Atlanta/Miami: Driving.Lodging

DaiLina

Hi everyone,

We'll be driving from Atlanta to Miami for our upcoming cruise this year. We're not looking forward to the long drive... It's been suggested by a few people to drive halfway there, get a hotel room for the night and start off fresh the next day for the remainder of the way.

We like this idea and wanted to know from those who have driven this route before and split up the drive:

1. What city was your halfway point?

2. What hotel/lodging did you stay at?

3. Any other tips/experiences to add?

Thanks in advance!

Haven't done it, but since you have to use the Florida Turnpike for this drive (well you don't, but it's much quicker), it lessens your options. Would guess either Gainesville or Orlando would be your stopoff. Probably something on 192 in the Kissimmee area, you don't have alot of places you can get off. Or maybe in the Universal area because that's where the Turnpike and I-4 meet. But I'm guessing since that's close to a park, it'll be more expensive.

We drive from Atl as well and we drive down the day before the whole way and just get there .. We are always afraid something will happen and we won't make the ship. That way we get a good night sleep and we are already in Miami !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are driving down to Ft Lauderdale in Feb for our cruise. We live in the Macon area and driving down I75 to Ft Myers spending the night there and then the morning of the cruise drive across alligator alley to FT Lauderdale. It is about a two hour drive across. You could probably figure another hour going to Miami. We have done this before and it works out well for us.

Based on google maps and that you would be driving down the day before your cruise, I would stop off just south/just past Orlando. You would have most of the drive done, and you wouldn't pay for a pricey Orlando hotel. I just drove from NJ to FL like I do every year, and for the first time we split it up into two 8 hour drives, rather than about 11 and 5 (approx). Try to go as far as possible, and keep it around 8-9 hours (driving, not total) max for the one day. In 11 hours, we must have stopped every 2 hours at least, and with 8 hours, we made it with 2 stops including lunch. We like to sit down at a Cracker Barrel usually to eat rather than bringing food and eating in the car or getting fast food. Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Based on google maps and that you would be driving down the day before your cruise, I would stop off just south/just past Orlando. You would have most of the drive done, and you wouldn't pay for a pricey Orlando hotel. I just drove from NJ to FL like I do every year, and for the first time we split it up into two 8 hour drives, rather than about 11 and 5 (approx). Try to go as far as possible, and keep it around 8-9 hours (driving, not total) max for the one day. In 11 hours, we must have stopped every 2 hours at least, and with 8 hours, we made it with 2 stops including lunch. We like to sit down at a Cracker Barrel usually to eat rather than bringing food and eating in the car or getting fast food. Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The problem with the Turnpike is that once you get past 192, you're committed to going to Fort Pierce. So you pay for an outer Orlando area hotel or you drive another hour + to Fort Pierce. I could see the argument people are using to take I-75, even though it doesn't make alot of sense to me, just because of the increased options along the way.

We drive from Atl as well and we drive down the day before the whole way and just get there .. We are always afraid something will happen and we won't make the ship. That way we get a good night sleep and we are already in Miami !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this poster I rather drive straight through and know I am in the area the night before. instead of maybe breaking down the day of ther cruise and still being 300 miles away:eek:

We are driving to Ft Lauderdale in November and will driving all the way, spend the night, so we will be ready to hop on the ship the next morning.

We live about 30 miles east of Atlanta.............

Stop in Orlando.

Unless it's a holiday, the sheer number of hotels leads to a lot of competition so there are hotels in all price ranges.

Once you get outside of Orlando/Kissimmee-St.Cloud going south, there's basically nothing until you hit Ft Pierce.

If it was me, I'd exit where the Turnpike meets I-4 and stay at one of the Hotels near Universal Studios near the intersection of Kirkman and Vineland Roads. The hotels in that area are in good conditon generally (as opposed to those by 192 in Kissimmee which are hit and miss) and there is a wide variety of dining options within walking distance. It's a busy area for traffic on the streets, but you are so close to the turnpike you should have no problem getting back on quickly the next morning & Turnpike traffic is not generally a problem in rush hour the next morning.

Stop in Orlando.

Unless it's a holiday, the sheer number of hotels leads to a lot of competition so there are hotels in all price ranges.

Once you get outside of Orlando/Kissimmee-St.Cloud going south, there's basically nothing until you hit Ft Pierce.

If it was me, I'd exit where the Turnpike meets I-4 and stay at one of the Hotels near Universal Studios near the intersection of Kirkman and Vineland Roads. The hotels in that area are in good conditon generally (as opposed to those by 192 in Kissimmee which are hit and miss) and there is a wide variety of dining options within walking distance. It's a busy area for traffic on the streets, but you are so close to the turnpike you should have no problem getting back on quickly the next morning & Turnpike traffic is not generally a problem in rush hour the next morning.

The drive is so ugh.

Why not drive to Orlando and make it part of the vaycay?

I agree not to drive past Orlando because once you get on the turnpike the hotels are very blah. You can find a hotel in or around Orlando in any price range.

Also, almost every restaurant known to man has an outpost in Orlando so if there is something you've been wanting try, now is a good time.

