Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

4 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm currently on the Norwegian Escape and can say that my experience is the polar opposite.  Fellow passengers have been so engaging right from the time I boarded and this group of solo cruisers has been amazing!  NCL just does it right for solos, but the fellow passengers that aren't solo have played a small part as well.

NCL really does have the reputation of a party boat.

1 hour ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

With NCL's free at sea with most people having the open bar it has gone a little bit they way, however nothing as much as Carnival.

I've cruised twice with NCL now, once on the Bliss, once on the Dawn. Both were an absolute pleasure thanks to the crew, and super friendly and engaging fellow passengers. I haven't seen any problems with drunk passengers, my guess is because people aren't trying to hit the drink limit like on Carnival and RCL, because there isn't one on NCL. + both cruises were a week or much longer so you'd have to pace yourself if you want to make it to the end of the journey, unlike the 2-5 night party cruises.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HenkNetherlands said:

I've cruised twice with NCL now, once on the Bliss, once on the Dawn. Both were an absolute pleasure thanks to the crew, and super friendly and engaging fellow passengers. I haven't seen any problems with drunk passengers, my guess is because people aren't trying to hit the drink limit like on Carnival and RCL, because there isn't one on NCL. + both cruises were a week or much longer so you'd have to pace yourself if you want to make it to the end of the journey, unlike the 2-5 night party cruises.

I've had the same experience HenkNetherlands. Of all of the cruises I've taken, the 3 on NCL have been my favourite. I haven't seen any out of control drunken behaviour. I love the vibe on those ships. Lots of energy and good fun.

7 hours ago, HenkNetherlands said:

I've cruised on RCL at least 20 times now, so I get all the free drinks I need.   I have looked at NCL many times when I get the email about "5 free at Sea" deal, but every time once I start booking and select the 5 free, the price jumps astronomically, making it far too expensive imo.

• Like 1

I'm going to take the 33-day cruise to Iceland and Norway on Princess next month. This will be my first vacation in seven years. I must admit that I am not naturally inclined to take a cruise, because so many of them (especially of the Miami-to-the-Bahamas-and-back variety) seem to cater either to children or to adults whose main interests are eating, drinking, gambling, and shopping (all in copious amounts). Princess is said to cultivate a more mature, more sophisticated atmosphere, which I certainly hope to find on this particular cruise.

Despite the cost, I splashed out on a room with a balcony so that I could withdraw from company and spend time by myself in reasonable comfort whenever I wished. After so many years without a vacation, I need a chance just to rest. Most of the first ten days of this cruise will be spent at sea, and although many people would find that unappealing, I expect that it will help me to recover from exhaustion.

Reading many of the comments in this section, I have been surprised by the number of people who refuse to dine alone. I have requested a table to myself for the first few evenings. Only the lack of information about activities (any shows or other events that might be of interest) leaves me hesitant to reserve dining for subsequent evenings. It seems that the schedule of activities will not be available beforehand, so I may not make more reservations yet.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, shorne said:

I'm going to take the 33-day cruise to Iceland and Norway on Princess next month. This will be my first vacation in seven years. I must admit that I am not naturally inclined to take a cruise, because so many of them (especially of the Miami-to-the-Bahamas-and-back variety) seem to cater either to children or to adults whose main interests are eating, drinking, gambling, and shopping (all in copious amounts). Princess is said to cultivate a more mature, more sophisticated atmosphere, which I certainly hope to find on this particular cruise.

Despite the cost, I splashed out on a room with a balcony so that I could withdraw from company and spend time by myself in reasonable comfort whenever I wished. After so many years without a vacation, I need a chance just to rest. Most of the first ten days of this cruise will be spent at sea, and although many people would find that unappealing, I expect that it will help me to recover from exhaustion.

Reading many of the comments in this section, I have been surprised by the number of people who refuse to dine alone. I have requested a table to myself for the first few evenings. Only the lack of information about activities (any shows or other events that might be of interest) leaves me hesitant to reserve dining for subsequent evenings. It seems that the schedule of activities will not be available beforehand, so I may not make more reservations yet.

I'm booked on to the Norway and Iceland 14 day cruise as a solo traveller also. It will be my first cruise ever and similar to you I am not here for the parties. I am looking forward to some R and R and the port excursions. I am a little anxious that I will stick out like a sore thumb going around on my own. I wouldn't mind meeting up with other solo travellers just to have a little support network when needed but I am happy to be in my own company.

