Oceania 2015 World Cruise

Andy

Well, we did it. Pulled the trigger on the entire cruise. It's the only way we're getting to Australia, NZ and Asia, because I don't want to fly that far. I'd rather spend 180 days and cruise the whole way :D.

So pleased for you and Betsy. I have never met you, but really enjoy your posts. I know you will have a fantastic time and will increase your fellow passengers enjoyment by being on the cruise with them.

Is this cruise really waitlisted in all categories already? I'm flabbergasted. Regent never sold out the entire ship for their shorter WC's. If so, I wonder how many people booking will become no-shows at some point.

Organizing all those private tours to keep the excursion budget down is going to be a real task for lots of folks. Spreadsheets will be required!

Seems to be a lot of availability online this morning.

Seems to be a lot of availability online this morning.

That's because folks had to put down MONEY!!!

Deposits are substantial.

Many of the bookings were HOLDS with no payment

It is a big commitment of time and money and it is not surprising that once folks got over the initial excitement, some would rethink it.

Separates the men from the boys as they say.

Oceania has time to fill the ship or they will fill the segments.

They probably make more money selling the segments anyway. None of the perks apply and the whole is cheaper than the sum of its parts.

Win win for Oceania.

Oh how I would love to do this (was drooling looking over all those ports!!!) I work remotely 90% of the time, but have found that those pesky timezone changes can be a real bear when our "standard" is EST (see me in Hawaii trying to make a 8am conference call at 3am HAST a few years ago).

I can picture the exchange with my boss now:

ME: Hey, I'm going to be taking a vacation starting Jan 9...

BOSS: Great! - where are you going?

ME: Slides itinerary across the desk (all 4 pages) :)

<uncomfortable pause while he peruses>

BOSS: Ummmm

ME: Well, I will have unlimited internet and can skype call so I'll just be "remote" for a few months.

BOSS: No.

ME: :(

Oh well, only 30 or so years before I retire....

Edited by corpkid

From the time of booking, deposits were required within 7 days. The deposit was 20% so that starts at $16,000 for a couple in the cheapest cabin. Once paid, the cancellation is $250 each admin fee.

Those that got their name on a cabin the first day had to pay the deposit 2 days ago. Some people that were originally waitlisted have now got a cabin.

Edited by Waynetor

Ah, I see, many of the categories are now bookable--hadn't thought about that 7 day window to put down the (substantial) deposits. It's an awfully long cruise. I know it's really round-the-world and everything, but still--half a year? I just can't get my head around it. I used to fantasize about the Regent WC's which were around 120 days.

I wonder what the penalties are for cancellation.

My longest cruise so far is 14 days, so I'm a baby--I'd like to try about 35 days someday!

Ah, I see, many of the categories are now bookable--hadn't thought about that 7 day window to put down the (substantial) deposits. It's an awfully long cruise. I know it's really round-the-world and everything, but still--half a year? I just can't get my head around it. I used to fantasize about the Regent WC's which were around 120 days.

I wonder what the penalties are for cancellation.

My longest cruise so far is 14 days, so I'm a baby--I'd like to try about 35 days someday!

I could never do 180.

I just did 21 days and I will do 30 when Capetown to Singapore 2015 opens up. Three weeks to a month away from home is my personal MAX. I love my dogs too much to stay away longer.

If the World Cruise hasn't sold as many cabins as was first thought, I wonder if they will open up any segments. We would prefer to do the Capetown to Singapore segment in Feb/March which they will be doing on the World Cruise rather than at Christmas time which I think the Nautica will be offering, seeing that it arrives into Capetown on the 22nd December. It is a big ask to be away from your family at that time of the year.

Jennie

If the World Cruise hasn't sold as many cabins as was first thought, I wonder if they will open up any segments. We would prefer to do the Capetown to Singapore segment in Feb/March which they will be doing on the World Cruise rather than at Christmas time which I think the Nautica will be offering, seeing that it arrives into Capetown on the 22nd December. It is a big ask to be away from your family at that time of the year.

Jennie

Jennie

Nautica will be in Capetown NOVEMBER 22 - not December

December schedules are not out yet

This itinerary is normally done in January and that is what I am hoping for.

