Bringing alcohol onboard

salsalady

:( I notice on Krazy Kruisers Alcohol list the 7 bottle Navigator and Admirals wine package are not listed. Did they do away with them? We always go through a few of them on every cruise at a sweet price getting 50% off as 4 star Mariners. I hope this was just an oversight.

:( I notice on Krazy Kruisers Alcohol list the 7 bottle Navigator and Admirals wine package are not listed. Did they do away with them? We always go through a few of them on every cruise at a sweet price getting 50% off as 4 star Mariners. I hope this was just an oversight.

They are still there - KK's listing is for the individual wine bottles.

the Admiral and Navigator packs are available.:D The Admiral & Navigator packs are on the HAL website so easy to find - the individual bottles offered in the MDR are not - so KK's listing is a huge help.

Edited by kazu

WE have just booked Westerdam and want to know if we are able to bring spirits (bottle of gin) onboard when we embark in Fort Lauderdale. I know you can bring wine on but cant find any threads about spirits....

Karen

SALSALADY, PLEASE REPORT TO THE NAUGHTY ROOM IMMEDIATELY!!!:eek:

That is all.:D

SALSALADY, PLEASE REPORT TO THE NAUGHTY ROOM IMMEDIATELY!!!:eek:

That is all.:D

Ha ha....there is mention of the naughty room when boarding Celebrity ships out of Southampton UK.....we will stick to wine then...:rolleyes:;)

I've already looked at the website to check that I can pre order my favourite tipple, Bombay Sapphire, just need to sort out the tonic waters...:D

Karen

Edited by salsalady

Re beer; three years ago ,on the Maasdam you could get Stella. Eighteen months ago on the Ryndam there was Boddingtons and Newcastle brown in the "Mix" area, so maybe you just have to ask if you want something other than the list.:D

• 11 months later...
So you can carry on as much wine as you want, not just one per person?:confused:

And you can also carry on wine from ports to your room? Any amount?

Thank You

You get one bottle of wine (750 ml) per adult as an allowance. After that, you pay $18 per bottle corkage.

Edited by POA1

Ship Services for UK Passengers -

hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com, or you can speak to the call center in Southampton on 0843 374 2300. They are open from Monday to Friday between 0900 and 1800, and on Saturday from 0900 to 1700.

I emailed to ask about having a bottle of Jack Daniels for our stateroom, got a reply advising me to order it in the indulgences section, they missed the point, its not listed there. I may have to ring.

We used to take boxed wine in our checked baggage. Has anyone done this since the rules changed in Jan? We might still take the chance. What's the worst that can happen!:D

Your luggage gets mushed and the box breaks, thus damaging someone else's luggage. Obviously yours as well, but if you are selfish enough to smuggle it on, IMHO you deserve that. The innocent party/parties however do not and now have damaged clothes for their journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used to take boxed wine in our checked baggage. Has anyone done this since the rules changed in Jan? We might still take the chance. What's the worst that can happen!:D

Your luggage gets mushed and the box breaks, thus damaging someone else's luggage. Obviously yours as well, but if you are selfish enough to smuggle it on, IMHO you deserve that. The innocent party/parties however do not and now have damaged clothes for their journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

runnergirl71 -- I agree with you. The porters just throw the luggage into the bins to go onto the ship. They don't care if anything gets crushed in those suitcases.

I would be furious if our luggage arrived and red stuff seeped unto them and ruined our clothes.

So you can carry on as much wine as you want, not just one per person?:confused:

And you can also carry on wine from ports to your room? Any amount?

Thank You

HAL's allows each person over the age of 21 to bring on one 750 ml bottle of wine. If you bring on more, there will be an $18 per bottle charge for corkage. And the bottle must be in your carry-on.

Even bottles that you buy in the various ports are subject to the $18 corkage fee.

On our March/April cruise, there was a table set up right behind the security area and they were taking the names and cabin numbers of people who had extra bottles. The extra bottles had a sticker placed on them indicating that the corkage fee was paid.

