!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

You have now prepped me for our Breakaway cruise, as you did for our Oasis (via your Allure review)! Thanks for the review, almost a year later and still so useful and the best I've read! Btw, I went through major withdrawal when photobucket was hosed while you were on your other cruise! 😃😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Gambee - I wanted to say that I read your Breakaway review when you posted it, just because I love your reviews - they're fantastic! I know the time that goes into them - I did a fairly long review last summer of our two Mediterranean cruises and loved sharing our experiences! Anyway, when I read your review last year I had no plans to sail the Breakaway, and even last summer I sailed on the Epic and have to say, it was just "ok". I experienced that same sort of disconnect with the staff regarding their feeling towards the ship that you mentioned. We sailed on RCL (the Navigator) the week before and the staff was phenomenal - just couldn't compare to Norwegian.

But that all being said, we just decided very last minute to sail on the Breakaway 6/8 to Bermuda and after reading your review I can't wait to spend 3 days in Bermuda! I'm still not 100% sold on the ship - so I'll wait to see about that. But your review has been incredibly helpful in my planning for our port days! It's going to be myself and my 2 kids (14 and 12) so I think we'll have a great trip! Thank you so much for all that you do. Especially for a trip like this, so last minute!

I'm looking forward to your Breeze review....and by the way - sending you a FB friend request! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

We are going crazy trying to plan a last minute getaway to Bermuda on Breakaway next week. Thank you so very much for the amazing details you have included in your lengthy review. I think I'm going to have to read this again a few times to make sure I take everything in. Wow - the best review ever! :D

Screenshot2013-04-19at120620PM_zps0cc727ea.png

Planning was a slow process. The problem was that there was very little information out there about this ship. Most of my planning was done from rumors, speculation and information about the Epic, since the ships seemed to share some similarities. NCL did have some information about specialty dining venues and other things, but overall it was not enough to go on for my usual obsessive planning. Without any Dailies there were little activities that I could actually plan for, so we just had to wing it.

Specialty Restaurants

This Dining guide can be found on the NCL website, and it offers pretty much all of the information that you need to create a dining budget. With this in hand, I had a pretty clear idea about what we wanted to try during our cruise. Please note Blue increased to $49pp (more on this later).

Screenshot2013-05-02at91009AM_zps7844ec2e.png

Image courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line

Wine

NCL offers a wine package that can get you considerable savings (up to 25%). Here is the information I found on the forum prior to our sailing, the Fleet Wide Wine List. I find some wines to be reasonably priced on NCL ships.

vivavino_zps7a50bdad.jpg

Liquor

Please don't bash me for this, but unfortunately the liquor situation was one big flaw that I saw in NCL Sky. During our cruise on the Sky, we ordered several drinks from a variety of bartenders, but unfortunately only one bartender (MDR) made the drinks with an adequate amount of liquor. Unfortunately, most drinks were watered down and weak. Even my mom said that her Pina Colada tasted like a virgin. I am not sure why, but my guess is that it stems from their training about saving money.

Fortunately for those with a thirsty palate, NCL deployed a new all you can drink alcohol package. It seems that most mainstream lines are implementing these kind of packages. The NCL one requires everyone in the cabin to get the package, and the cost is $56 + 15% for gratuities, or $46 for the basic one. Although an option for some, this was not ideal for us, as it was simply too expensive to purchase for the both of us.

18282GroupBeverageFlyer_zps606cd2e3.jpg

Another option they offer is the Stateroom Bar Setup. This was a much better option for us, as I can control how much liquor to add to each drink. The bar setup has to be ordered at least one week prior to sailing (although some people claim they were able to order up to the day before). Once onboard, you will not be able to purchase it. You have to call the main reservations line to place your order (1-800-327-7030). If you bought your cruise from a TA and they are having trouble placing the order, just tell them to process it as a gift from someone else.

Here is the list of current liquor bottle prices. (Plus $3 service fee per bottle)

Screenshot2013-01-02at114245PM_zpsae72e570.png

Screenshot2013-01-02at114355PM_zps6f4e3d18.png

Internet

When we sail, my mom needs to stay in contact with my grandmother and family in Colombia. So for this sailing we opted to go by the minute and buy the internet package in Bermuda for $15 for 3 days, I will get into that later. The internet was to be used solely for my mom to communicate with family. Okay I lied, I did sneak a peek on Facebook here and there =). For email access on my mac I use Sparrow, it is the simplest and fastest email client I have tried and is perfect for cruising.

Internet plans:

Pay as you go: $0.75 per minute

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

I noticed these 2 more plans were added on the last day.

15 minutes for $8.25

30 minutes for $12.00

*One time activation fee of $3.95 for all plans.

Spa and Vibe Club

On this cruise, we were interested in purchasing a few day passes or a week pass for the steam room and spa pools. Unfortunately I thought the cost was going to be the same as Epic, with the price increase we decided not to do it. Cost for the Spa is $49 per person, per day (only Port days) , or $200 per person for the weekly pass.

We were also interested in buying a day pass or week pass for the Vibe Club. The only real reason why we considered it was for the access to two additional hot tubs.

Here is the cost for Vibe:

Day access passes will be $20 per person

Week access passes will be $79 per person

Full Sea Day Cabana Rentals – $99 for two guests

(includes day pass and $30 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe)

Full Port Day Cabana Rental - $79 for two guests

(includes day pass and $30 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe)

Full Cruise Cabana Rental - $299 for two guests

(includes week pass and $100 food and beverage credit to be used in Vibe)

Cabana price will reflect on guest purchasing and any guest wanting to access Vibe will need to pay the access pass.

