!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Creme brule was tasty.

DSC08220_zps4b323529.jpg

The profiteroles were just ok.

DSC08221_zps40e52212.jpg

One of my favorite things about NCL are their cheese plates. The best thing is that they offer the same cheeses at the buffet! or almost the same, at least the ones I love :D.

DSC08222_zps2a50da2a.jpg

Bistro was good, I think we might of liked it more if we were more hungry. The service was the best we had aboard Breakaway, it was spotless. I could see myself going back to Bistro in the future.

On the way back to the room I got this picture, I absolutely loved that fox. Is it a fox? I think it is.

DSC08223_zps3cbc19f0.jpg

FYI Gambee: THEE best items Le Bistro are famous for is the ESCARGOTS ( make sure you order an ANGIOPLASTY to go with that...the juice in the little holes are to die for with the baguette!!), and the Fruit Fondue, which till now is the BEST dessert we've ever had on any ship ( Carnival's Chocolate Thunder is 2nd...)..Creme Brulee was good, but not in the same league as the Fruit Fondue was...I had the medics standing by just in case...LOL...it is our favorite specialty venue on all ships, with the Oasis 150 Central Park 2nd, Teppanyaki 3rd...Love your review as always, but I wish you would have a BIT more details in your report!! LOL...LOL....Love it!

Big Al

FYI Gambee: THEE best items Le Bistro are famous for is the ESCARGOTS ( make sure you order an ANGIOPLASTY to go with that...the juice in the little holes are to die for with the baguette!!), and the Fruit Fondue, which till now is the BEST dessert we've ever had on any ship ( Carnival's Chocolate Thunder is 2nd...)..Creme Brulee was good, but not in the same league as the Fruit Fondue was...I had the medics standing by just in case...LOL...it is our favorite specialty venue on all ships, with the Oasis 150 Central Park 2nd, Teppanyaki 3rd...Love your review as always, but I wish you would have a BIT more details in your report!! LOL...LOL....Love it!

Big Al

I love bistro escargot but the one really bad dish was the escargot on the Breakaway

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370267101.246792.jpg.d066b3079b94df73c8c6a487f3e1e725.jpg

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

Big Al

When we were on the Epic we brought along rice krispie squares for the fondue... :)

Speaking about angioplasty... I enjoyed the foie gras in Le Bistro on the Sky when we first sailed NCL. Later that year when we sailed the Epic for the first time, it had been removed from the menu. Not sure if that was due to lack of interest or TOO MUCH interest (as in bad PR).

Tom

I love bistro escargot but the one really bad dish was the escargot on the Breakaway

[ATTACH]274055[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

Jim- Wow, why was it so bad? I've had the escargots 6-7 times on various NCL ships and all were great.....

Big Al

When we were on the Epic we brought along rice krispie squares for the fondue... :)

Speaking about angioplasty... I enjoyed the foie gras in Le Bistro on the Sky when we first sailed NCL. Later that year when we sailed the Epic for the first time, it had been removed from the menu. Not sure if that was due to lack of interest or TOO MUCH interest (as in bad PR).

Tom

Tom- Rice Krispie squares for the fondue??? You're killing me, Tom....

Alan

That is actually a really good topic. At first I was really hesitant about that Ittinerary, but let me tell you something 3 days are not enough for Bermuda. There is so much to do there!

You can come in and out from the **** at any time you like, it simply works like a hotel while you're there.

I remember telling my mom that I can see how people come year after year to Bermuda. That said I also miss the ship movement every night, I guess it has good things and bad.

I am really looking forward to going back to Bermuda aboard Quantum! Can't wait :)

Interesting. This situation has always intrigued me and being so close to NYC it would be easy to grab one of the ships that does this type of itinerary. I just have not been sure if it is for me. Your review has opened my mind to the possibilities.

PS: The Quantum does look cool!!

Bill

Jim- Wow, why was it so bad? I've had the escargots 6-7 times on various NCL ships and all were great.....

Big Al

I think the line cook just messed up. No garlic butter to dip in with all the cups filled with bread crumbs not just a little on top. In all fairness they did offer to make another order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

Gambee, I am absolutely LOVING this review - and all your awesome photos!

I was the same as you - only with the EPIC - (we had a group called the Epic Stalkers) and devoured all information available from the first ideas through to my actually sailing on EPIC. Unfortunately, I think I had 'too much information' and was slightly 'under-whelmed' when finally cruising on Epic.

But..since I did get some EPIC souvenirs from fellow Cruise Critics, I am carrying it forward!

I have a Breakaway one for you! I had entered a Cruise Critic contest ( I think on Facebook?) and won this coin from the keel-laying of Breakaway. If you'd like it, please email me your mailing address and I'll send it along to you. :) I think it will have a better home with you.