We just completed a cruise and our friends luggage was confiscated along with a number of other peoples luggage because they had a bottle of wine in their suitcases, they had to physically open them and show security it was wine since a bottle of wine is allowed, if it would have been any liquor, it would have been held until the end of the cruise, so yes they X-ray all luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]HAL's allows each person over the age of 21 to bring on one 750 ml bottle of wine. If you bring on more, there will be an $18 per bottle charge for corkage. And the bottle must be in your carry-on. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Even bottles that you buy in the various ports are subject to the $18 corkage fee.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]On our March/April cruise, there was a table set up right behind the security area and they were taking the names and cabin numbers of people who had extra bottles. The extra bottles had a sticker placed on them indicating that the corkage fee was paid.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

So does that mean you MAY also bring I bottle of wine to your cabin from ports without the fee? We are doing an extended cruise 45 days, only one cruise, not segmented.
Thank you for your responses.

[quote name='Ocean Dancer']So does that mean you MAY also bring I bottle of wine to your cabin from ports without the fee? We are doing an extended cruise 45 days, only one cruise, not segmented.
Thank you for your responses.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]No - Reread the above posts.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Ocean Dancer']So does that mean you MAY also bring I bottle of wine to your cabin from ports without the fee? We are doing an extended cruise 45 days, only one cruise, not segmented.
Thank you for your responses.[/QUOTE]
No. Only the embarkation port. If you are in port and buy wine to take home, the ship will store it for you at no charge. If you intend to consume the wine on the ship, you pay corkage.

[quote name='planobob']From Holland Ameica's website:...Guests can bring as much wine and/or champagne as they choose on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue they will be asked to return it to their stateroom...[/QUOTE]

Hi Bob,

Can I ask you to please indicate where on the HAL website you found the above statement. I have been unsuccessful in locating it.

I drink only rarely but if I understand the HAL policy correctly, this statement appears to be rather misleading. To me, it seems to say that wine brought on board for consumption in passengers’ cabins may not be charged the $18.00 corkage fee. I believe this is incorrect.

According to the HAL website, <<Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.>>

Am I misreading something here?

Scott & Karen

[quote name='CaveDiving']Hi Bob,

Can I ask you to please indicate where on the HAL website you found the above statement. I have been unsuccessful in locating it.

I drink only rarely but if I understand the HAL policy correctly, this statement appears to be rather misleading. To me, it seems to say that wine brought on board for consumption in passengers’ cabins may not be charged the $18.00 corkage fee. I believe this is incorrect.

According to the HAL website, <<Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.>>

Am I misreading something here?

Scott & Karen[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"] [B]Beware Everyone.. The rules have changed since this thread was first started over a year ago[/B]!

This is what happens when someone revives a year old or more thread & the policy has changed.. The earlier posts are often misleading to new posters..

IMO these threads should be closed when policy changes, however the hosts can't police all threads.. It's important that new cruisers read the HAL WEB site for the new rules!![/SIZE] Edited by serendipity1499

[quote name='Surreyman']We brought a bottle of spirits on board from Florence and no one said a word.[/quote]We've brought on Tequila in Mexico, Rum in the Caribbean, and Limoncello in Sorrento, and didn't have any of it taken. We bought it to bring home, and were prepared to have them take and hold it - but sometimes you get lucky.

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE="3"]... It's important that new cruisers read the HAL WEB site for the new rules!![/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]And that posters read the date on a thread before posting. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='catl331']We've brought on Tequila in Mexico, Rum in the Caribbean, and Limoncello in Sorrento, and didn't have any of it taken. We bought it to bring home, and were prepared to have them take and hold it - but sometimes you get lucky.[/QUOTE]

We seldom have had HAL confiscate and hold the rum we've bought in the Caribbean - even tho that would be OK. It seems that the liquor that ends up being taken is that which the passengers are carrying in the duty free bags from the duty free shops. Talk about obvious!