Balcony and smokers

Same old comment coming from a smoker.....non smokers rights do NOT supercede a smokers....however, your so called "right" to smoke does impose serious health consequences on ALL non -smokers.....what serious health side effect or consequence does a non-smoker impose on YOU??? NO COMPARISON!!!!!!

The "right" is the fact that the smoker is doing what they are legally allowed to do in the spot where they are allowed to do it by the company that is allowed to set their own policies.

If the no-smoker wants their "right" to avoid "serious health consequences" then thats pretty easy to do. Don't book a balcony on a line that allows smoking on balconies, and that may have the possibility of being next to a smoker.

its amazing that lots of the things smokers say here are ... 'but XXX is worse '

or 'if you think that is bad... what about xxx'

this thread is about smoking on the balconies. Not door slamming or babies crying or drunks getting loud or any of that. If you have an issue with them, start a new thread.

I dont post in a post about drunks.. 'well if you dont like the drunks... dont try the buffet.. its horrible.'

or

'I would rather see half naked people in the MDR than seeing drunks'

:rolleyes:

Try to stick with the topic at hand and keep it about the topic. saying something else is worse really is not keeping on topic.

As for the actual topic. I have had situations where it didnt bother me and some that definitely did. It is 100% legal to smoke on the balcony so you don't have any recourse except to ask them to work something out to allow both to enjoy the balcony. Smokers are under no obligation to work out anything with non smokers but I hope both people can work it out.

oh yeah....

and saying that the non smokers caused this complaining about all the other places is silly also because if smoking was allowed everywhere, I 100% agree it would probably be less on the balconies but it would be so much worse in every other venue. Every show, every lounge, every food area, every shop, just about everywhere could potentially be a nightmare.

Yes, smoking can affect others on the balcony but the people complaining are not looking to remove the improvements made.

Since there have been so many improvements in this area I wont complain about them at this time since I don't have a solution to the problem.

Same old comment coming from a smoker.....non smokers rights do NOT supercede a smokers....however, your so called "right" to smoke does impose serious health consequences on ALL non -smokers.....what serious health side effect or consequence does a non-smoker impose on YOU??? NO COMPARISON!!!!!!

and then you wonder why smokers get so defensive.. be an adult and talk to your smoking neighbor. it gets you further than crying does

As for the actual topic. I have had situations where it didnt bother me and some that definitely did. It is 100% legal to smoke on the balcony so you don't have any recourse except to ask them to work something out to allow both to enjoy the balcony. Smokers are under no obligation to work out anything with non smokers but I hope both people can work it out.

OK this is brought up quite frequently and I'm definately not poopooing it. But I just wonder if others use their balcony different than we do and that is why maybe everyone thinks there could be a "work out". And how one could actually "work it out".

Because we are on vacation, nothing is written in stone, we have no schedule, nor do we punch a clock. We have anytime dining for that express purpose. When we aren't out on the ship enjoying a show, or a trivia game or maybe some sun time. We relax on our balcony to watch the ocean, watch for whales, dolphins etc. We may spend 3 or 4 hours just watching the ocean or read or whatever. Do other people just go out on their balcony for 15 minutes at a time? I doubt very much if my balcony neighbor (non-smoker) is using their balcony the same way I am that we could "work it out".

On my past cruises, smoking was allowed in the cabins. If my balcony neighbor came out to sit on their balcony, I would just step inside the cabin to finish my smoke or have one, win/win. But if they decided to use their balcony like us for hours at a time, I certainly wouldn't go up 3 or 4 decks to a naughty spot each time I wanted a smoke.

How would one suggest this be "worked out"

When we were on the Valor before it left Miami...one of our stops was Jamacia and I was out suntanning and my neighbors were smoking and having an awesome time and I heard security come banging at their door and there was all this comotion and yelling on the balcony...it wasn't til my husband came out to see what was going on that I realized they weren't smoking cigerettes...my bad...we were moving so fast I really couldn't smell anything

its amazing that lots of the things smokers say here are ... 'but XXX is worse '

or 'if you think that is bad... what about xxx'

this thread is about smoking on the balconies.

Yup. Which is permitted on Carnival ships, except for spa balconies and apparently on Australian itineraries.

And that is really all that should need to be said.

Yup. Which is permitted on Carnival ships, except for spa balconies and apparently on Australian itineraries.

And that is really all that should need to be said.

