Carol Marlow leaving

Pennbank

If people want to defect to Fred Olsen or Saga then let them, P&O needs to set their standards higher than those lines and not aim to compete with the bottom feeders.

What makes you say the Fred Olsen is a "bottom feeder". You don't list having cruised on Fred Olsen so how can you judge. I have sailed many times on both P&O and Fred Olsen and I can assure you that currently Fred is much better than P&O especially since P&O started their cutbacks a couple of years ago. I cannot comment on Saga as I have never sailed with them.

The dress code on Fred Olsen is now all smart casual apart from the one or two formal nights a week. On our upcoming Fred cruise of 16 nights, 3 are formal and the rest are smart casual - no requirement to wear a jacket and/or tie if you don't want to.

Re P&O and travel agents. We booked last autumn with a travel agent for a cruise this August. We'd used the same travel agent previously and they had been able to obtain some discounts for us when booking with P&O, but this time they said P&O were cutting everything to the bone and would not allow the TAs any leeway. The best she could do was get us free parking AND onboard credit.

Then, out of the blue, last month we received a letter from P&O saying that they were no longer dealing with the travel agent, and that henceforth we should regard our booking as being direct with them and address any queries direct to P&O. There was a very unpleasant tone about the letter, which suggested that the TA had gone bust. We were asked to send all kinds of documents to confirm that we had paid the holiday balance, when in fact we had actually received confirmation that P&O had received the balance before the letter came from P&O.

A couple of days later I was contacted by the TA, who was most apologetic about the way everything had been done. She said that without any warning P&O had said it no longer wished to do business with them, as it wanted to handle all bookings direct. She was particularly upset because letters and phone calls from P&O to other PAX who had booked through the TA implied fraud, money going missing, the possibility that people might lose their holidays... none of which was true. Last I heard the lawyers were getting involved.:(

IMHO P&O has treated the TA very shabbily, and the nasty insinuations it made in its letters and telecons do it no credit at all. If this is the company's attitude then it's no wonder the majority of PAX feel things are going downhill and I, for one, will think twice and three times before booking P&O again.

Re P&O and travel agents. We booked last autumn with a travel agent for a cruise this August. We'd used the same travel agent previously and they had been able to obtain some discounts for us when booking with P&O, but this time they said P&O were cutting everything to the bone and would not allow the TAs any leeway. The best she could do was get us free parking AND onboard credit.

Then, out of the blue, last month we received a letter from P&O saying that they were no longer dealing with the travel agent, and that henceforth we should regard our booking as being direct with them and address any queries direct to P&O. There was a very unpleasant tone about the letter, which suggested that the TA had gone bust. We were asked to send all kinds of documents to confirm that we had paid the holiday balance, when in fact we had actually received confirmation that P&O had received the balance before the letter came from P&O.

A couple of days later I was contacted by the TA, who was most apologetic about the way everything had been done. She said that without any warning P&O had said it no longer wished to do business with them, as it wanted to handle all bookings direct. She was particularly upset because letters and phone calls from P&O to other PAX who had booked through the TA implied fraud, money going missing, the possibility that people might lose their holidays... none of which was true. Last I heard the lawyers were getting involved.:(

IMHO P&O has treated the TA very shabbily, and the nasty insinuations it made in its letters and telecons do it no credit at all. If this is the company's attitude then it's no wonder the majority of PAX feel things are going downhill and I, for one, will think twice and three times before booking P&O again.

I would be very careful what you say, if you are correct and lawyers are involved.

Do not take anything at face value said to you by your TA or P&O. Anybody who replies to this should keep that in mind.

Dai

This is what Princess Cruises think of Travel Agents........

Travel agents remain 'critical' to Princess Cruises, particularly in challenging times, according to the line's sales chief.

Sales and marketing executive vice president Jan Swartz, speaking at the naming of new ship Royal Princess in Southampton, highlighted the value of the trade for giving reassurance to potential passengers.

With the cruise industry under a cloud due to the highly publicised technical issues involving sister brand Carnival Cruise Lines, she said: "Travel agents remain the vast majority of sourcing for our business and they are critical to us.

"In challenging times they are even more critical with consumers looking for reassurance."

UK director Paul Ludlow said the launch of 3,600-passenger Royal Princess was helping drive a strong momentum in sales from the trade in the UK on the back of simplified commercial terms for agents.

