Carnival leaving Galveston?

Blondie70

It will never happen. The reason the magic came to Galveston is because those leaving out of Galveston spend more money on all the crap in the shops and more on booze. The mark up on that stuff is crazy.

The person then followed up saying he thought Carnival was cutting down on their cruises for a while after all the issues they'd had and they'd come back after a couple of year. After that comment...which made absolutely no sense to me...I kind of cut his credibility on the issue. Another person in the conversation said Disney was not only leaving Galveston but ending their cruise line altogether.

All of it sounded very counter-intuitive to me, but I had no information, so I didn't join in the conversation except to say "how surprising!" :p

I knew I could come here for the real blow-by-blow!!!

I would not be surprised to see Carnival start retiring these older ships at a faster pace (hence why they are leaving certain markets). I think they might be wandting to rebuild PR by ditching the "old clunkers" for newer ships - but it's going to take time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I believe that it is Disney who is not renewing their contract with the Galveston port.

That's because they are ridculously overpriced and most Texans aren't gawdy and spend money like people in Florida and California. Ever check the current prices for a Disney vacation for a family? Even for one person to visit their themeparks, it is ridiculous the amount needed to stay only a few days.

No mention in the local news about Carnival leaving Galveston. NCL and another cruise line have signed a multi-year contract to sail out of the new Bayport cruise terminal starting in the fall of 2014.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would not be surprised to see Carnival start retiring these older ships at a faster pace (hence why they are leaving certain markets). I think they might be wandting to rebuild PR by ditching the "old clunkers" for newer ships - but it's going to take time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

wouldn't they have to order a few new ships first before retiring the old clunkers? and since they only have one on order I'm doubting that they are retiring any ships. they might be planning on "sunshining" a few though.

wouldn't they have to order a few new ships first before retiring the old clunkers? and since they only have one on order I'm doubting that they are retiring any ships. they might be planning on "sunshining" a few though.

No - they would just retire the ships and drop certain markets. Airlines are doing the same thing right now as we speak.

My gut tells me all these market cancellations are a sign of retiring ships.

That's because they are ridculously overpriced and most Texans aren't gawdy and spend money like people in Florida and California. Ever check the current prices for a Disney vacation for a family? Even for one person to visit their themeparks, it is ridiculous the amount needed to stay only a few days.

We are new to cruising and I looked at Disney for our upcoming vacation. I then looked at Carnival and it was literally $6,000.00 cheaper. :eek: I can't imagine anything on Disney being worth $6,000.00 more.

No - they would just retire the ships and drop certain markets. Airlines are doing the same thing right now as we speak.

My gut tells me all these market cancellations are a sign of retiring ships.

so when competitors are ordering more ships carnival would retire some and decrease their fleet resulting in a loss of market share?

so when competitors are ordering more ships carnival would retire some and decrease their fleet resulting in a loss of market share?

Yeah I don't buy that AT ALL. There is no way in the world Carnival will be retiring ship(s) without adding new ones to the fleet. I think it is possible that one of the Fantasy class ships be retired (most likely the Fantasy since she is the oldest) by the time the 2016 new build is ready, but thats it.

More ships leaving the US for Australia or Asia is a whole diff. story, i thing THAT could happen. All the more reason that more ships will be necessary, certainly not less.

A friend just said tonight he'd heard Carnival is leaving Galveston as a port? I'm here for rumor control.... Any info? :cool:

Wishful thinking on the part of Carnival haters? I think they have their Magics mixed up since it is Disney pulling their Magic out of Galveston. Why would Carnival do that when they sail full every week?

Galveston is actually the closest port for people from the midwest and easier for people from AZ and CA to go on a W. Caribbean cruise than flying all the way to Florida. There is also a huge market within a days drive of Galveston. It makes no business sense. In the beginning it might have when they trucked everything over from Florida, but now that they have local suppliers they are able to keep costs down. We can all thank the ice cream truck that broke down on the way from Florida to Texas for them buying local.

Because their tickets and packages are designed for stays of 5 days or more.

Not to mention every ticket to a Florida theme park is ridiculously expensive for one day.

Many love those "old clunkers" they sail full every week.

We are new to cruising and I looked at Disney for our upcoming vacation. I then looked at Carnival and it was literally $6,000.00 cheaper. :eek: I can't imagine anything on Disney being worth $6,000.00 more.

No idea where you'd be staying and how long... that it would cost $7,000.

No idea where you'd be staying and how long... that it would cost $7,000.

We would be staying on a ship?? :confused: We're going on a 7 day Western Caribbean on CCL. A similar 7 day on the Disney Cruise Line was $6,000.00 more. There are 4 of us but it's still quite a jump IMO.

We would be staying on a ship?? :confused: We're going on a 7 day Western Caribbean on CCL. A similar 7 day on the Disney Cruise Line was $6,000.00 more. There are 4 of us but it's still quite a jump IMO.

Oh, I thought you meant the parks. :)

Yeah, that fare is ridiculous.

I had a fare once of $599 for a gty inside on Disney out of florida, but i booked as soon as the prices came out. Disney tends to only go up, so if you want a disney cruise book when fares are released.

I dont need a $6000 fancy balcony to enjoy a cruise, or maybe that was the price for 4 in a higher category cabin? There are better deals and often they do $99 kids prices.

CC is starting to be like rumor central. every day a new rumor someone heard from someone else, who heard it from a employee.

A friend just said tonight he'd heard Carnival is leaving Galveston as a port? I'm here for rumor control.... Any info? :cool:

considering that I think Galveston has the highest average price pp year round...nope, not a chance. Disney is pulling out of Galveston. Shame too...I wish more ships would cruise from Galveston...competition helps to keep prices down.

Archived