I agree.. until the rules change, this is correct.

so...

as far as I am concerned

• Smokers can smoke as much as they want on the balcony
  • Non Smokers can and do get affected by it despite what smokers say
  • People should be kind and take in consideration their neighbors.

This is why I always say that I'm not going to post in these kinds of threads.....but here I am again.

I am a non-smoker, but attitudes like this will only give us non-smokers a bad name. While I believe that second-hand smoke is detrimental to health, I also believe that breathing in second-hand smoke from a bar or a balcony for a week while on a cruise probably will not do most of us in. If chronic illness gets us, it'll probably be a combination of factors, not just the smoke we inadvertently breathed in on our cruise. The health risk of the second-hand smoke (at least on cruises for one week) is not truly what this debate is about for us non-smokers, is it? Let's be honest here. It is about the fact that those of us who don't smoke hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and we wish (in a perfect world, Lol) that we didn't have to smell it at all.

Perhaps, I speak for myself, but I am in my forties, and I remember when smoking was permitted EVERYWHERE: In hospitals, in office buildings, in restaurants, on planes, etc. I can remember when my dad came home from work, and he had to hang his suit in the bathroom from the shower curtain rod to air out the smell of smoke that came from being in his office all day. So, the few places it is permitted now is a Godsend to me. Let's not blow this out of proportion. I vehemently dislike even the trickle of cigarette smoke in my direction, but I am not so arrogant to declare that it is so bad that I should be rude to my neighbor that they are infringing on my right to clean air when we are both in the out-of-doors or on my right to enjoy my balcony.

Compromise is the thing. In the spirit of a famous diplomat, I state clearly There is room for us all.

This is why I always say that I'm not going to post in these kinds of threads.....but here I am again.

I am a non-smoker, but attitudes like this will only give us non-smokers a bad name. While I believe that second-hand smoke is detrimental to health, I also believe that breathing in second-hand smoke from a bar or a balcony for a week while on a cruise probably will not do most of us in. If chronic illness gets us, it'll probably be a combination of factors, not just the smoke we inadvertently breathed in on our cruise. The health risk of the second-hand smoke (at least on cruises for one week) is not truly what this debate is about for us non-smokers, is it? Let's be honest here. It is about the fact that those of us who don't smoke hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and we wish (in a perfect world, Lol) that we didn't have to smell it at all.

Perhaps, I speak for myself, but I am in my forties, and I remember when smoking was permitted EVERYWHERE: In hospitals, in office buildings, in restaurants, on planes, etc. I can remember when my dad came home from work, and he had to hang his suit in the bathroom from the shower curtain rod to air out the smell of smoke that came from being in his office all day. So, the few places it is permitted now is a Godsend to me. Let's not blow this out of proportion. I vehemently dislike even the trickle of cigarette smoke in my direction, but I am not so arrogant to declare that it is so bad that I should be rude to my neighbor that they are infringing on my right to clean air when we are both in the out-of-doors or on my right to enjoy my balcony.

Compromise is the thing. In the spirit of a famous diplomat, I state clearly There is room for us all.

2 thumbs up from a smoker ! you are the person i would work with if you had a balcony next to me

In all the smoking threads over the years, I think this is the most intelligent post ever made by either side of the issue! Well said!

Carnival could avoid that problem by providing safe ash/butt disposal cans to their smoking passengers who book balconies. Instead of leaving them to figure out for themselves how best to safely get rid of them.

When I sailed last year for the first time in a balcony, I brought an ashtray with me, when I finished I threw the butts in the toilet ( even at home I never dump in the trash) and put the empty ashtray on the table on the balony.

When I had come back for dinner my ashtray was replaced with a plastic one with a lid by the cabin steward.

OK this is brought up quite frequently and I'm definately not poopooing it. But I just wonder if others use their balcony different than we do and that is why maybe everyone thinks there could be a "work out". And how one could actually "work it out".

Because we are on vacation, nothing is written in stone, we have no schedule, nor do we punch a clock. We have anytime dining for that express purpose. When we aren't out on the ship enjoying a show, or a trivia game or maybe some sun time. We relax on our balcony to watch the ocean, watch for whales, dolphins etc. We may spend 3 or 4 hours just watching the ocean or read or whatever. Do other people just go out on their balcony for 15 minutes at a time? I doubt very much if my balcony neighbor (non-smoker) is using their balcony the same way I am that we could "work it out".

