Royal Caribbean Visa Credit Card - Cashing in Reward Points

Here's a question I've been pondering lately, now that we are getting close to the majic 125,000 points. Can you book a cruise on-board, getting the on-board credit, then transfer the booking to the RCI free cruise redemption center? I might just have to drop a line to a friend of ours who's a Loyalty Ambassador to get his answer.

Are we Out There YET?

I dit not know that you can request multiple coupons and use them on the same cruise. By the time I have to pay for my next cruise, Freedom sep 17,2006, I will have more than 50,000 points. I'm planning to use them for the $500 off discount on the price of the cabin. So, you guys are telling me that if I have 60,000 ,I can request 2 of the $50 for in-board credit??? That's new for me !!!!Last time I had 25,000 points and I only requested $150 off the price of the cabin. But, anyways, the points keep accumulating for my next cruise,,,,,They are good for 5 years, not?

Has someone heard about this??? Bank of America is buying MBNA. Do you think that we will have any changes on our RCCL reward points?:cool:

I was wondering about the same thing! I hope they don't change their programs....although I read that Bank of America was retaining the MBNA head as their new head of Card Services, or something like that, so I'm hopeful things won't change.

I just read Bank of America/MBNA info today, also. We have 75,000 points for a free cruise and don't want to lose them! From reading previous posts maybe we would have gotten a better deal cashing them in for onboard credits. :rolleyes:

I had 15000 points to redeem, and I did not specify 3 $50 vouchers, so I got one voucher that did not have the shipboard credit option. I called C&A prior to sending it in and all I had to do was write in on the back that I wanted shipboard credit for $150. I also noted the reps name I spoke to and kept copies. No problems.

I got my certificates yesterday - that was real quick - 1 week. The RCI rep I spoke with yesterday is going to have Gary call me on Tuesday - he thought they would credit us back more $ since our cruise fare was under the $1500 - we'll see what happens.

Here's my nickel's worth. I've been in banking for 25 years, and my guess is that if there are changes to the Royal Points program, it will not be the result of the buyout of MBNA card services by Bank of America. MBNA simply issues the affinity card and facilitates the points measurement process. That will likely contine because the process is already in place and will not create an additional cost to operate. Make no mistake, Royal Caribbean is the "hub" in the wheel here, and has the ability to "pull the plug" or modify the program. Simply said, "follow the money". This is not a criticism of RCCL, but simply a "bottom line" business decision on their part. Makes shareholders happy.

When points are "cashed in", the cost directly affects Royal Caribbean's bottom line, not the bottom line for MBNA. You can be certain that RCCL is monitoring the points program on a regular basis. When the "value" of RCCL points becomes too costly for the organization, you can count on changes, and you'll find that more points will translate into less value. My heart goes out to the nearly 6,000 associates of MBNA that are slated to lose their jobs as the result of this merger. Again, "follow the money" because you'll find that it usually answers all the questions.

Here's my nickel's worth. I've been in banking for 25 years, and my guess is that if there are changes to the Royal Points program, it will not be the result of the buyout of MBNA card services by Bank of America. MBNA simply issues the affinity card and facilitates the points measurement process. That will likely contine because the process is already in place and will not create an additional cost to operate. Make no mistake, Royal Caribbean is the "hub" in the wheel here, and has the ability to "pull the plug" or modify the program. Simply said, "follow the money". This is not a criticism of RCCL, but simply a "bottom line" business decision on their part. Makes shareholders happy.

When points are "cashed in", the cost directly affects Royal Caribbean's bottom line, not the bottom line for MBNA. You can be certain that RCCL is monitoring the points program on a regular basis. When the "value" of RCCL points becomes too costly for the organization, you can count on changes, and you'll find that more points will translate into less value. My heart goes out to the nearly 6,000 associates of MBNA that are slated to lose their jobs as the result of this merger. Again, "follow the money" because you'll find that it usually answers all the questions.

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think Royal Caribbean puts out a dime to have their name on MBNA's card. Mbna pays the rewards money, not RCCL and why would it affect their bottom line. It's MBNA's incentive, not Royal Caribbean's.

• 2 weeks later...
I've received 2 statements and still haven't received my 2500 bonus points

I missed out on my bonus because I didn't charge anything within the first 60 days the card was active. MBNA wouldn't budge even though I was only a few days late. I do know that it takes at least 2 months to get the points after your first charge provided you charged within the first 2 months. Call and see.

• 4 weeks later...

Celebrity Worldpoints & RCCL Platinum Plus, two different company promos, two different offerings, one cannot be used for the other, so if you cruise both like me, you need 2 cards. Right now "X" card is put away & RCCL card is being used. DH wants the 2 polo shirts with baseball hat promo for 5000 sooner than $50 onboard credit since the polos cost more than that on the ship & it is sent to the home mmonths before the cruise. So next month I will call MBNA for this promo for him.

I have no gotten my welcome package from MBNA tho I've had the cards a week, and I noticed on my Celebrity Worldpoints Visa that if I use it to rent a car, and am in a ccident, VISA pays everything. But I am not seeing it via the web site for RCCL Platinum Plus Visa.

The funny thing is that I also have the Celebrity Visa by MBNA and their redemption process is online... You'd think they would use the same process!