3 days.

I have not done this , but we met folk on our cruise who had , and they said it worked out miles cheaper.

For Sihanoukville we just took the ships tour and visited a school, rural village , market place and a Resort which was a training school for local staff. After everything they have been through , Sihanoukville is still a very sad place.

There is little to see in S except for beaches and trash. The town is quickly changing into an industrial hub as many new factories are opening funded by Russian/India/Chinese firms.

It is absolutely nuts to think you will be able to get to Siam Reap from S for a day visit. First, Angkor Wat requires a minimum of two days - not three hours.

Second, driving from S to Siam Reap is much more than 7 hours. There is not even a highway to take you there directly. The likely scenario is to drive you to Phnom Penh, which has a major airport, which takes about 5 hours. Then you would catch a 90 minute flight to Siam Reap. No way will you be able to do those various connections in one day and tour Angkor Wat then return to the ship in S.

BTW, the S airport has been closed for a number of years due to a plane crash that killed a large number of people. It might reopen but that was not expected last year when I was there.

I can't think why cruise lines include Cambodia. Seems like a completely daft idea.

Sorry mate but that is a really stupid response, how can you give a comment like that and you have never been.:rolleyes:

Steve

Sorry mate but that is a really stupid response, how can you give a comment like that and you have never been.:rolleyes:

Steve

I've been to Cambodia three times, Steve. First visit was in 1992 when I doubt if there were more than 50 tourists on the entire Angkor site. I made my comment sure in the knowledge that the coast is so far from the principal sites that visiting the country on a cruise is fairly pointless.

I've been to Cambodia three times, Steve. First visit was in 1992 when I doubt if there were more than 50 tourists on the entire Angkor site. I made my comment sure in the knowledge that the coast is so far from the principal sites that visiting the country on a cruise is fairly pointless.

I understand but it sounded heartless, well done for going there. when we went we did a tour organised by Father Roberto, it was very refreshing to see someone helping the poorer children of that country.

Thanks all, another question, does anyone know if Princess does the Visa thing on the ship? I have asked this on a few different roll calls, no responses as yet, hoping someone can set me straight. Am waiting on more info from my travel agent

Just come back from Cambodia travelling for 8 days through the country. I can tell you there were more than 50 tourists there at sunrise now. It was packed with tourists. It has become a pretty popular place to travel through. I had three days in Siem Reap. There is so much to see. A lot more than the main temple at Angkor Wat. Lots and lots of temple sites. Simply amazing place to visit.

Not sure about the visa thing on the ship. I got mine at the border for $25 US

Thanks all, another question, does anyone know if Princess does the Visa thing on the ship? I have asked this on a few different roll calls, no responses as yet, hoping someone can set me straight. Am waiting on more info from my travel agent

We visited Sihanoukville in early 2010 with Azamara, and the ship obtained the visa for the passengers. We have visited other Asian ports with other lines including Princess and in all instances they have obtained the visas and just charged your inboard account. However, it is always wise to double check as sometimes these procedures can change. Your TA should be able to advise what the current procedure. Have a great cruise.

I can't think why cruise lines include Cambodia. Seems like a completely daft idea.

Sorry, but I think that's nonsense - Sihanoukville is hardly the place for the holidaymaker, but it's a very interesting place for the traveller. Whereas other countries in the region - even Vietnam - are rapidly westernising, most of Cambodia is still the south-east Asia of old.

But agreed that Ankor Wat as a one-day excursion from Sihanoukville is impossible.

If Princess have baldly advertised "Sihanoukville (Ankor Wat)" as a port of call they have been very misleading.

As other posts, Ankor Wat is offered by ships as an overniter, catching up with the ship at the next port of call. Both halves of that overniter are usually by air, and the cost is eye-watering.

If Ankor Wat is a must-see, best do it as a separate vacation or -as the Kiwi suggests - tack it onto the front or back of your cruise.

Our cruise line organised visas on-board for our one day port-of-call visit, we had to do nothing in advance, & the cost (about $20) was added the our on-board account. This wasn't subject to doing a ship's excursion, we did our own thing. Wasn't Princess, but I'm pretty sure the routine will be the same.

If you want to enter or leave Cambodia other than on the ship (eg you want to add an independent trip to Ankor Wat) then I doubt the ship-issued visa will suffice.

Just my own experience & opinion

JB :)

You easily purchase a Cambodian eVisa online before you leave home. Google "eVisa" or go to the Cambodian embassy site (US) which has clearly noted links.

We did this last year - easy breezy, quick & simple, much cheaper than the cruise line will charge, no photo needed, pay by credit card. You will enter/leave Cambodia in a separate well-marked line at Siem Reap or Phnom Penh airport. Immigration officials are well versed in this so you will be admitted much quicker than passengers fumbling at the airport.

However, I am not sure if you can ENTER Sihanoukville port by eVisa. You can EXIT in Sihanoukville (we did)...but there may be a restriction getting off the ship with a Cambodian eVisa. The eVisa site will tell you exactly what points of entry/exit apply.

• 2 months later...

Two things....we were on Holland America last year in sihanoukanville....they arranged a Monday visa....very cheap for everyone...

The other thing, if anyone is interested....contact the Don Bosco school (private tour guide group) they give a wonderful. Tour.and lunch of the island and very reasonable. You can find them online. The more in the group, the cheaper. Very reliable, very enjoyable, highly recommend.

We have just booked a cruise from Singapore that stops at Sihanoukville (Angkor Wat) as the Itinerary states. After speaking to my sister that lives at Siam Reap, this is a 7 hour trip by road. The ship is only in port from 7am til 4 pm. My question is has anyone been on a cruise to this port and what happened? They are advertising Angkor Wat, but it is not doable in the time frame....... unless....... help me out here

We left the ship here, went to Siem Reap and rejoined the ship in Bangkok the next day (ship was in Bangkok for 2 nights). Very inexpensive to do on our own. You need to get your own Visa as the ones provided by the ship are by group and your can't use them to fly to Siem Reap.

What is your next port?

Archived