On my past cruises, smoking was allowed in the cabins. If my balcony neighbor came out to sit on their balcony, I would just step inside the cabin to finish my smoke or have one, win/win. But if they decided to use their balcony like us for hours at a time, I certainly wouldn't go up 3 or 4 decks to a naughty spot each time I wanted a smoke.

How would one suggest this be "worked out"

are you saying you have to chain smoke for hours while you are out there? do you smoke a whole pack of cigarettes at one time while out there...

if thats you, then I dont think there can be a way to work it out but I think that might be the exception to the rule

are you saying you have to chain smoke for hours while you are out there? do you smoke a whole pack of cigarettes at one time while out there...

if thats you, then I dont think there can be a way to work it out but I think that might be the exception to the rule

Did I say anything about chain smoking? Or anything about smoking a whole pack of cigarettes? I said I sit on the balcony for that amount of time and therefore am going to be smoking while I'm there and that I'm not going to truck up 3 or 4 decks every time I want a cigarette. I asked what I thought was a fair question. Sorry you didn't see it that way.

I really don't understand why Carnival can't make one side smoking and one side non-smoking since this is such an issue. It's not rocket science and it would make everyone happy!
Too easy!:rolleyes:

On J Healds blog someone made this very logical point. John responded as follows,

"I wish that it was that simple and we could do what you suggested and have one side free of smoke. But the fact is that from

a sales point of view, it would be very unbalanced and that’s why no cruise line has taken the plunge to do this."

Although I like Healds blog, I have no idea what the hell he is saying. Are smokers heavier (or lighter) then non-smokers?

Would the ship be so unbalanced that it would tip ?:confused: If one side or the other side sold out and thats the side you wanted - TOUGH !

You should have booked earlier just like any cabin category. Duh!

Did I say anything about chain smoking? Or anything about smoking a whole pack of cigarettes? I said I sit on the balcony for that amount of time and therefore am going to be smoking while I'm there and that I'm not going to truck up 3 or 4 decks every time I want a cigarette. I asked what I thought was a fair question. Sorry you didn't see it that way.

woah... chill... I didnt mean for you to take offense.

you said while you are there for hours and you didnt think there could be a compromise so I assumed you meant that you smoked from the time you got on the balcony till the time you left. that would be a lot of cigarettes. if you only smoked one or 2 cigarettes then there can be some compromise.

I didnt mean any harm by it. If you only smoked a few cigarettes then if you heard someone go on the balcony you could finish a cigarette and wait until they left before starting another.

its rare when I see 2 balconies next to each other staying on the balcony for hours at the exact same time.. that would be the exception to the rule.

there is room for compromise here

Too easy!:rolleyes:

On J Healds blog someone made this very logical point. John responded as follows,

"I wish that it was that simple and we could do what you suggested and have one side free of smoke. But the fact is that from

a sales point of view, it would be very unbalanced and that’s why no cruise line has taken the plunge to do this."

Although I like Healds blog, I have no idea what the hell he is saying. Are smokers heavier (or lighter) then non-smokers?

Would the ship be so unbalanced that it would tip ?:confused: If one side or the other side sold out and thats the side you wanted - TOUGH !

You should have booked earlier just like any cabin category. Duh!

Do you really think he's talking about weight or are you being facetious? :confused:

He means that it's unfair to say half the balconies are for smokers and half are for non-smokers. It presents a number of problems:

1. Someone will always complain that they prefer the other side of the ship.

2. People will complain a 50/50 split isn't fair because it doesn't represent the number of smokers/non-smokers on the ship.

3. People will ALWAYS complain anyway.

Well said. The Mods should just sticky this and anytime someone starts another smoking thread it should automatically be linked to this post and the thread closed.

Each cruise, we have had a balcony, each cruise, we have had smokers on each side of us. Each time we smell the smoke. It ruins it for me, but I still love the balcony. Our oldest DS has asthma and it bothers me he cannot enjoy the balcony thanks to the neighbors. I feel each cabin paid for their cruise and each cabin should be able to enjoy their respective balcony, but it seems like the nonsmokers don't get much say. I will admit, on our last cruise, the person next to us apologized to my DH for the amount of smoking they were doing, but they still did it. We try to not let it bother us, try to only go out when I know they are not out.