The move upwards to 10% commission in a break from the 5% paid by sister Carnival UK brands P&O Cruises and Cunard will be reviewed annually. The earliest any decision to make changes will be made is when programmes for 2015 go on sale. He added that business from the UK is looking very strong.

I would agree that there are aspects of Fred Olsen that are much, much better than P&O. OK their ships are smaller and do not have all the added extras, but we don't all need those. I don't do speciality dining for example. their buffets leaving P&O standing. White tablecloths and linen napkins and you don't wander around looking for a table, you just wait for a minute or two and they find you one.

I couldn't care less who is running P&O - if the cruise appeals I do it, if not I go elsewhere.

I would agree that there are aspects of Fred Olsen that are much, much better than P&O. OK their ships are smaller and do not have all the added extras, but we don't all need those. I don't do speciality dining for example. their buffets leaving P&O standing. White tablecloths and linen napkins and you don't wander around looking for a table, you just wait for a minute or two and they find you one.

I couldn't care less who is running P&O - if the cruise appeals I do it, if not I go elsewhere.

The little things can count for a lot. I remember on Thomson Celebration being surprised that they serve you tea and coffee at the table if you take breakfast in the buffet. Also the waiter served cream teas etc in the explorers lounge, just like Cunard. Plus one lounge has a classical duo or trio, not something you would expect on a 'budget' cruise line.

These 'software' items need not cost the cruise line anything and make the cruise just a little bit more special. However i have the feeling that P&O and Cunards problems are down to Carnivals management style and business plan. Everything will end up looking and feeling like a Carnival cruise!

The saying "You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" comes to mind.

On a P&O cruise earlier this year there was a minor stomach bug outbreak on board so passengers were not allowed to self-serve themselves with tea/coffee or help themselves to the buffet. Extra work for the staff but they were efficient and remained cheerful and helpful. But, oh how some passengers complained...

Three days later the all clear was given and passengers (now used to being served) were free to help themselves. But, oh how some passengers complained...!

Dai,

I have no particular axe to grind with P&O, nor do I particularly favour travel agents. I've cruised 4 times in 18 years, 3 with P&O, one with RCI, decisions governed by available dates, destinations and things we are interested in.

But I know what P&O implied in its letter to me, and what the person in Customer Service said/implied during our telephone conversation when I phoned to ask whether I really needed to send a copy of cleared cheque/letter from bank/original cc statement/original cash receipt with sworn affidavit, when the fact that they had received the balance payment had already been confirmed. Whether the TA had done anything to upset P&O or not, I think it would have been more professional to simply say "We have taken a business decision to longer work with this TA because we want all bookings to be made direct with us".

I am sorry for the TA because, unlike others I have dealt with, they are courteous and efficient, but the main things is my hard-earned holiday is safe and in a little over 6 weeks I shall be boarding Azura!

Dai,

I have no particular axe to grind with P&O, nor do I particularly favour travel agents. I've cruised 4 times in 18 years, 3 with P&O, one with RCI, decisions governed by available dates, destinations and things we are interested in.

But I know what P&O implied in its letter to me, and what the person in Customer Service said/implied during our telephone conversation when I phoned to ask whether I really needed to send a copy of cleared cheque/letter from bank/original cc statement/original cash receipt with sworn affidavit, when the fact that they had received the balance payment had already been confirmed. Whether the TA had done anything to upset P&O or not, I think it would have been more professional to simply say "We have taken a business decision to longer work with this TA because we want all bookings to be made direct with us".

I am sorry for the TA because, unlike others I have dealt with, they are courteous and efficient, but the main things is my hard-earned holiday is safe and in a little over 6 weeks I shall be boarding Azura!

I was only concerned that you or anyone else said something when lawyers were involved. Remember this is an open forum.

With regard to the TA, that is clearly a matter between them and P&O and we do not have any of the facts so speculation will not help.

Gan Canny

Dai

• 4 months later...
I think they need to create some more interesting itineraries as well - out side of the World or it's sectors it is 'same old, same old', you could pick up a brochure from any of the last 5 years and the program would be the same.

quote]

Totally agree - if you read our past posts you will see that we loved Oceana in August 2010 but have been tempted back to Celebrity because of the itineraries / fly cruises. AND that doesn't mean 'like OV' --- we loved Ocean Village 2 as our first cruise and will always have fond memories BUT fly cruise does have to mean that it has to be casual / family cruising!

