Dawn - docking disagreement with Mom

gail-s

Okay, my mother insists that the Dawn always docks to the port side when in Bermuda because the last 4 times she's been there on it that's how they've docked. I tried to explain to her that it was just a fluke and they could dock either way. She's not buying it. SO, when you've been on the Dawn in Bermuda, which side of the boat was facing the Dock Yard? I'm interested to see what people say. Thanks!

They have to change sides to the pier from time to time. It is required for the crew lifeboat drills so they can be tested on both sides of the Dawn. Last time in Bermuda on the Dawn we docked both ways as they turned around midday the second day. They real answer to the debate you never know.

Thanks for confirming what I told her. She was trying to tell me to book a room on the Port side so that we were facing the Dock Yard. I was thinking of booking the Starboard side so that we can sit on our balcony sailing out of Boston and point out all the places we know to DD (we're from the South Shore). Or, if I did go with Port, we could sit on our balcony sailing into Boston and do the same thing. Decisions, decisions...I need to hurry up and book the darn trip. :D

Thanks for confirming what I told her. She was trying to tell me to book a room on the Port side so that we were facing the Dock Yard. I was thinking of booking the Starboard side so that we can sit on our balcony sailing out of Boston and point out all the places we know to DD (we're from the South Shore). Or, if I did go with Port, we could sit on our balcony sailing into Boston and do the same thing. Decisions, decisions...I need to hurry up and book the darn trip. :D

Since if you go with port you can still, on way home, show your DD the sights, I'd say book port and make Mom happy.

I'd say book port and make Mom happy.

The funny thing is, she hasn't even agreed to go on the trip yet! We're trying to convince them to do it again. After all, they've only done it 5 times, they really should do it 6.

I haven't sailed into Boston but if it's anything like into NYC, you better plan to be up before dawn if you want to point things out on the way back in. I have only been awake once to be able to enjoy the views sailing up the Hudson out of 15 cruises. Granted you can set your alarm to wake up early but I enjoy my sleep too much.

Okay, my mother insists that the Dawn always docks to the port side when in Bermuda because the last 4 times she's been there on it that's how they've docked. I tried to explain to her that it was just a fluke and they could dock either way. She's not buying it. SO, when you've been on the Dawn in Bermuda, which side of the boat was facing the Dock Yard? I'm interested to see what people say. Thanks!

Starboard on 2 cruises.

When I booked my cruise, I specifically asked the Norwegian rep this question. She told me that it can be either way. I've been looking at the Bermuda port webcam the past couple of weeks when the Dawn is there. Last week, it was starboard, this week it's port...I'm sure it's all just lovely regardless!

It changes (and not just on the Dawn) because all lifeboats have to be checked periodically. When the port side lifeboats have to be dropped into the water, the ship has to dock on the starboard side. If starboard side lifeboats have to be checked, it docks on the port side. There also may be other maintenance issues that will affect how the ships dock.

Archived