I feel each cabin paid for their cruise and each cabin should be able to enjoy their respective balcony, but it seems like the nonsmokers don't get much say.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Quick story...I am a smoker. Yep, the inconsiderate guy. Now when I am in the casino at one of the Roulette tables, the designated smoking one (you know the one I am allowed to smoke at?) I will get up from the table and step back 10 or so feet to light up a cig as I don't want to annoy those non smokers that chose to play at the SMOKING table. I do this out of respect for them as I want them to have fun with me at the table. I am all about having a great time and I know that the smoke drifting from my hand is annoying as heck...it annoys me. SO, I get up for a minute and get my breath of polluted air then sit back down. Not once have I not got a 'thank you' from the non smokers at the table. However, on our last Magic cruise when I went to step back from the table the PB told me that I have to be playing at the table or a slot in order to smoke??? I told him I was doing my tablemates a favor but to no avail I had to either walk to the bar OR light up next to everyone at the table. Sooooooo my dear friends, what to do, what to do? You tell me. I would LOVE for a non smoker to enlighten me on this. Yeah, quit smoking. Try to do better than that when replying.

Then my dear friends there are the balcony anti smoking people. These are a special breed of folks. Again on our last Magic cruise I was out on our balcony when departing the Galveston shipping channel. My neighbors to the right were out there as well and they were smoking. I was like "cool, this will work" as again I wish not to put a damper on someones vacation with my habit. Now the following sea day I am out on the balcony with a cold one and a smoke waiting on my wife to get ready. It wasn't two minutes until the chic, who was out there with smokers the previous day, yells and I mean YELLS "I wish I could enjoy my balcony without smelling smoke!" and she slams the already heavy door shut. My wife comes out there and asks *** was that noise. I basically said the neighbor is trippin. Now you can guess what happens from this point. I don't give a dang about the non smokers on a balcony, on a ship, under power, at sea the remainder of the cruise.

Look, if you really have a problem with someone smoking on their balcony when the ship is underway, at sea, outside, in the wind then you are really in a bad situation as someone that was very sympathetic to your concerns now no longer give a F. Carnival has rules that prohibit me from being the 'friendly smoker' on a smoking Roulette table.

As for a lit cig being flicked off a balcony and catching fire...it has happened before. Google it. However, Carnival will gladly put a ashtray on the balcony at your request so enough of that bogus excuse. Fires happen, ask RC.

Now to finish off my quick reply...My friends, you have soo much more to worry about when it comes to your health on a cruise ship. Hmmm, the kids that go to the bathroom on the Lido deck and head straight for the soft server ice cream machine and put their hands all over it. Or the ever thoughtful parent that allows their baby in the pool when the baby obviously isn't wearing waterproof diapers. That is always a nice sight. Hello parents??? Your child isn't potty trained, stay out of the pool. Duh. They teach that on the first day of parenting class. And how can forget the burly drunk in the casino who gets up to go to the bathroom every five minutes who you witness doesn't wash his hands yet you, yes YOU, just sat down on the slot he was just playing. Yummy. And what would this story be without mentioning the buffet. Ahh, yes, the buffet. There is nothing more disgusting then sitting at a table by the buffet while the drunks on coming back on the ship during a port day. The drunks are in prime form. Trust me. No, on your next cruise be sure to set a few minutes aside and observe for yourself. Y'all are worried about a smoker on a balcony that you know they have a right to be on?

Priorities my friends, priorities. Pick your battles. Smokers on their balconies are the least of your health concerns during a cruise.

I noticed some people complained about the ashtrays [or lack of] that Carnival provides. Walmart sells an ashtray called Butt Bucket in the auto supply section. We orignally bought them for cars without ashtrays as they fit in the beverage holder. Now I carry one on every trip or cruise in a large ziplock bag. It is about 4 inches high and has a small opening for the cigarette butt. Cuts down on the odor too. Last cruise I got tired of carrying it back and forth so I taped the bag to that heavy metal table. Costs less than $3. They are becoming so popular I found some knockoffs in the dollar store.

When I sailed last year for the first time in a balcony, I brought an ashtray with me, when I finished I threw the butts in the toilet ( even at home I never dump in the trash) and put the empty ashtray on the table on the balony.

When I had come back for dinner my ashtray was replaced with a plastic one with a lid by the cabin steward.

The ship's engineer would probably prefer that you didn't do that- the marine sanitation system is designed to handle human waste and toilet paper. Anything else can cause big problems.

I have never heard the one side versus the other thing. We are not smokers and had the unfortunate experience of being next to a smoker last year.

We will be in a wrap on the Breeze and my hope is that we will not be bothered with smoke. Can't stand the smell of smoke and suffer from serious asthma.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Archived