Other Costs

* We also had to account for the $20 per person to go to the ice bar, since we were interested in visiting it.

* My mom usually gets the soda package (@$6.25 per day) as she likes to have several sips of fresh bubbly Coke throughout the day. The problem with NCL is that they don't offer Coke products, so in the end she decided not to get the package.

* And of course, gratuities, which are $12 per person, per day. I usually end up giving extra on the side.

Trip Insurance

As suggested by many fellow CC members, I went to Insure My Trip and shopped around for travel insurance. My mom wanted some kind of insurance just in case we needed to be lifted out the ship in case of an emergency. We ended settling for HCC Medical Insurance Services with the Atlas International plan. The total was $34.16 for both of us.

Coupon Book

Here is the 2013 Coupon Book. From what I learned from other CC members, the 2012 book was better than the 2013 one. It seems to me that the coupons are mainly to get you to spend extra money on things that wouldn’t normally do otherwise. I wish they had at least one coupon for a specialty restaurant deal; I was looking forward for one of those.

If you have any further questions, you can email them at groupevent(insert your ship name here)@ncl dot com. I got the fastest response from that email.

Is there a 2014 Onboard Coupon Book? Would love to get it before our trip Sunday!

You should have gotten the coupons when you downloaded your edocs. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Up to Chapter 22 on the Breeze review. Thanks Gambee. Fantastic.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

You should have gotten the coupons when you downloaded your edocs. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Strange. I didn't get them.

Log on to your reservation. Click on download edocs.

Below the link to print your luggage tags should be a link to the coupons.

See photo. Hope this helps. Not worth the effort though.

ImageUploadedByForums1402361330.926234.jpg.675505ab8635b6c133152de16e7bbc49.jpg

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Glad you're liking it Robin :)

Log on to your reservation. Click on download edocs.

Below the link to print your luggage tags should be a link to the coupons.

See photo. Hope this helps. Not worth the effort though.

[ATTACH]315603[/ATTACH]

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

That link is missing from my edocs. Do you know what the coupons are? I will call & complain if there is anything worth it.

I don't have them with me at work.

10% off spa on a port day

$100 off any medi-spa cosmetic service over $500

20% off two personal training sessions

You have to spend a lot of $$$ to get the discounts.

Here's a pic of a few. Not sure if it will be readable.

ImageUploadedByForums1402424833.180135.jpg.d2e9262441ac8f89631513fecbd295f1.jpg

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

I don't have them with me at work.

10% off spa on a port day

$100 off any medi-spa cosmetic service over $500

20% off two personal training sessions

You have to spend a lot of $$$ to get the discounts.

Here's a pic of a few. Not sure if it will be readable.

[ATTACH]315682[/ATTACH]

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thanks Robin. I'd actually really like the port day spa one & the photo one(s). I guess maybe I should call NCL. Do you think I don't have the link because I purchased through a travel agent?

• 1 month later...

WONDERFUL REVIEW! I am thinking about the Getaway and concerned about the waterslides. We just got off the Breeze and my 8 year old son loved the slides! He is about 50 inches tall and is about 55lbs will he not be able to ride the waterslides if not this will be a a deal breaker in booking the Getaway! THANKS

WONDERFUL REVIEW! I am thinking about the Getaway and concerned about the waterslides. We just got off the Breeze and my 8 year old son loved the slides! He is about 50 inches tall and is about 55lbs will he not be able to ride the waterslides if not this will be a a deal breaker in booking the Getaway! THANKS

Not sure, the rules for the slides are somewhere in the review. I know I took the pictures, just not sure where they are at. I am sure he can go on the twist ones for sure. But the Shute is the one with tons of rules. Best of luck.

Thanks I did see the pictures with the restrictions I just wasn't sure if it was for all the slides. Earlier I went to your site where the review is done without comments and I enjoyed them especially the review on the Breeze she is truly a Great Ship! Keep up the great reviews I can't

wait for you to take another cruise :)

He just won't be able to do the 2 drop slides. You need to be at least 99 lbs for those. Our daughter is also 50 inches tall, but she's almost 80 lbs and still can't do those. But she can't wait to do the others, plus the Hippo slide on GSC is also good for them.

I know this is late and random as the review is old but was just brought to my attention.

I'm thinking my next cruise we are going to try NCL. But I really really want to get my Mom a good retirement gift and a cruise from New York (she lives in Jersey) would be awesome. Especially if she can get her twin sister to go. They have cruised out of NOLA and Miami and both love it.

I just spent over an hour on your website and am going to go through all of them.

I wish you had the Dream too. (CCL)

Great pictures and great writing style.

I know this is late and random as the review is old but was just brought to my attention.

I'm thinking my next cruise we are going to try NCL. But I really really want to get my Mom a good retirement gift and a cruise from New York (she lives in Jersey) would be awesome. Especially if she can get her twin sister to go. They have cruised out of NOLA and Miami and both love it.

I just spent over an hour on your website and am going to go through all of them.

I wish you had the Dream too. (CCL)

Great pictures and great writing style.

The CCL Dream is fairly similar to the Breeze, so that review should give you a gist of what the Dream has to offer. I am in the process sailing as many ships as possible, but life and finances keep getting in the way :D

That sounds like a great gift to give your mom, she should enjoy it quite a bit!