My preference would be NOT to cruise with all the world cruisers who will have already bonded. I would only consider the segment if the Nautica dates were not in 2015. Also, FDR said 2015 -- so it wouldn't be a December sailing.

I just checked itineraries -- in 2013 Nautica sails to Capetown twice -- on 11/22 and 12/8 (arriving in January 2014) - If the 2014 - 2015 schedule mirrors that, our cruise would follow the Dec 8 sailing and be in January 2015.

Edited by pacheco18

A lot of people cruise during the holidays because they don't have many family members (or don't want to be responsible for taking care of the festivities).

Others cruise with their families and no one has to clean up the dirty dishes.

Oceania announced that segments will not be available until 30 days after the opening of the world cruise. This avoids trying to keep 1 room available for the entire WC for those who want it.

I believe the segments go on sale when all the rest of the itineraries go on sale in September -- more than 30 days.

Jennie

Nautica will be in Capetown NOVEMBER 22 - not December

December schedules are not out yet

This itinerary is normally done in January and that is what I am hoping for.

My preference would be NOT to cruise with all the world cruisers who will have already bonded. I would only consider the segment if the Nautica dates were not in 2015. Also, FDR said 2015 -- so it wouldn't be a December sailing.

I just checked itineraries -- in 2013 Nautica sails to Capetown twice -- on 11/22 and 12/8 (arriving in January 2014) - If the 2014 - 2015 schedule mirrors that, our cruise would follow the Dec 8 sailing and be in January 2015.

Laraine,

I too have just looked up Oceania's schedules for Nautica and she leaves Dubai on the 22nd November, 2014 and arrives into Capetown 30 days later which makes it around 21-22nd December, 2014. http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/asia/nau141122/default.aspx

That makes it a Christmas and New Year sailing from Capetown going into January, 2015 which I presume is when it will do that particular itinerary.

Jennie

Laraine,

I too have just looked up Oceania's schedules for Nautica and she leaves Dubai on the 22nd November, 2014 and arrives into Capetown 30 days later which makes it around 21-22nd December, 2014. http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/asia/nau141122/default.aspx

That makes it a Christmas and New Year sailing from Capetown going into January, 2015 which I presume is when it will do that particular itinerary.

Jennie

Yuck - that could be -- I do not want to sail in 2014 if I don't have to and I would prefer not to be on a segment of the World Cruise. Guess we will have to wait and see. Also possible that there will be another cruise in between and the Nautica cruise will be late January or February. We will find out soon enough.

I am going to see what my amazing TA can find out.

Yuck - that could be -- I do not want to sail in 2014 if I don't have to and I would prefer not to be on a segment of the World Cruise. Guess we will have to wait and see. Also possible that there will be another cruise in between and the Nautica cruise will be late January or February. We will find out soon enough.

I am going to see what my amazing TA can find out.

Laraine,

It would be wonderful if it were in late January or February. That would be the ideal time.

Jennie

A lot of people cruise during the holidays because they don't have many family members (or don't want to be responsible for taking care of the festivities).

Others cruise with their families and no one has to clean up the dirty dishes.

Yes that may be so for those who have cash to burn, but we certainly wouldn't be flying our family out to Capetown, paying for them on a 35 day Oceania cruise on Nautica and then flying them home from Singapore. It would certainly drain our Bank!!

Also, I have a very elderly mother who is 97.5 years and I wouldn't want to be away from her over the Christmas period.

Jennie

Laraine..who are you doing Egypt with Nile Cruise on in 2014? We did that Nov 2012 and absolutely LOVED it. Sherry

We had a great private guide in Luxor in May (who is now my email buddy -- keeping me up to date on events there) and he will be our private guide for the first 8 days. We are going to be based in Cairo (at the fabulous Marriott) and do some day trips from there. Then we booked a trip to Abu Simbel and a cruise through one of the top Egypt tour companies on our ship of choice and arranged for the same guide to be our private guide from Aswan to Luxor. The last few days we will spend in Sharm at the Four Seasons, relaxing. We are so looking forward to the trip. We loved Egypt.

My husband and I have reserved a cabin for this cruise and he is going to the travel agent's office tomorrow to pay our deposit.

Will post in the roll call thread as well, as we look forward to "meeting" others who will be on this cruise before the big day.