Venice -Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries Tour

Beth84

Has anyone done this this tour? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also, is this something I should book in advance or can I just wait until I get there? Thanks!

We did this two years ago and loved it. They take you into areas that are not normally accessed. It was the highlight of our visit to Venice last time. You do need to book it ahead of time. Enjoy.

We did this a few years ago and it was the highlight of our Venice trip. You skip the line for the Doge's Palace and meet at the tour window. Then you get a guided tour of places not open to the public, and you can see the jails where famous prisoners were held. You also get to peek out the window leading to the Bridge of Sighs (I'm probably describing this incorrectly). Anyway, it was really interesting.

After the tour, you can go back into Doge's palace and tour it on your own. You should book this ahead of time. I went during low season (Nov) and there were no more tours available at the check in window.

We were on the Secret Itineraries tour at the end of June in 2012. It was fascinating! However, because the secret spots are under the roof of the Doge's Palace, it was extremely hot! No A/C of course, but there were fans, water coolers and seats available sporadically.

I was quite impressed with an elderly woman who was in our group. She made it through the tour without a complaint despite the conditions which included many stairs.

Read The Unholy Book of Mischief for a glimpse into the period of the Doges!

We did this a few years ago and it was the highlight of our Venice trip. You skip the line for the Doge's Palace and meet at the tour window. Then you get a guided tour of places not open to the public, and you can see the jails where famous prisoners were held. You also get to peek out the window leading to the Bridge of Sighs (I'm probably describing this incorrectly). Anyway, it was really interesting.

After the tour, you can go back into Doge's palace and tour it on your own. You should book this ahead of time. I went during low season (Nov) and there were no more tours available at the check in window.

Thanks for the info.

Linda

I'm going to give an alternate opinion. We did it several years ago when we had three days to spend in Venice. I was sad that we committed to the tour; all I wanted to do was be outside enjoying glorious Venice, and instead I was trapped in attics and jail cells! We were so anxious to get outside that we missed all the really great parts of the palace. It was mildly interesting but on balance I wish had done the actual palace instead of the Secret Itinerary.

I did it and loved it. My husband and daughter did their own thing in the square. I booked it online in advance (super easy). The guide did tell us that in the heat of summer they have to skip certain parts because the heat is overwhelming.

I did the tour 2 years ago. Everybody says they love it but I didn't care for it. I felt more like I was a prisoner for 2 hours. You go into back rooms but the grandness of Doges Palace has more to do with the amazing large rooms and paintings that anyone can access as well as the amazing statuary in the courtyard. I did lots of research on Venice before I went so perhaps that was part of why I was bored but I much more enjoyed walking around on my own for 1.5 hours after that tour than the tour itself.

I did the tour 2 years ago. Everybody says they love it but I didn't care for it. I felt more like I was a prisoner for 2 hours. You go into back rooms but the grandness of Doges Palace has more to do with the amazing large rooms and paintings that anyone can access as well as the amazing statuary in the courtyard. I did lots of research on Venice before I went so perhaps that was part of why I was bored but I much more enjoyed walking around on my own for 1.5 hours after that tour than the tour itself.

Exactly. Except we even missed the grand rooms! :o

Perhaps some of them are in this, which I made from an hour at the Doge's Palace

All the best to all who go there, whether you do the Secret Itineraries or the regular tour, I thought it was amazing.

Thanks for sharing. Was this on the secret tour???

Thanks for sharing. Was this on the secret tour???

Hi Alex

No, that is very much the regular, common or garden job. I just walked up at 2.30 in July and paid my €16. I was tight for time (aren't we all ?) and didn't do the SI tour. In the morning I'd been into St Mark's Basilica

If I had my time again I would have gone 'upstairs' here (€5 I think).

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We did the Secret Itinerary tour two years ago on an overnight cruise stop and just loved it. Enjoyed all the history behind it and the lectures on Cassanova. Yes it was hot and cramped (we went in early May). Looking back I do feel a little guilty about not getting outside more. I even missed out on a gondola ride because we were pressed for time.

But I would not have skipped it and I will be going back to Venice next year and I WILL RIDE IN A GONDOLA this time. Will probably not go back to the palace only because there are so many other things to see/do. This time we will be there for disembark/embark on a B2B and will return at the end of the cruise and spend a night.

We also booked on line for the Secret Itineraries tour. Got to the Dodge's Palace about an hour early. you can tour main rooms then go to the meeting area to pick up the Secret Itineraries tour. The guide was great. It was very interesting.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Alex

No, that is very much the regular, common or garden job. I just walked up at 2.30 in July and paid my €16. I was tight for time (aren't we all ?) and didn't do the SI tour. In the morning I'd been into St Mark's Basilica

If I had my time again I would have gone 'upstairs' here (€5 I think).

Thanks for that. Looking forward to it more and more now.

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

We will be in Venice this Oct on an overnight stop on Serenade. On the Viator website it looks like the meeting time for the tour is 0845. On an overnight stop can we leave the ship at any time.?

We are on the same cruise as you. I think you can leave at 7am. Try this site as it says 9.55 is the first time. This isn't an agency, its the Venice Museum site.

http://www.venice-museum.com/

We are on the same cruise as you. I think you can leave at 7am. Try this site as it says 9.55 is the first time. This isn't an agency, its the Venice Museum site.

http://www.venice-museum.com/

Thanks for the link, Alex. Do you (or anyone else) know the difference between this secret itineraries tour and the one offered thru Viator, other than price. It seems that with Viator you can go over the Bridge of Sighs into the new prison and that is not mentioned in the Venice Museums tour.

Thanks for the link, Alex. Do you (or anyone else) know the difference between this secret itineraries tour and the one offered thru Viator, other than price. It seems that with Viator you can go over the Bridge of Sighs into the new prison and that is not mentioned in the Venice Museums tour.

Just had a look at the Viator site. They start at the Paglio Bridge and it looks like they have shortened the tour to keep the price competitive. They are an agency and are there to make money. The Op booked through

http://www.vivaticket.it/index.php?nvpg[evento]&id_evento=1056612

which offers the same tour starting at 9.55 and the Op went to the cells.

We are going to book the 9.55 tour and go with that one. Buy in advance and you skip the lines anyway. I was hoping we would have some reviews to compare, but not a lot this year.

Edited by bigeck