Best time to book Choice Air

Michigan honey

We have booked a transatlantic cruise from Miami to Rome on the Reflection for April 2014. Checking Choice Air I find that the lowest one way fare from Rome to JFK is 2200. I realize that we are still about 10 1/2 months out. When can we expect the fares to drop? What is the best time to purchase a Choice Air ticket? Thanks!

We have booked a transatlantic cruise from Miami to Rome on the Reflection for April 2014. Checking Choice Air I find that the lowest one way fare from Rome to JFK is 2200. I realize that we are still about 10 1/2 months out. When can we expect the fares to drop? What is the best time to purchase a Choice Air ticket? Thanks!

If you have the time and patience, you'll probably do better on your own with individual airline web sites and airfare web sites, or have your TA search for you, as opposed to Choice Air. We have always purchased our own airfare, including Asia last January and Europe this coming August, and have saved a significant amount of money. The amount saved more than covered the fact that no one met us at the airport or transferred us to the hotel/ship.

I'd be setting up a fare alert on a number of web sites for Miami to Rome and start making final choices by at least three months out from your needed flight. Just a suggestion. :)

Are you looking for business or first class? I just checked and found several nonstop flight for under $500. We've used Choice Air three times and have had excellant results. Paying 1/3 or 1/4 the price of booking directly through the air lines doesn't hurt either.

I realize that we are still about 10 1/2 months out. When can we expect the fares to drop? !

I don't know if you can EXPECT fares to,drop. They may, but I am pretty sure you can do better than $2200 - even if you're flying business.

If you have the time and patience, you'll probably do better on your own with individual airline web sites and airfare web sites, or have your TA search for you, as opposed to Choice Air. We have always purchased our own airfare, including Asia last January and Europe this coming August, and have saved a significant amount of money. The amount saved more than covered the fact that no one met us at the airport or transferred us to the hotel/ship.

I'd be setting up a fare alert on a number of web sites for Miami to Rome and start making final choices by at least three months out from your needed flight. Just a suggestion. :)

Wow! I totally disagree with this. I think you are thinking about Celebrity's air/sea package. On our last two TA's, we got return air from Europe, once from Paris and once from London, non-stop to San Francisco, on ChoiceAir for $600 or less. I checked multiple websites, including the one that gives you every fare and doesn't try to sell you anything, http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and never found anything CLOSE to the Choice Air pricing. I'm talking a difference of $2500 vs $500.

On round trip flights, Choice Air doesn't seem to be as good; but for one way flights before or after a TA I think it's unbeatable.

Also, I checked fares when we first started looking at the cruise in January, and I didn't book until April, and the fares never varied more than $10.

So, to the OP, be patient!! You have tons of time!! DO check other sites so you know a good fare when you see it--I think you are looking too far in the future right now.

Are you searching multi cities? Michigan to Miami and Rome to Michigan , it will usually give a higher rate

Try searching One way Rome to Michigan , usually gives a much lower rate

We paid under $500.00 per person to FCO one way booked through Choice Air for a cruise last December.

I just checked for your cruise. I find KLM for $518.31!!! Where were you looking??

We used Choice Air last month. FCO-JFK, and our fare (booked 7 months prior) was $550 each/one way. We did upgrade directly with the airlines and paid an additional fare for better seating though. Unless you're looking at 1st class seating, your fare seems a bit on the high side.

I disagree that you will find lower prices than Choice Air. I have searched for varioous flights for two years and have never found anyone who could match or beat Choice Air.

The last two times we have booked airfare for a TA, we booked for Spring about 8 months out and for this year's TA from Barcelona we booked in January. Flight from Rome to JFK was a bit over $600 each and the flight this fall cost $440 each to Barcelona from EWR.

I have looked for next April, as we are taking another TA to Amsterdam. On the JFK site, prices have been listed but EWR appears to have the prices of flights which are not for next year, but rather prices for those who bought just before their flights for this year Amsterdam TA. Those costs were also $2200, about what you might expect for International travel booked close to flight date..

Take a look around at different airports, as it appears that not all airports currently have scheduled their Spring flights for next year, at least in our case. I would be very surprised if your cost is over $550 next Spring. For instance, since JFK has, in our case, some flights scheduled for April next year, just try a dummy booking to see what you get for a price. I know that is not where you will be leaving from, but it will give you a better idea. Not all flights are listed 10 months out

We are checking daily to see if EWR flights are up yet, as we prefer that airport to JFK in the Spring.

Does the "Quick Flight Search Only" option give you the same fares as when you submit a date on the "Search and Make a Reservation" button? I have been searching random cruises on the "Quick Flight Search Only" option and can't get it to pull up any low fare options. Am I missing something?

As far as I can tell the quick search is the same. We have been in the process of planning a big trip to Australia and New Zealand. Flying all the way from Florida is $$$. After reading many threads I figured out is is best to book as early as possible. When the airlines open flights 330 days out they are usually the best fares. We booked our first flight to NZ for $808 from LA on Choice. Kayak and Air New Zealand had the same fare but booking thru Choice the fare is refundable with a fee of $150. Just in case we have some major issue and have to cancel. Just two days ago we booked our flights home from Honolulu for $404 thru Choice again this time on American. Also refundable with the same fee. Same fares as going direct to American or Kayak. Not all flights thru Choice are refundable but early in the booking process some are and it is nice to have that option for the very same fare. I read on one thread to New Zealand for the same cruise we are going on that in the fall Air New Zealand had a sale that lasted only few hours. Fares dropped so much that even with having to pay the cancellation fee people came out ahead so....plan ahead when ever possible. We also did a TA last fall. Booked rather late but got a great deal $499 inside for 15 days on the Connie plus $250 onboard credit. Even close to the sailing the airfare was cheaper thru Choice by $100 from Miami to London. It was not refundable but I checked every online site and airline and Choice was the best. I always shop around for everything. Have to stretch our retirement $$$ to the max!

I've always had good luck with Choice Air but I've found that some of the best deals don't show up on Choice Air (maybe it's due to my home airport being in Canada). Once I find a good fare Choice Air has been able to match (or beat it).

I'd keep checking and as soon as you find a fare that you feel is decent I'd book it. You could hold out for a lower fare but given how rapidly they seem to change these days I'd grab whatever works for you.

Archived