Is Peggy's Cove worth the time and expense in late October weather?

We are on NCL Gem this October and a drive to Peggy's Cove is on our must list. Being from Canada, I don't know how would could not :)

We are hoping to rent a car and do the drive ourselves on our on time.

Is there a certain route that one would suggest or is there basically one way only? We want to head straight to the cove and cemetery and then into Halifax before heading for the ship when due.

I loved visiting Peggy's Cove when we were there last October. I liked the drive out and the surrounding area. We had a beautiful sunny day albeit very windy but it was great!

Halifax%20030-XL.jpg

Beautiful! I would take sunny and windy over hot and humid any day.

There is a shopping centre in Upper Tantallon where you turn onto the Peggy's Cove Road. It has the usual chain restaurants and similar. Other than that, the pickings are slim:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=restaurants&sll=44.680372,-63.888245&sspn=0.495064,1.352692&near=Peggys+Cove+Rd,+Upper+Tantallon,+NS&geocode=CZ7F0TTETZSwFV_HqQIdQCEx_CmX_MwURfFZSzEV3v7-Z-u9AA&hq=restaurants&t=m&z=13

Then there are a couple places right in Peggy's Cove. I have not eaten in either in many years: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g780595-Peggy_s_Cove_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html

There is a shopping centre in Upper Tantallon where you turn onto the Peggy's Cove Road. It has the usual chain restaurants and similar. Other than that, the pickings are slim:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=restaurants&sll=44.680372,-63.888245&sspn=0.495064,1.352692&near=Peggys+Cove+Rd,+Upper+Tantallon,+NS&geocode=CZ7F0TTETZSwFV_HqQIdQCEx_CmX_MwURfFZSzEV3v7-Z-u9AA&hq=restaurants&t=m&z=13

Then there are a couple places right in Peggy's Cove. I have not eaten in either in many years: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g780595-Peggy_s_Cove_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html

Thank you for the suggestions. Helps us plan our day!

we are west coast Canadians who finally got to the Maritimes this past June

driving 4500 kms just around 3 provinces!

Peggys Cove was well worth it to us, we like small venues and countryside scenery. The biggest shock we got was the population is only 38 (brochure says 35 but the 3 people that bought the B&B uppped it!

There is a very good restaurant right at the Lighthouse with lots of choice if you don't like seafood. Also a great ice-cream shop along the road up to the rocks

Be prepared for the cruise buses taking people out, it got busy for those hours but we stayed at B&B for 2nights and loved it.

DO NOT go out on rocks where although it looks innocent it is dangerous, follow the signs and obey them

The "circle" route that Maryann NS gave you is what we did and we thought it great, stopping off at the Memorial grave site for Swiss Air on route 333 and also the site at Peggys Cove that triangulates the crash site

Now I am sorry I dumped all my maps and papers and cannot give you exact places and routes but enjoy it all

We were at Peggy's Cove last week on the Carnival Glory. It was a foggy and rainy day. It is a neat spot to go to. There are also some little shops in the fishing village. They also have a restaurant there.

I would do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Peggy's Cove tour early in the morning, and ended with the hop on hop off in the afternoon. Best excursion that I ever had. Went in October and the pictures came out great. I like the roaring waves that were crashing on the rocks where the lighthouse was.

I enjoyed the town of Halifax and there was a lot to take in. Do yourself a favor and make a day of it!

Here is a link to a few of the pics I took.

http://www.jimmyfunguy9.com/Site/Photo_Album_2.html

Knowing if Peggy's Cove is worth the trip all depends on what you like to see. If you enjoy seeing scenery that is unique and spectacular, then definitely.

The many pictures you will see do not do it justice. If you're lucky you'll be there on a day with rough water... much more spectacular.

I used to live in Halifax and still visit Peggy's Cove each time I go home. Is it cold? It can be given it's on the Atlantic ocean and usually windy. Is it far, no, not if you enjoy the scenery on the drive.

If you are more in to shopping and man made attractions, maybe it's not for you however.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement regarding rough water.

Was there in mid October 2005. It was a rainy day with rough seas. I have the most spectacular photos! Go for it!

