Embarkation when your ship doesn't leave til the next day...

CTKath

Ok how does this work? We are spending 2 nights in Stockholm before boarding the Marina on August 24th. The ship does not leave port until the next day. What time do we have to go through embarkation on the Saturday? We will be doing some sightseeing and don't plan to board until later in the afternoon. Is that ok?

Thanks in advance. :D

I believe that embarking anytime on the first day is OK, though I wouldn't try it at 10PM :D

Enjoy your day tour in whatever city and board the ship in the afternoon when the crowds are gone. ;)

as we are leaving from Venice next June, and I may not get there until evening. I hope someone here has had experience with this situation.

According to my TA, there is no rush to board since the ship is in port. Which cruise are you on? We're on June 11 from Venice-Rome. Someone has begun a roll call already.

Susan

Ok how does this work? We are spending 2 nights in Stockholm before boarding the Marina on August 24th. The ship does not leave port until the next day. What time do we have to go through embarkation on the Saturday? We will be doing some sightseeing and don't plan to board until later in the afternoon. Is that ok?

When the ship overnights in the Embarkation Port, there are usually a number of Passengers who will opt to skip the first day entirely, and only arrive on the Sailing Day itself, so if you are planning on getting to the ship at ANY POINT on DAY one, then you won't be the last one on.

I believe that the official rules state that you must be on the ship (i.e. checked in) at least one hour before the ship sails but if you cut it that close you will aso run the risk of missing the Muster Drill, and having to "take a make up" after departure.

In March we boarded Nautica at Tianjin (Beijing), having obtained prior permission from Oceania through our travel agent to board around midnight.

We had a driver for the trip to the port and dropped our daughter at the airport on the way. However our information was incorrect and/or the location of the ship was changed so we had a 2.5 hour tour of the port of Tianjin!!!! It is one of the largest in the world and goes on forever. Apparently there were others with similar problems, but they did the tour in the daylight. It was quite the adventure.

At one point I was checking our documents as I thought I must have mistaken the day, and perhaps even missed the ship. A sinking feeling, I can assure you.

I can also tell you that the people at the ports have no idea re the name of the cruise line, but when I finally mentioned the name of the ship, they were able to tell us exactly where the ship was berthed.

When we finally arrived at 2:30 am they warmly welcomed us onboard and noted that they had expected us a bit earlier! Our luggage was brought up to our room almost immediately and we were asleep before our heads hit the pillows.

So yes, you can board at anytime, but it might be easier to do earlier than 2:30 am, especially in a foreign country where you do not speak the language. ;-)

Mo

Not only OK, but boarding later in the afternoon means that you will not encounter any lines while boarding. In the old days before being able to book the specialty restaurants online, I felt some need to board before the "good times" were gone, but now no worries, so I prefer to spend the afternoon enjoying my port of embarkation. I will have plenty of time to explore the ship.

I have not done the roll call as I have been dealing with some other stuff. We are also on the next one, Rome to Rome. We are looking forward to meeting you. I will go on Roll Call soon. Just picking up some details on a tour we want and some flight problems.

We always spend some days in the city of embarkation before sailaway so I have no personal experience of the lines at that time!:D

Oh, we had been in China for a week. Baby girl who works in DRC wanted every last second of mommy time she could get, hence the late arrival at the ship. Next time she meets up with us, she definitely gets a little less time, and we get a little less stress. ;-)

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh, we had been in China for a week. Baby girl who works in DRC wanted every last second of mommy time she could get, hence the late arrival at the ship. Next time she meets up with us, she definitely gets a little less time, and we get a little less stress. ;-)

Mo

My baby girl lives 15 minutes from me right now (enjoying it while we can!), so our "late" arrivals have been around 4 PM. We never encounter any lines then because it seems people really want to get onboard, get lunch before the Terrace Cafe closes at 4 PM, and unpack before the drill.

Archived