Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Navigator of the Seas Cabo and Ensenada, March 22-27, 2023!  Interior Virtual Balcony.  Looking forward to re-visiting the Riviera Hotel in Ensenada for another original margarita (plus it's just so pretty!), and whale watching or snorkeling in Cabo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Navigator of the Seas Cabo and Ensenada, March 22-27, 2023!  Interior Virtual Balcony.  Looking forward to re-visiting the Riviera Hotel in Ensenada for another original margarita (plus it's just so pretty!), and whale watching or snorkeling in Cabo.

Margaritas followed by whale watching, sounds awesome ^_^ . Have fun!

• Like 1

For years I’ve heard retirees say that for those who don’t worry about using up vacation days, cruises are the best way to cross the Atlantic. In May I will find out for myself on my first retirement trip, taking MSC Divina from Miami to Genoa on May 15-June 3! I will attend a Road Scholar trip in Italy, then go back to tradition and fly home on a cheap airline ticket! 🙂

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

For years I’ve heard retirees say that for those who don’t worry about using up vacation days, cruises are the best way to cross the Atlantic. In May I will find out for myself on my first retirement trip, taking MSC Divina from Miami to Genoa on May 15-June 3! I will attend a Road Scholar trip in Italy, then go back to tradition and fly home on a cheap airline ticket! 🙂

A cheap airline ticket…..do they still exist?

9 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

A cheap airline ticket…..do they still exist?

I... uh... worked for an Airline (I won't say which one, but I live in Atlanta. I "retired" from them 12 years ago.) But... I still have benefits.

I... don't worry about air fare. At worst I get a massive discount.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 12:31 AM, RedgeToo said:

Royal Caribbean have hosted meet ups (at least in the UK), although the last one I went on the host showed up very late and left as soon as he realised he wasn't needed.

MSC don't do anything afaik.

P&O group solo cabins together and have an early morning (!) meet up in the nearby bar

Princess seem to have an unhosted meet up

The most fun I had with solo meet ups was on Allure of the Seas out of Southampton

I have read quite a few of your posts, and you seem quite well traveled. I’m not sure if I’ve seen you comment on Holland America Cruises and whether you like them or not. I’m doing a B2B on the Nieuw Amsterdam on 2/5 & 2/12. I am a widow and I have done approximately.6 solo trips (and while my late husband was alive, we did approximately 10 together ). 

While I enjoyed traveling with my late husband, I have found a certain almost undefinable, sense of freedom and leisure traveling solo. No matter how many cruises I’ve been on, I have such a child like attitude about them. From the moment I plan a cruise, even though it might be one year away, I drag out my suitcase, and start filling it!  I am like a child going to Disneyland the first time and the 30th!!  

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Xwordgal said:

I have read quite a few of your posts, and you seem quite well traveled. I’m not sure if I’ve seen you comment on Holland America Cruises and whether you like them or not. I’m doing a B2B on the Nieuw Amsterdam on 2/5 & 2/12. I am a widow and I have done approximately.6 solo trips (and while my late husband was alive, we did approximately 10 together ). 

While I enjoyed traveling with my late husband, I have found a certain almost undefinable, sense of freedom and leisure traveling solo. No matter how many cruises I’ve been on, I have such a child like attitude about them. From the moment I plan a cruise, even though it might be one year away, I drag out my suitcase, and start filling it!  I am like a child going to Disneyland the first time and the 30th!!  

My last cruise was March last year, my next will be October of this year and since the end of last summer I've been doing endless research on the ports and having it in the back of my mind with any shopping I'm doing.  My amazon save for later list gets longer week by week.. 

15 hours ago, Xwordgal said:

That's very kind of you to say.

I've cruised for over 30 years, but never with HAL. I must try them sometime, but not this year, I already have my March, October, and Christmas cruises booked.

I'm the same. Whenever I book a cruise, I have to start planning the trip to the airport, hotel, parking, where I'll go ashore... you get the picture.

Everything goes into a spreadsheet showing where I'm flying from and to, where I'm staying, which ports and on what dates, and, of course, the cost. It's all colour coded too! 🤣🤣🤣

Planning is part of the pleasure :)

• Like 1

Sooo, I'm booked as a solo in the Haven on the 11/5/23 Escape to Bermuda. I moved my booking from the 11/10/23 sailing because I learned that the World Rugby Classic will be held from 11/4 - 11/11. Fingers crossed that there are games on 11/7. I've never been to a rugby game before, so this will be a two for me. 1st time in Haven and 1st time seeing rugby!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:07 AM, RevZacc said:

My very first cruise was solo (Inside cabin ~ Disney Wonder-2005)  My second was with my 2nd {now ex-} wife (balcony ~ Disney Magic).  My 3rd cruise will be solo on the NCL Spirit to Alaska in May 2023.  Wondering how many cruises I can fit in over the next 5-10 years as I enjoy my retirement.

Hi RevZacc,

Your previous cruising, sound's quite similar to mine.  Previously cruised with my now ex husband and I will be doing my first solo cruise this coming May 2023, cruising Alaska on Majestic Princess. I don't believe that the Princess line organises anything for solo cruises.  However I plan to keep myself busy with tours when in Port and have organised my dinner seatings to be seated with other groups. 

Alaska looks and sounds amazing and I'm pretty excited!  It will be my first time traveling to the United States and Vancouver.  Best wishes for your up coming cruise to Alaska and other future sailings through your retirement 🙂 

Edited by sunsetjewel63
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 2:57 AM, travelingman said:

Has anyone done a solo on Hutrigruten to Galapagos?  I have booked their 1/18/23 cruise on the Santa Cruz II.

Stan

Sound's like an amazing trip travelinman.  I've not cruised to Galapagos, however I've been on the Hutrigruten line.  Cruised up the coast of Norway and loved it.  From what I experienced (not sure if it applies to all of their ships).  I received a more intimate, personal experience.  They had quite a lot of discussion based events on the local area and I was able to get off at every port that they stopped at if I wished, even if it was for a 20 minute stop through the middle of the night. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sunsetjewel63 said:

I don't believe that the Princess line organises anything for solo cruises. 

I did my first Princess cruise last September in the Med.

There was an unhosted solo meet-up every evening which was advertised in the daily planner. Ages varied from 22 to 70, and numbers from 6 to 12

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

Was there a significant price advantage? I’ve never sought out those rooms, but have read unsupported claims they aren’t that large a savings.

You have to make sure you check both types of rooms.  I have found on some cruises the solo cabin is more than paying the single supplement on a regular cabin.

Sometimes this is true. And it is often so on Caribbean cruises where there are frequently more bargains, especially if you travel outside of “traditional” vacation periods. In my case the solo supplement would have made a regular oceanview room cost $400 more.