If you do not go to Peggy's cove, you will always wonder what if??

It is a beautiful location, more commercial that it used to be, but still one of the most wonderfull locations - just after you leave the parking lot that

is in a little more protected area, you feel the wind, and even in a crowd, you can feel alone - if it is really windy - you cannot hear each other talk.

The restaraunt people have refered to, had wonderful homemade pie, and many choices of fresh cooked food (not a Mcdonald in sight!) And, while you wait for your food to cook, or after your meal, go upstairs and look out at the view!

Do not bother to go to the Eastern Passage fishing village - it is a mock fishing village set up as a a tourist trap - we ordered scallops and got Highliner frozen ones that we could have cooked at home - expensive and not good - ver disssappointing.

The pier in Halifax has been restored as a people place, and there is often something going on. There is a small tug boat from childrens books that you can see, and if timed right, they have trips in the harbour. And if you walk up or take the taxi, you can go to Cidatell hill - a fortress overlooking the bay - better to taxi up and walk down to the waterfront if you are not up to long walks up steep inclines.

many shops/restraunts etc along the way!

If you do not go to Peggy's cove, you will always wonder what if??

!

Funny you should say this..! That is what happened to us...we did not go last time..:o (and felt bad we didn't)..so for our October cruise..it is the one excursion we have planned...:)

We did our first New England/Canadian cruise 4 yrs ago on the Maasdam. I loved Peggy's Cove. Its the natural beauty w/white lighthouse sitting on the rocks. Waves crashing over the rocks...gorgeous setting. Old fishing boats line the coves. Far more attractive than the lighthouse sitting on the sand on Aruba. We skipped P's Cove last year & toured the maritime museum near the port. The Titanic cemetery tour was cancelled probably due to lack of interest. But, as someone else said, there is quite a bit of Titanic things in the maritime museum.

Peggy's Cove is the most photographed spot in Canada for a reason! We have been twice now-we just returned in July having taken the rest of the family-the boys (29 & 28) and mother-in-law were all in awe with it. If you have never seen it-it is very much worth the trip! We ended up there the first time as a fluke-it kept coming up on excursions so my wife booked it thinking I would like a quaint little fishing village-it is so much more that that-but you have to see it to feel it!

Are there private tours or drivers available for hire in Halifax? We would like to hire a driver to give us a private tour. If so, any recommendations, where would we find them and what is the cost. I already have one booked for St John's.

I never realized how difficult if was for my dad (84 yrs old) to hear (has limited hearing even with hearing aides) on a huge bus with all the back ground noise (other people talking) until we did a private tour in Bermuda. He loved it since he was able to hear the driver! So for now on when ever possible I would like to book a private tour, the few extra dollars is so worth it for him to be able to hear the driver and not just look out the window.

Hi Starfish-

yes-you can google private tours in Halifax and find plenty. We did one with Blue Diamond Tours - just went to Peg's Cove and back-the young adults were not interested in the history side, and the mother-in-law was not interested in a lengthy tour-she has difficulty with hearing-we placed her in the front seat so she could hear well-it worked out fine for her and us. Blue Diamond will custom your tour-you can pick where and what to do and they will charge you accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

Peggy's Cove is a tourist destination. If you are renting a car, may I suggest driving via the highway to Lunenburg in the morning....easy drive. It is a very charming town and area, picturesque & historic...take your time to enjoy it fully. Return along the coastal route (great views and scenery) -- plan going to Peggy's Cove later in the day....a quick stop is all that you need at Peggy's Cove....lots of the usual tourist stuff. Weather is unpredictable. Last year in mid October it was mild and glorious.

Peggy's Cove is a tourist destination. If you are renting a car, may I suggest driving via the highway to Lunenburg in the morning....easy drive. It is a very charming town and area, picturesque & historic...take your time to enjoy it fully. Return along the coastal route (great views and scenery) -- plan going to Peggy's Cove later in the day....a quick stop is all that you need at Peggy's Cove....lots of the usual tourist stuff. Weather is unpredictable. Last year in mid October it was mild and glorious.

This may be exactly what we do. We have a car rental and I was thinking it may be better to go against the flow.

Archived