Did you join any other forums or see any info/tips for solo princess cruisers?

There is a general roll call for the trip on Facebook but I haven't seen anyone post about solo travellers and I don't want to post about it, for fear people will think I want to chair a solo traveller social club of sorts!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PW_NICD8819 said:

I'm booked on to the Norway and Iceland 14 day cruise as a solo traveller also. It will be my first cruise ever and similar to you I am not here for the parties. I am looking forward to some R and R and the port excursions. I am a little anxious that I will stick out like a sore thumb going around on my own. I wouldn't mind meeting up with other solo travellers just to have a little support network when needed but I am happy to be in my own company.

There is a general roll call for the trip on Facebook but I haven't seen anyone post about solo travellers and I don't want to post about it, for fear people will think I want to chair a solo traveller social club of sorts!

I haven't seen anything else for solo travellers on this cruise. Are you on one segment only? Mine lasts for 33 days, from late May to late June.

Others have said that a gathering of solo travellers, often unprepossessing and poorly attended, is held at the start of the cruise. I expect to attend that, at least for a few minutes, so you shall probably find me there.

I'm joining only a few excursions—most of them organised independently, not through the ship. The rest of the time I intend to go around on my own; that doesn't bother me, but many people do indeed feel anxious about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shorne said:

I haven't seen anything else for solo travellers on this cruise. Are you on one segment only? Mine lasts for 33 days, from late May to late June.

Others have said that a gathering of solo travellers, often unprepossessing and poorly attended, is held at the start of the cruise. I expect to attend that, at least for a few minutes, so you shall probably find me there.

I'm joining only a few excursions—most of them organised independently, not through the ship. The rest of the time I intend to go around on my own; that doesn't bother me, but many people do indeed feel anxious about it.

I am going on 13th May from Southampton so maybe not the same cruise but I am relieved to hear that I am not alone in wanting to be alone! I might scope out that group, treat it like a blind date, arrive early, observe from a distance and then decide. 

I haven't booked any of the ship excursions, just a few privately operated tours but mostly looking forward to wandering around on foot/bike as much as possible.

1 minute ago, PW_NICD8819 said:

I am going on 13th May from Southampton so maybe not the same cruise but I am relieved to hear that I am not alone in wanting to be alone! I might scope out that group, treat it like a blind date, arrive early, observe from a distance and then decide. 

I haven't booked any of the ship excursions, just a few privately operated tours but mostly looking forward to wandering around on foot/bike as much as possible.

Sorry, not the same cruise: mine leaves on 26 May.

I contentedly go around on my own without caring a continental about other people's disapproval. Are you concerned about attracting unfavourable attention on land? I don't think that there's much risk of that, as long as you exercise the usual precautions.

I'm concerned much more about an unwelcoming atmosphere on the ship itself, and unfortunately have already seen signs of that. But, like you, I don't need the company of anyone else.

• Like 2

Just now, shorne said:

Sorry, not the same cruise: mine leaves on 26 May.

I contentedly go around on my own without caring a continental about other people's disapproval. Are you concerned about attracting unfavourable attention on land? I don't think that there's much risk of that, as long as you exercise the usual precautions.

I'm concerned much more about an unwelcoming atmosphere on the ship itself, and unfortunately have already seen signs of that. But, like you, I don't need the company of anyone else.

It's definitely the atmosphere on ship that I am a little apprehensive about. I am happy to dine and enjoy a drink alone but I am worried that others may be pushy and try to join me or include me in their activities, with the best intentions. I'm easily drained by social occasions and a whole evening of chit chat is my idea of hell. I will have to brush up on my German and pretend I don't speak much English.

I don't expect any issues on land - the tours I booked are part of groups and I won't be exploring too far off the beaten track. Norway and Iceland look amazing. I will be taking the RIG to see the church in Skjolden and then have a bike booked for the rest of the day. I plan on doing Loen ski lift in Olden and the tram/trolley tour in Alesund. I don't have anything planned in Iceland yet, but I don't want to plan away all my time, I want to be sure I have time to take it all in.

• Like 1

Interesting perspective. Rather than feigning ignorance of English (was machen Sie denn, wenn man mit Ihnen Deutsch sprechen kann?), you might just candidly say that you are too deep in thought or too distracted for a conversation at the moment. It isn't easy: people don't believe it, especially if they themselves never have a thought of any consequence. Perhaps «Not right now, thank you» or «Maybe later» would be easier.

