Silver Shadow Fails Sanitation Inspection After Caught Hiding Filthy Conditions from

mikedoes

It is not the poor CDC score that bothers me (and a lot of others, I think) the most. it is the calculated attempt at an ill-conceived and probably illegal cover-up of unsafe and totally indefensible practices that is appalling. Couple that with a weak-as-water initial corporate response and you have the making of a snowballing mess the likes of which someone in authority should have seen barreling down the hill at breakneck speed. Stand up, tell the truth, discharge everyone who had anything to do with any facet of this fiasco, and start trying to win back the confidence that has been eroded up until this point.

There are certainly other choices in the luxury cruise market that have to be ready with open arms to welcome disillusioned Silversea passengers. Continue to dance around the subjject and more and more of those SS passengers will look elsewhere. I know we will.

ps for you over the other side .... we have a baby boy 3rd in line ....:)

YES!! Congrats to the UK and the other Commonwealth nations with this birth announcement. Making big, BIG news here. Great TV event!! On both sides of the Atlantic.

Now we await the big news on the name. And to see pictures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio]

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 113,105 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

vijayailing - So if the F&B manager and chef are scapegoats, who then should be held accountable?

IMO, it depends upon whether they were making decisions on their own or if their instructions were from higher up. There has to be someone or a group of people that allowed the situation to get where it was when the inspection was done. Again, just my opinion. If the person(s) are no longer working for SS, I would feel more comfortable going forward.

Knee jerk reactions of cancelling cruises is not an option to me. To be glib about it, now would be the best time to sail on the Shadow. it will sparkle. The safest time to be on an airplane is shortly after something awful happens. I am still shocked by the whole thing but will await a response from SS and see what they do about replacing management ASAP.

What you call "knee jerk reactions" are a very effective way for passengers and prospective passengers to get management's attention.

This failed CDC report ought to be in the Silversea blog, just for consistency, because they include high scores they received there.

April 5, 2013 they blogged that "Silver Spirit Earns Perfect Score".

Can we believe the Silver Spirit perfect score?

I don't think so.

I'm happy for the parents, but I was really hoping for a girl, what with the new rules for succession.

True- but they have had a queen now for many many years. Perhaps it is time to share the throne?

Oh and yes- all the very best to the new parents. They must be over the moon.

... there does not seem to be any evidence of illness, which one would have anticipated. Odd.

Well, and then again, maybe not. Seems the medical staff was not accurately reporting some of this. And if not reported, then the ship does not take appropriate measures to stop an outbreak.

What you call "knee jerk reactions" are a very effective way for passengers and prospective passengers to get management's attention.

Posted by duct tape many days before more recent revelations. In a fluid situation it may be unfair to hold anyone to a hope issued days before unfolding revelations. Heck, sometime ago I would have promised you Mr. Romney would be our President now. Whoops!

The facts are the facts. Trying to imagine putting food equipment under the bed, on the bed, under the covers, etc. This report went beyond anything I could imagine.

"Waiter, there's a fly in my soup."

"No, sir, that is 600 count Egyptian cotton!"

I thought there would be a little unpleasantness in the report, but not anything like this. And to see that they actually lowered the score, from 84 to 82.

And, Jeff, today's royal birth was such delightful news. I'm thrilled for you and your wonderful country. What happiness. For us too - as Terry said above, we're enjoying lots of wonderful TV coverage, interviews and documentaries. Cheers!

I thought there would be a little unpleasantness in the report, but not anything like this. And to see that they actually lowered the score, from 84 to 82.

And, Jeff, today's royal birth was such delightful news. I'm thrilled for you and your wonderful country. What happiness. For us too - as Terry said above, we're enjoying lots of wonderful TV coverage, interviews and documentaries. Cheers!

Glad you are all happy over there. Now pay us back for burning the White House in 1812.

And the Lend Lease bill, please.

Really? I haven't seen that sort of additional lowering before. Wasn't it 84 earlier today? (Maybe I saw something that had not been updated.)

I have noticed that more "name" ships (those most people have heard of and cruised onboard, that have had a better reputation, whether deserved or not) have been failing the CDC inspection than in earlier years.

Really? I haven't seen that sort of additional lowering before. Wasn't it 84 earlier today? (Maybe I saw something that had not been updated.)

I have noticed that more "name" ships (those most people have heard of and cruised onboard, that have had a better reputation, whether deserved or not) have been failing the CDC inspection than in earlier years.

Maybe they all have been cheating and the CDC has finally caught on?

Maybe they all have been cheating and the CDC has finally caught on?

I would prefer to think that only some of them have been cheating, though I suspect there are cruise lines that keep their worst ships (and staff) away from U.S. ports so that they will not be inspected.

I would prefer to think that only some of them have been cheating, though I suspect there are cruise lines that keep their worst ships (and staff) away from U.S. ports so that they will not be inspected.

Now that is scary.

Thanks SO MUCH! We are to. As much as I love the event, I'd now like to see the baby named and that we all push on. :D

Thanks to all that posted niceness to our once great nation on this occaision, I respond on behalf of all of us with a big "thanks". :)

Archived