Good luck!

We live in Chattanooga and have done this drive several times. We go down 75 and take turnpike and stop in Stuart for the night and then following morning get on 95 and go south to either FFL or go on to MIA easy off at either port. We stay at Holiday Inn Express because it is close to 95 easy to get on in morning.

Don't go I75 all the way.

Take 75 to I10,

to I295 south to I95.

You'll save the $15 toll on the turnpike.

Its 42 extra miles than I75 to the Fl. turnpike.

Plus if you drive 10 hours You'll be in palm Beach county. Plenty of hotels.

I do this route about 6 times a year.

Wow, thanks everyone SO much for ALL the suggestions and responses!! These are all great ideas, and definitely things we hadn't already thought about. We'll definitely be taking all this into consideration :-) Thanks again! :-)

Looks like the consensus is driving to Orlando... and/or getting there at least the night before.

Just talked to DH and he said that's what we'll do, either head out the day before or early the day of and get a hotel in Orlando so we'll only be 2 or so hours away from port.

Thanks again everyone :-)

Looks like the consensus is driving to Orlando... and/or getting there at least the night before.

Just talked to DH and he said that's what we'll do, either head out the day before or early the day of and get a hotel in Orlando so we'll only be 2 or so hours away from port.

Thanks again everyone :-)

Orlando is about 3.5-4 hrs from Port Miami.

If you decide to stop north of Orlando, historic St. Augustine is a charming little town to spend a few hours.

I live approx. 45 minutes north of Atl and have done the trip both ways...straight drive , and stopping.... if you decide to stop , use P-Line or another bidding site to get a great rate on a last minute Orlando hotel, most people don't think of doing this for a hotel on a road trip also we like to use Restaurnt dot com to find a discounted meal as well.

Drove from KY recently.

Used the Turnpike going down.

Used 95 coming back and crossed over at Jacksonville to pick up 75.

There are lots of options down along the 95 corridor. Somewhere between Port Canaveral and south of there would be ideal.

Since you drove both the Turnpike and I-95......can you tell me which you prefer?

We live in Atlanta and have done this drive several times now. Personally I would recommend stopping north of Orlando in Ocala (we generally take 1-75 to the turnpike since its faster). We have found that the hotels there tend to be cheaper. There are also plenty of restaurants and everything is right off the highway which makes things easy. As others have said though once you get past Orlando there really isn't anything until you get down to Ft. Pierce.

If you are going to take the turnpike I would also recommend getting a sunpass mini. It will save you 10% on your tolls and makes it so you don't have to stop at each booth along the way.

I used to live in the Atlanta area before I moved to the Melbourne area and have driven ATL to MLB mucho times. Usually took about 7 hours to Melbourne whether you came down I-75 to the turnpike to Orlando and then the Beachline (528) and join I-95 or 75 to 10, 295 around Jax and then join 95. Only about 20 miles difference and no difference in driving time and no tolls! We are very proud of our toll roads, please support them when you can;)! I don't think I would go down to Ft. Meyers and then back across the state unless you had a reason to go there... seems a lot longer. If you decide on I-95, I would get off it either in Ft. Pierce or Jupiter and take the turnpike on in the FLL-MIA area. Depending on the day you are traveling 95 can be on the congested side starting in West Palm Beach

Not withstanding the plug for/against the toll roads, I think what I would do is drive 75/ turnpike and spend the night somewhere around Ft. Pierce/Jupiter area. That would not make a real long day and a very easy drive to the port.

We live in Atlanta and have done this drive several times now. Personally I would recommend stopping north of Orlando in Ocala (we generally take 1-75 to the turnpike since its faster). We have found that the hotels there tend to be cheaper. There are also plenty of restaurants and everything is right off the highway which makes things easy. As others have said though once you get past Orlando there really isn't anything until you get down to Ft. Pierce.

If you are going to take the turnpike I would also recommend getting a sunpass mini. It will save you 10% on your tolls and makes it so you don't have to stop at each booth along the way.

Thanks! and we'll look into that sunpass mini!

I used to live in the Atlanta area before I moved to the Melbourne area and have driven ATL to MLB mucho times. Usually took about 7 hours to Melbourne whether you came down I-75 to the turnpike to Orlando and then the Beachline (528) and join I-95 or 75 to 10, 295 around Jax and then join 95. Only about 20 miles difference and no difference in driving time and no tolls! We are very proud of our toll roads, please support them when you can;)! I don't think I would go down to Ft. Meyers and then back across the state unless you had a reason to go there... seems a lot longer. If you decide on I-95, I would get off it either in Ft. Pierce or Jupiter and take the turnpike on in the FLL-MIA area. Depending on the day you are traveling 95 can be on the congested side starting in West Palm Beach

Not withstanding the plug for/against the toll roads, I think what I would do is drive 75/ turnpike and spend the night somewhere around Ft. Pierce/Jupiter area. That would not make a real long day and a very easy drive to the port.

"That would not make a real long day and a very easy drive to the port." -- Yes, that would be ideal. We'll definitely add this to our list of options/scenarios, thanks!

Archived