Plug sockets on eclipse

sooz10

Hi does anyone know if the sockets are USA or European on the eclipse, also if if anyone has stayed in the family rooms 8107 how many there are. Thanks

The European sockets are 220v/240v whilst the US sockets are 110v.

Sue

Take a converter with you which will then give you three American plugs to use.

We purchased one made by Belkin for use with 110v outlets, model BZ103050-TVL. It has three outlets, surge protection, two USB ports, and the pins rotate 360 degrees to fit in almost any socket position. It is available for $10.18 on Amazon at time of writing this post. http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Travel-Charger-Protector/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370889093&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin

372.jpg

Be careful that you are using a real voltage converter, not just a plug adapter or you might burn your appliance out

It depends on what you want to do. We use the simple plug adapters, which run just a couple dollars, with our electronics such as chargers which are 220V compatible (it will say so someplace on the item). I avoid voltage converters as I've found them tricky and problematic and there is no reason to use them on the ship. For land travel I only use items which are compatible with the local voltage. The only item we really needed which was not was my DW's hair dryer and we bought a travel unit with 110/220V switch on it for less than a decent voltage converter.

A warning for those who take their American appliances to Europe. Be sure that your appliances are adaptable to 220/240. I made the mistake of plugging in my US curling iron with just an adapter in the UK. It melted! Closely check to see that it can be used with European voltage.

I have one of these, and can't recommend it highly enough for travel. I love pulling it out at airport and being a hero among smartphone users who are all low battery.

But a fair warning to everyone buying one - NEVER use that with a plug adapter in a foreign plug. The protection circuitry will treat the 240V as a surge and pop the fuse or burn the entire device.

If you check your appliances/electronics, you will see that many are dual voltage and it will say 110/220 or something close to that in the fine print. I bought some travel hot rollers and they worked great in Europe with just a plug adapter. It was a very pleasant surprise.

The FV's have the identical set up since they use the same furnishings as in the regular cabins--the dresser/desk unit is exactly the same.

Since the OP is from the UK it's slightly different. iPads and iPhones or anything using a USB power adapter will be fine with either a euro to UK or USA to UK adapter. I have one euro and two US

For something needing power like a laptop or a hairdryer you would need a switching power supply (i.e some laptops will do both 110/230v) or a converter to downgrade your power.

....For something needing power like a laptop or a hairdryer you would need a switching power supply (i.e some laptops will do both 110/230v) or a converter to downgrade your power.

Just curious....Couldn't they just use a simple UK to Euro plug adapter in the Euro 220V outlet without a converter? Seems like the ship offer all common voltages even if they don't offer all common outlet shapes.

Just curious....Couldn't they just use a simple UK to Euro plug adapter in the Euro 220V outlet without a converter? Seems like the ship offer all common voltages even if they don't offer all common outlet shapes.

The simple answer is "yes".

As UK items are 220v-240v, they can use the Euro 220v outlet with no problem with an adaptor. They can also be used with an adaptor [not convertor] in the US style sockets but some items will not run as well if they are not dual voltage. Some chargers will not charge as fast with 110v [e.g. our mobile 'phones - although not necessarily all - and our Kindles] and anything with a motor [e.g. a hair dryer].

I usually travel with two US and two European adaptors. They are really cheap and take up little space. On the ship, I will usually use the European style sockets but may need the US adaptors in hotels. Also, sometimes the sockets on ships [e.g. in the dressing area of the M-class RS], the sockets are underneath the counter, facing to the floor. The US plugs are not as tight a fit as UK and European plugs and the extra weight means that it is hard to keep the plug/adaptor in the socket.

Sue

Thanks for all your replies I was not sure whether sockets were USA or Europe as need some for. Medical equipment which is dual voltage for our child. Special needs a aware as all cruise lines come and check the machines before we use them just that they never said what sockets were in cabin. Thanks

If you check your appliances/electronics, you will see that many are dual voltage .....
Very true. All the appliances/electronics we travel with that were purchased during the past ten years are dual voltage, including hair dryer and cell phone charger and electric toothbrush.

We keep a small bag of plug adapters in the suitcase and are good to go anywhere.

Archived