Physician On Ship & Health Insurance

My good friend has had Diabetes for 8 months. We had always planned on taking our families together on a cruise. His Diabetes is treated with medications, but occasionally he has had to go into the Emergency Room for treatment when it is out of control (in fact, I took him myself some months ago).

Is there generally a doctor on board on the major cruise lines? Also, if he required inpatient treatment at a hospital at one of the ports of call, is there some international health insurance that can be purchased domestically here in the U.S.?

You should contact your cruise line's special needs department as each line has different levels of on board care.

Your friend should have his doctor fill out a special needs form and fax it before he boards if he has been unstable at all. Some may say it's a bit over the top but better safe than sorry.

As far as insurance goes, he should purchase travel insurance that covers his pre existing condition. Otherwise, should he need medical attention, it might not be covered.

There will be one or more doctors on the ship. They will have regular hours and are available for emergencies. When the ship is in port, passengers can be transferred to hospitals ashore.

Some health insurance policies include coverage outside the US, but many do not. Travel insurance will generally cover the expenses out of the US.

A cruise ship that comes to U.S. ports cannot sail without a doctor aboard. (I suppose that applies just about worldwide?)

Most mass market cruise ships have at least two doctors...... one for guests and one for crew though, of course, as needed, they treat whoever requires care.

Ship's doctors do not accept insurance.

You have to pay and then put in a claim with your insurer. Be certain to get

appropriate code information /bill from ship's infirmary should you require care and plan

to submit the bill to your insurer. That applies to both your usual medical as well as any travel medical coverage you may have.

Is there generally a doctor on board on the major cruise lines? Also, if he required inpatient treatment at a hospital at one of the ports of call, is there some international health insurance that can be purchased domestically here in the U.S.?

Travel insurance (which most policies include some form of medical insurance) is all on a reimbursement basis only. In other words, you pay the bill in cash or credit card, then file for reimbursement with your insurance provider.

However, educate yourself regarding travel insurance/medical coverages and KNOW what IS covered and what IS NOT.

His Diabetes is treated with medications, but occasionally he has had to go into the Emergency Room for treatment when it is out of control (in fact, I took him myself some months ago).

I am a diabetic myself so I feel somewhat qualified to say that your friend's diabetes is not under control enough to warrant a cruise vacation, in my opinion. Trips to the ER are not that uncommon when first diagnosed (my Dad went once, but I have not had to go) but if it is still happening, I would seriously be reconsidering this trip.

Best to you all.

I am a diabetic myself so I feel somewhat qualified to say that your friend's diabetes is not under control enough to warrant a cruise vacation, in my opinion. Trips to the ER are not that uncommon when first diagnosed (my Dad went once, but I have not had to go) but if it is still happening, I would seriously be reconsidering this trip.

Best to you all.

I would agree. I've been diabetic for a few years now and fortunately, I've never had to go to the ER due to my diabetes. Between Metformin and two different insulins I'm able to keep things pretty well under control.

Each ship has a doctor and a few nurses.

Since diabetes is already a pre existing condition most third party insurance policies must be purchased within two to three weeks of making a deposit for the cruise although there is at least one out there that can be purchased at a later date.

Keith

Your friend should reconsider taking a cruise until his diabetes is under control. Hopefully his doctor has been checking up on him and possibly changing his medications until they find the right one for him.

I know a lot of diabetics that cruise -- but they have their condition under control. They exercise, they watch what they eat, etc.

A side note................ The maitre'd on Carnival's Fantasy had a heart attack on board. The ship then went to the closest port, Port Canaveral. When he was examined, the Dr. told him if it weren't for the care he got when he had the heart attack on the Fantasy, he would be in a wheel chair or pine box! We met him when he was about to go for his 3 month check up. He was still the Maitre'd on the Fantasy then. (But almost afraid to go home-to Orlando. He hadn't told his wife he had the heart attack. He was sure she wouldn't let him come back to any ship!) He is still a maitre'd!

My good friend has had Diabetes for 8 months. We had always planned on taking our families together on a cruise. His Diabetes is treated with medications, but occasionally he has had to go into the Emergency Room for treatment when it is out of control (in fact, I took him myself some months ago).

Since the Diabetes constitutes a pre-existing condition Travel Insurance would have to be purchased generally within 10-14 days from the booking date in order for pre-existing conditions can be waved. There are a few policies that pre-existing condition waiver time is slightly longer.

The following are good websites in which you can compare policies, coverage and cost .

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

Last year while on a land vacation in Rome my husband who is diabetic had seizure during the night. Probably from taking to much insulin. We were taken to the hospital by ambulance and treated and released a few hours later. They wanted to keep him to do additional testing but we were leaving in the morning to go to Florence and we declined. When we returned home a week later and our doctor repeated the test the Rome doctor was right on and my husband had a abnormal EEG. Long story short we were never charged for any of the treatment done at the Rome hospital. They took his passport number but never asked for cash or credit card. We are on Medicare and have a supplement that pays out of the country plus our travel insurance but were never asked. They treated him very well but it sure was a lot different then our hospitals here in the USA. No comparison.

Archived