Is a Big Boat Whale Watch worth it? (Juneau)

odyzander

Did not plan ahead and would be left with cruise line whale watch. I have read enough to know that these boats typically have 150 people on them. I really wanted a small boat but procrastinated and now we are about 2 weeks out. So I am left wondering if these big boats are worth the expense or should we skip it and just do mendenhall glacier and a few other things?

Anyone wait until the day of to make that call?

I would keep searching but if you are pretty sure that you will never be in Alaska again, go ahead with the big boat. One of my tablemates told us that they were going on the ship's excursion and I cringed but didn't say anything since they had already booked. Sure enough, the one said she saw just one whale and the other person saw zero because she was always on the wrong side of the ship when it was sighted. Also, depends if you are six feet tall or 5'2" like me...

We've done the whale watch ship excursion several times (4or 5 times) and always felt we got full value .... we still talk about some of the sightings. It is different, but not a "poor" substitute. Last time DH and I went, we saw orcas, orcas, orcas, orcas :D and humpbacks. It was amaaaaaaaaaaazing. We'd do it again. We've also done small boat whale watches near Tofino.

Friends did the ship shorex and saw bubble feeding..... not too shabby :D

We did the HAL excursion in Juneau & had a great time. The people that were content to stay indoors sat on the bench seating in the lower level. We went to the upper level (2 deck boat), and had no problems getting on the rail for shots. We had seating available behind the wheelhouse, but chose to stay out on the open deck to take in the view. Next time we'll do a small boat trip, but the ship excursions are perfectly enjoyable. As far as sightings, that's the luck of the draw. We saw a ton of orcas & humpbacks on our trip.

Allen Marine, the operator most used by the cruise lines, does an excellent job of locating the whales. The large boat is comfortable with inside and outside viewing areas. If you're able to climb steps to the upper outside viewing areas, you should be able to see just about everything. Be sure to check with these independent operators for availability: Harv & Marv, Orca Enterprises and Alaska Galore. Any way you do it, you won't have any regrets. Gorgeous scenery and abundant wildlife--humpbacks, orcas, Stellar sea lions, harbor seals, Dall's porpoises, Pacific Whiteside Dolphins, bald eagles and any number of water fowl--make it well worth the $$ in my view. If we had to choose only one excursion for the entire cruise, whale watching out of Juneau would be IT!

Did not plan ahead and would be left with cruise line whale watch. I have read enough to know that these boats typically have 150 people on them. I really wanted a small boat but procrastinated and now we are about 2 weeks out. So I am left wondering if these big boats are worth the expense or should we skip it and just do mendenhall glacier and a few other things?

Anyone wait until the day of to make that call?

The whale watching was fantastic!!! We went first week of August. They were all bubble feeding. Would go again in a heartbeat!?!!

You will have to be accepting of spacing at the rail, it can get crowded. I'm surprised you can't find any small boats? This is a tour with a lot of walk up space, usually, with over 20 vendors now doing whale watches (some aren't stand outs, but people seem happy)

Have you looked at several vendors?

I do use the big boats on my multiple trips out of Gloucester- which average 8/10 trips in a week (I've got a sweet deal with my long time vendor :) ) I have excellent trips on a slightly smaller boat than what Allen Marine uses.

I just did it through Carnival on the Miracle in Juneau. Boat wasn't that big and not over crowded at all. Plenty of places to see whales and other wildlife. The captains know their stuff and the laws and do everything to give you a great experience. We weren't on the boat 10 minutes when we saw a gam of whale bubble feeding. We watched them as law as legally allowed, a long time. Saw a single whale very close to shore exhibiting behavior the nature-ist on board had never witnessed, side bubble feeding like. Over and over we saw the whale. Saw plenty of bald eagles, seals, sea lions. Best tour of the trip. Go for it!

Allen Marine, the operator most used by the cruise lines, does an excellent job of locating the whales. The large boat is comfortable with inside and outside viewing areas. If you're able to climb steps to the upper outside viewing areas, you should be able to see just about everything. Be sure to check with these independent operators for availability: Harv & Marv, Orca Enterprises and Alaska Galore. Any way you do it, you won't have any regrets. Gorgeous scenery and abundant wildlife--humpbacks, orcas, Stellar sea lions, harbor seals, Dall's porpoises, Pacific Whiteside Dolphins, bald eagles and any number of water fowl--make it well worth the $$ in my view. If we had to choose only one excursion for the entire cruise, whale watching out of Juneau would be IT!

Agree 100%!

The small boats most people are referring to (such as H&M) only take 6 passengers, is that what you're talking about?

I didn't see any boats that small. The boats were rather small and seemed to have about 15 people or more on board crowding the railing. The boat would tand to go much lower into the water on the side all the people were standing on. Our boat towered over them but was very, very comfortable with plenty of railing room for everyone. Never had to stand behind someone.

Archived