I too am drained by social occasions. I do best with just one or two people with whom there is a real affinity. And even that often has to be done in small doses.

My biggest concern on the social front is not how to drive others off but how to avoid or endure people with whom I am incompatible. Already it is evident that this cruise will include a number of vulgarians and downright mean-spirited people. That's disappointing but not surprising in the least.

12 minutes ago, shorne said:

Interesting perspective. Rather than feigning ignorance of English (was machen Sie denn, wenn man mit Ihnen Deutsch sprechen kann?), you might just candidly say that you are too deep in thought or too distracted for a conversation at the moment. It isn't easy: people don't believe it, especially if they themselves never have a thought of any consequence. Perhaps «Not right now, thank you» or «Maybe later» would be easier.

I too am drained by social occasions. I do best with just one or two people with whom there is a real affinity. And even that often has to be done in small doses.

My biggest concern on the social front is not how to drive others off but how to avoid or endure people with whom I am incompatible. Already it is evident that this cruise will include a number of vulgarians and downright mean-spirited people. That's disappointing but not surprising in the least.

If they speak German then Ich bin krank und ich muss gehen. Joking aside given its in Europe I think your suggested approach would be more appropriate. 

I was hoping that with Princess not being a big party boat packed with amusements, fellow passengers would be more mature and reserved. Stalking the Facebook group I note a few people who are very vocal.  But I  expect that my preference for early mornings and not late nights will mean my dining schedule will be different to those more socially inclined. 

It's interesting the point you make  about the type of passengers that will be on board. I naively thought when booking that the destination, smaller ship and price point would deter those kinds of passengers. 

• Like 1

I too had naïvely thought that those factors would favour a more mature and sophisticated clientele, but these days it seems that there is no venue that trashy people will not overrun and destroy. Years ago I stopped attending live operas here in North Uhmerica because almost invariably they are ruined by trashy people who talk throughout or otherwise disrupt them. Fortunately, the audiences in Eastern Europe, South America, and many other places are much more respectful of art and of other people.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:38 AM, shorne said:

You sound like me

11 hours ago, PW_NICD8819 said:

Is there going to be a meet and greet?

10 hours ago, PW_NICD8819 said:

It's definitely the atmosphere on ship that I am a little apprehensive about. I am happy to dine and enjoy a drink alone but I am worried that others may be pushy and try to join me or include me in their activities, with the best intentions. I'm easily drained by social occasions and a whole evening of chit chat is my idea of hell. I will have to brush up on my German and pretend I don't speak much English.

I don't expect any issues on land - the tours I booked are part of groups and I won't be exploring too far off the beaten track. Norway and Iceland look amazing. I will be taking the RIG to see the church in Skjolden and then have a bike booked for the rest of the day. I plan on doing Loen ski lift in Olden and the tram/trolley tour in Alesund. I don't have anything planned in Iceland yet, but I don't want to plan away all my time, I want to be sure I have time to take it all in.

Sounds great

On 4/1/2023 at 9:34 PM, PW_NICD8819 said:

Why not just take a book to dinner or a journal. Enjoy your drink and or meal and read/draw/write and if others try and bother you, just motion to what you’re doing and continue on. My daughter does this and has no issues. People get the hint and move on.

On 4/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, IamAlyce said:

Why not just take a book to dinner or a journal. Enjoy your drink and or meal and read/draw/write and if others try and bother you, just motion to what you’re doing and continue on. My daughter does this and has no issues. People get the hint and move on.

Although it would be rude to take reading material to the table when others were present (small exception for the newspaper at breakfast), it is perfectly polite to read a book while eating by oneself at a restaurant or similar venue.

A smile and «Perhaps another time» should suffice to decline a well-meant invitation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shorne said:

Although it would be rude to take reading material to the table when others were present (small exception for the newspaper at breakfast), it is perfectly polite to read a book while eating by oneself at a restaurant or similar venue.

A smile and «Perhaps another time» should suffice to decline a well-meant invitation.

Yes, it would be rude if you are sitting with others to bring a book to read at the table. I was suggesting this if you are sitting alone as a way to enjoy your meal/drink, etc and not be bothered. I feel it is okay to be reading or writing, etc. while sitting alone and have seen many others doing this. As this is the OP’s cruise, they should be able to enjoy it how they want, and not have to worry about how others perceive them.

elaine