Photo of coin:

100_9136

Edited by pcreek

Oh wow, the water in Bermuda is breathtaking! And your pictures are gorgeous. I'm such a lazy photographer, I rarely even carry my camera around in favor of capturing everything with my iPhone. :eek:

One of these days I'll make it to Bermuda (my sailing will be headed to FL and the Bahamas - not my first choice itinerary but it coordinated with the dates we needed).

Can't wait for Day 5!

This is my first post here but very excited to go on Breakaway in July. You're review and photos are amazing Gambee. Thank you for doing this. It really gives great perspective. This will only be our 4th cruise and 3rd with NCL, all out of NYC since it's so close to home for us.

You said you replaced your underwater camera already. So what did you get? I'm researching them for this trip and trying to find best value for price. Don't want to take the nice Nikon to the certain areas.

My mom tried to get a connection near the ship, but it kept dropping. So that is why we just stuck to the one near the hut :). Glad you love the color of the water, I thought those pics came out amazing.

I am really not doing that much, I only bump the saturation to 30+ on every color. Sharpening to about 50 points and noise reduction about 7 clicks. That is pretty much all I do. I admit that on the Silli review I did much more, but it was just way too much time. I found that doing this is just perfect and I get pretty good results.

The camera is always on vivid mode so that helps a little as well. But overall I am very happy with the results of the camera.

Oh I forgot, not RAW, just straight JPEG. My computer is too slow to work with raw.

Love your review and love all your pics, too. But, really... you have your Nex on Shoot Mode = P, color = Vivid and JPEG. Do you adjust anything? Is this setting for all your lenses and for day and night shooting? Very interested on what all your settings are for your Nex. I also have an Nex but my pictures does not even come close to your pictures. love the macro pics.

Thanks,

Tita (rccruiser11)

Bermuda streets look exceptionally clean. Was that your impression of the island? It all looks gorgeous.

It was certainly my impression. The whole place was very clean, very charming, and very beautiful.

My wife and I cruised there last year, and loved it so much we decided to come back this year on the Breakaway. We can't wait. :D

Bermuda streets look exceptionally clean. Was that your impression of the island? It all looks gorgeous.

I can also chime in here - I've been to Bermuda 4 or 5 times and have always found the entire island to be clean. I've always been impressed with how polite and friendly Bermudians are, and I've always felt safe in Bermuda. I've always cruised to Bermuda as flying and staying on the island is very expensive. Out out of all the islands I've visited, Bermuda is definitely one of my favorites and one that I'd definitely go back to for a vacation where I actually stayed on the island. Can't say that about all of the islands I've visited on cruises! ;)

Gambee: May I please ask you if the pictures that you took of Spice and Vibe were on the same day? If so, I think it would be very much worth it to purchase the pass for Vibe since it looks much less crowded then the free Adult Only area. This is something that stood out to me and I am very interested in. Also, I am sailing in July so I'm sure the ship will be even more crowded.

Can I also please ask you if you can book Wasabi or is it a place you can just go to for lunch and dinner as a walk up.

Thank you very much.

People getting off the ship from the prior cruise.

DSC06027_zps6a05e359.jpg

The one thing that I noticed about this area was that there were not enough seat for everyone and people were just seating in the floor. Mom and I got lucky and got two seats.

Everyone excited to board NCL's newest ship!!!!

DSC06036_zpsb7dff6f9.jpg

It was odd the way they gave out numbers, we got 28 and were some of the first there? first cruise so not sure ow it works. there were plenty of seats when we arrived, but filled up quickly! (we are about 5 rows back in this photo, although kinda hidden lol)

I can also chime in here - I've been to Bermuda 4 or 5 times and have always found the entire island to be clean. I've always been impressed with how polite and friendly Bermudians are, and I've always felt safe in Bermuda.

It was certainly my impression. The whole place was very clean, very charming, and very beautiful.

Thanks for the responses, I was just amazed at all the photos and how clean it all looked. I'll use this as just one more reason to go to Bermuda when trying to convince hubby that we should!!

I might just have to buy that property :D. I could even build my heliport up there ;-).

DSC08149_zps031a8a60.jpg

LOL. We have been up there a few times. Our son had a classmate (and soccer mate) who lived up there with his large family. Very nice house!!

Just to pipe in here, I was thinking the same thing and then I remembered a former neighbor and his wife had just returned from a Bermuda vacation and were commenting on the cleanliness, the politeness of the Bermudans (sp?) and I remember him in particular making a comment about the cars on the island. At that time (about 15 years ago) only new cars were allowed on the island and had to be shipped off of the island once they were only a few years old, if I remember correctly. He did state the number of years they were allowed to remain there, but I can't remember the exact number. I find this very interesting that the local government is so strict about not allowing residents to let cars, structures, etc. ruin the beauty of the island.;)