2014 - Prinsendam sails from IJmuiden instead of Amsterdam.

Ine

I just got an email that referred to IJmuiden as a maiden call for Holland America. Thanks to this thread I know better than to think this is a good thing.

I checked 2014 itineraries. In the past, could Prinsendam make it to or from Amsterdam and these ports after one sea day?

Bergen

Oslo

Aalborg, Denmark via Lim Fjord

Hamburg

Copenhagen

St. Malo

Lerwick

Edinburgh (Rosyth)

Stavenger

Vlissingen (Flushing), NL / Scheldt River (cruising)

In the past, could Prinsendam make it to these ports early the next day?

Hamburg

Kiel Canal daylight cruise

"Save" three hours of cruising, and "no need" to go through the locks would not be a selling point for me. I thought it was a lovely sail out of Amsterdam, and thoroughly enjoyed watching us go through the locks. I was looking forward to doing it again some day.

Since I usually do the HAL 1-night pre-cruise hotel, w/transfer, that aspect isn't a concern for me, but the loss of such scenic cruising is. :(

I'm with you Ruth.:(

Some of my most memorable sailaways have been from Amsterdam, people waving upon departure from one of the most artistically interesting ports I have had the pleasure of sailing from. The architecture in the port area is truly stunning.

I am sure this is a cost saving for the cruise lines, and will end up costing passengers more in transit costs. I would not see this port substitution as an enhancement what so ever other than it will no doubt be less expensive for the cruise line.

We talked with the Future Cruise Consultant on the Prinsendam about this as we were the last sail away from Amsterdam. She put all the right spin on it saying how it is actually closer via taxi than Amsterdam from the airport. I told her good luck with that sales strategy.

The conspiracy theorist would say this is a way for HAL to make more money by sailing a shorter distance, eliminating paying to go through the locks (not sure they have to pay i am guessing here) and forcing people to their over priced transfers.

The hotel manager said this is why they changed----money reasons.

We talked with the Future Cruise Consultant on the Prinsendam about this as we were the last sail away from Amsterdam. She put all the right spin on it saying how it is actually closer via taxi than Amsterdam from the airport. I told her good luck with that sales strategy.

IJmuiden will be about 3 hours less sailing each way and not going through the locks. From the airport it will be a a little farther away, but of course IJmuiden has far less to offer then Amsterdam. Not really a place interesting enough to spend the night before.

I think that we'll arrive in Amsterdam a few days early. it seems a pity to come all that way and then miss such a beautiful city! We'll go from the airport directly to a hotel in town and then, the day of embarkation, take the high speed ferry to Ijmuden.

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Ndtrc/Fast%20Flying%20Ferry At this point in time, I'm not sure if this ferry will get us to the port itself, but there's still time to figure that out. And the ferry sounds like fun, not as good as sailing directly from Amsterdam, but better than a bus from Schiphol (IMO)

It turns out that the Flying Ferry doesn't go all the way out to the cruise ship terminal; you still have to take a cab from where the ferry ends. And it was posted elsewhere that the ferry is so fast that the spray clouds the windows and you really can't see all that much as you zip along.

So much for trying to make lemonade out of this:mad:

It turns out that the Flying Ferry doesn't go all the way out to the cruise ship terminal; you still have to take a cab from where the ferry ends. And it was posted elsewhere that the ferry is so fast that the spray clouds the windows and you really can't see all that much as you zip along.

So much for trying to make lemonade out of this:mad:

Indeed you will need a cab to the cruise terminal, it is too far to walk from that dock to the terminal. But also talks are going on to stop this ferry. So check again before you want to use it.

Indeed you will need a cab to the cruise terminal, it is too far to walk from that dock to the terminal. But also talks are going on to stop this ferry. So check again before you want to use it.

Is that the Fast Flying Ferry service using the Russian hydrofoils, Ine?

2987291228_dac35b65a5_z.jpg?zz=1

Archived