What To Do In Whittier While On Back-to-Back

UnObstructedView

I've done the day cruise several times and that is a nice option. This May I did the Princess bus to Anchorage that gives you time to wander around on your own. I was worried that I would have too much time to kill but found I wanted more time. Of course we missed the tunnel times by 5 minutes both ways and lost 1/2 hour each way waiting for the next opening, that extra hour in Anchorage would have been nice

Ok...There is not a lot to do in Whittier....so you have two options:

1) a day trip out of Whitter on the road to Anchorage.

2) a day trip out of Whittier to see glaciers etc on some type of cruise.

Take your pick.

Princess has excursions to Anchorage, I am sure for turn around day-just make sure you get the round trip.

You can research the various sightseeing cruises around the sound if that turns you on...

Other wise, you can walk around the entire town in about 1 hour...and be bored for the rest of the day.

Great advice. Thanks.

We're pondering a rental car. Avis is $100 for the day to explore on our own.

It's way more than I'd ever pay for a rental in other cities, but up there I get it.

Any thoughts?

Renting a car is a great way to go. If you've never been here before, you can easily spend a day exploring.

The biggest thing you have to remember is distance and time. Assuming no stops, after you pick up the car, it can be up to 30 minute wait for the railroad tunnel you drive through to open. The drive takes about another 10-15 minutes (or ore if there is traffic). Once you are out, it is about a one hour drive to Anchorage -not stopping and doing the speed limit.

If you get to Anchorage then, it is another 1 hour back and up to a 30 minute wait to get back through the tunnel....

Keep that in mind.

Once through the tunnel, you can visit the Portage Glacier visitor's center, exit the Portage valley and go to the AK Wildlife conservation center (a quick turn off one you hit the highway to Anchorage (turn right at the end of Portage Valley Road-going left will take you on another adventure that is too complicated to go into right now).

About 10 miles down the road is a town called Girdwood. You can turn into there. There a ski lodge there that is first rate-in the summer they have a tram to the top of the mountain. There are some good restaurants there.

After Girdwood, it is about 35 miles to Anchorage, with many pullovers to stop and see all sorts of things. Just don't drive 35 miles an hour as you ooh and ahhh...the guys behind you won't appreciate it.

You will hit Anchorage in South Anchorage. There is a nice zoo there. If you continue on to downtown there are a lot more touristy things to see.

I would advise studying a map of the city before you come and checking out various Anchorage tourism sights on line to see what you want to do.

Just remember that it will take about 1/2 and hour to go from downtown to the start of the Seward highway south, about an hour back to the tunnel entrance (you will have to pay this time to go through) and up to 1/2 an hour to wait until the tunnel opens-plus transit time and time to drop off the car to get back to the the ship-so plan accordingly....

We did the Phillips 26 Glacier tour starting at 12:30pm, after we had walked around in the morning, and then walked around again afterward. We were there on a weekday and didn't book the tour until we saw what the weather was, but it was perfect and it was a wonderful way to spend the day.

We did the Phillips 26 Glacier tour starting at 12:30pm, after we had walked around in the morning, and then walked around again afterward. We were there on a weekday and didn't book the tour until we saw what the weather was, but it was perfect and it was a wonderful way to spend the day.

Thanks for sharing your timely post as we'll be there on the 24th & have nothing planned for our turnaround day in Whittier.

I'm viewing their website but do you have any recommendations about the tour? How do you get there from the cruise port?

We rented from Avis 2 weeks ago. It is located in the Harbor Center store. I don't think there is any other option for a rental. I guess the weather in whittier can be pretty wet . It was raining torrents on the July 1st. Luckily it was a bit better on the other side of the tunnel. We drove as far as Beluga Pioint and then back along the Arm, past the Portage road and towards the Kenai. If you want an offbeat place take the turnoff for Hope. It is a cute little place on the other side of Turnagain Arm. If nothing else make sure to stop at the museum. We were given a tour by Billy, a wonderful older gentleman with fabulous stories. Ask about the earthquake and the early days . He was fascinating as were the ladies who were also there, They asked for no money though we gave a donation. They are so proud of their town and its history. We loved it.

How do you get there from the cruise port?

Whittier is pretty small, maybe 10 minutes to walk from the ship to the other end of town (if you can even call it that) You'll understand when you are there.

As has be mentioned you either want to take a boat tour or head out of Whittier. You can see/do everything in Whittier in 30 minutes

There are fishing charters in Whittier. I'd suggest a halibut/rockfish/cod trip (bottom fishing). They will ship your catch home on dry ice (processed, packaged and portioned per your specifications) to arrive on the date of your choice.

Just google: fishing whittier alaska

Thanks for sharing your timely post as we'll be there on the 24th & have nothing planned for our turnaround day in Whittier.

I'm viewing their website but do you have any recommendations about the tour? How do you get there from the cruise port?

It is right there. Exit the terminal building, go to the left side of it (so, go to the right as you exit), and that's where the dock is for the 26 Glacier tour. The dock is actually right next to the ship, and, if you have a balcony on the starboard side, you'll probably see their boat when you arrive.

The Major Marine cruise leaves from a dock in the other direction, about a 5 minute walk from the ship (at most). But the Phillilps tour is right there.

This advice is fantastic. Thank you for the quick, informative replies.

I only see Avis as a "major" car rental agency.

Has anyone used any other company in Whittier?

Thank you.

Sorry - no other company in Whittier.;)

Whittier is pretty small, maybe 10 minutes to walk from the ship to the other end of town (if you can even call it that) You'll understand when you are there.

As has be mentioned you either want to take a boat tour or head out of Whittier. You can see/do everything in Whittier in 30 minutes

It is right there. Exit the terminal building, go to the left side of it (so, go to the right as you exit), and that's where the dock is for the 26 Glacier tour. The dock is actually right next to the ship, and, if you have a balcony on the starboard side, you'll probably see their boat when you arrive.

The Major Marine cruise leaves from a dock in the other direction, about a 5 minute walk from the ship (at most). But the Phillilps tour is right there.

Thanks to both of you & I'll check to see what's available and then decide based on the weather.

Major Marine was right next to Phillips when we were there on June 26.

The Major Marine Blackstone cruise was great for glacier viewing: it visits 3 glaciers and spends a lot of time at each one serenely watching the light change and various calvings. The lunch was great too.

http://majormarine.com/pws/prince-william-sound-glacier-cruise/#tour_10004

We did the longer 5-1/4 hour tour and loved it!

This is what we did last year and had a great time as well....

One thing that I wish I had known more in advance is that there are a couple Alaska coupon books out there that you can buy that have a 2 for 1 coupon for Major Marine and many other great Alaska Coupons. I did not know about these until too close to the cruise and there was no chance of getting it shipped to me in time before we left. Do a little Google research and maybe they are still available for this season??? (Do not think that I can put links in here for them per the rules???) Also you may check ebay as some people sell their unused coupons to recoupe their cost, just remember buyer beware on ebay.

Regardless HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!!! We did the B2B RT Vancouver last year and LOVED it!

Mark

Archived