I hope that PO hear us

We have booked a cruise for Easter 2104 but not for our main holiday in August

I hope they listen, too. We did 3 fly cruises to the Caribbean on OV1/OV2. Then Ventura in 2010. I did not take a suit as I feel it is not appropriate dress for the Caribbean. With a 20kg limit it is difficult to take sufficient smart casual clothes for evening wear plus numerous daytime outfits.

We hoped that Ventura would continue the move to a more relaxed form of cruising but the latest changes suggest that she has become a clone of Azura.

Thomson seem to have the right blend on Dream and charge up to £1000 more for 14 night Caribbean cruise.

If Britannia goes to the Caribbean in 2015/2016 we may consider her as I am sure there will be discounted prices as is the case with Azura and Ventura.

Until the, it is back to land based for us and more Mexican magic!!!

What airline limits you to 20kg on a long haul flight! Its been 23kg or 50llb when we have gone, I'll avoid them![/QU

Thomas Cook and Thomson to Barbados from MCR to Barbados.

When we first flew it was 3Okg, then 25kg with Virgin then 20kg with T Cook.

Even 23 kg is not sufficient for our wardrobes!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
No surprise really. Treat your customers as you would like to be treated yourself what goes around comes around.:(

I have to agree entirely. I have sailed with P&O and also Cunard. My cruise from Capetown to Sydney at the start of 2014 on QM2 was a bitter disappointment! I have had superior service and food on Princess Cruises than I ever received on the Mary where a lot of the staff were surly Eastern Europeans. This was a cruise to fill a boyhood dream and it did not come close. It was easy to see that Cunard hold anyone not travelling Queens or Princess Grill as nothing more than "steerage". A recent cruise with P&O was also disappointing. What is inclusive, evening snacks/afternoon tea/room service all had to be paid for.

I was only concerned that you or anyone else said something when lawyers were involved. Remember this is an open forum.

With regard to the TA, that is clearly a matter between them and P&O and we do not have any of the facts so speculation will not help.

Gan Canny

Dai

You are most fortunate to have had so many cruises and I can only assume they have been in the northern hemisphere. unfortunately the tyranny of distance when cruising from Australia means one goes around the coast/up to Vanuatu/Numea or New Zealand or one starts/ends one trip with a flt. This of course brings in the problem of baggage weight. We like the dress evenings which entails dinner suit/ball dresses etc so can be faced with excess baggage in both directions. Incidentally, a tad pretentious listing all your cruises.

What airline limits you to 20kg on a long haul flight! Its been 23kg or 50llb when we have gone, I'll avoid them![/QU

Thomas Cook and Thomson to Barbados from MCR to Barbados.

When we first flew it was 3Okg, then 25kg with Virgin then 20kg with T Cook.

Even 23 kg is not sufficient for our wardrobes!!!!!!!!!

Time airlines set a healthy body weight as the limit for passengers and an all up weight; passenger and luggage before applying excess baggage. This would be much fairer on everyone and an incentive to those who need, to lose weight. I was charged excess luggage with Virgin, whilst at the check in next to us just ONE of the passengers would have weighed our combined weights.

Time airlines set a healthy body weight as the limit for passengers and an all up weight; passenger and luggage before applying excess baggage. This would be much fairer on everyone and an incentive to those who need, to lose weight. I was charged excess luggage with Virgin, whilst at the check in next to us just ONE of the passengers would have weighed our combined weights.

I agree. Also in the ship's lifts, the fatties who take up 2 spaces should go to the back of the queue, particularly at peak times when the theatre is emptying etc.

Edited by richleeds

I know and it takes much longer to scroll through threads on a smart phone, but some people never see the bigger picture.

If you don't like seeing peoples past cruises you can turn signatures off in the forum user control panel. Simples.

If you don't like seeing peoples past cruises you can turn signatures off in the forum user control panel. Simples.

I do, but sometimes on my iphone the app resets itself and you have to wait until you are on a laptop again to do this.

...i think you spend far too much time on this forum....:D I never use my phone to access it......the stories aren't that good!

I'm the opposite, I tend to use my laptop very little these day and do most of my internet on my iPhone.

Thing is I get a ding when someone replies to a topic to which I'm subscribed.... yes I know I can turn it off!