Packing "aint" for sissies!

jwoap

Woowho!

Tomorrow we leave for Alaska on the Pearl. But I gotta tell ya -- packing ain't for sissies!

Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!

As my son and husband are loading the last bit of luggage into the car

(and no we didn't bring our travel espresso maker - I went and saw the thread about the crazy crap people bring and decided I didn't want to be that girl :p :eek:)

It's now becoming real that we are getting on one big boat!!

This will be the very first time that my siblings and myself (as adults) have gone anywhere together. I think our last family trip was when we were teenagers.

So excited!

Didn't think turning 50 would be this fun:D

Will post a review when I get home!

Talk to you soon!

Woowho!

Tomorrow we leave for Alaska on the Pearl. But I gotta tell ya -- packing ain't for sissies!

(and no we didn't bring our travel espresso maker - I went and saw the thread about the crazy crap people bring and decided I didn't want to be that girl :p :eek:)

This will be the very first time that my siblings and myself (as adults) have gone anywhere together. I think our last family trip was when we were teenagers.

So excited!

Talk to you soon!

Wow. Have fun. I've always wanted to take the whole family sometime. However, every time I almost make up my mind to spring for it, one of them seems to do something that really, really irritates me and I put it off. Of course, I'm sure I affected my parents the same way. Love the Pearl and the Alaska cruise.

Woowho!

So excited!

Talk to you soon!

wow have great fun

u need half the clothes you think you do

and twice the money u think u do:rolleyes:

Alaska is the perfect extended family cruise. We always found someone from our group parked in the seating area outside the buffet. As we returned from excursions we would grab a snack and go visit.

Have fun

I won't even begin to tell you the severity of overpacking done for my first Alaskan cruise. You would think I was running the Iditarod or something. It was 60-75 degrees the whole trip, except when cruising the Glaciers. Then the packets of hot cocoa, gloves, scarf, knit cap and warm jacket came in handy.

This cruise was the end of May.

For the second cruise, I packed 3 pairs of pants, 1 casual dress that could be spruced up, one long skirt, 2 nicer blouses, a couple mock tees and light thermal tops. One lightweight hooded jacket, more for drizzle then anything serious, a couple night gowns, cap and mittens.

No one is going to point at you in the buffet or MDR and say "Hey, that lady is wearing the same pants as embarkation!" Just about all outfits can be worn twice, mixed or matched etc. The suitcase weighed 37 pounds, (an ultralight spinner, 30"), fully loaded, and I still felt we'd overpacked :D

This time we traveled the tail end of May, weather 60-70 and felt soooo warm but much happier without all the "North To Alaska" "Expedition" clothes. Really, anything I would think of wearing in Seattle's drizzly weather would be just about perfect here unless you are planning flightseeing onto a glacier or something. Have a wonderful time and be sure and let us know how it goes!

wow have great fun

u need half the clothes you think you do

and twice the money u think u do:rolleyes:

Best advice for sure....less clothes(and "stuff")..more money :D

That evil, viscous, spewer of venom, Bette Davis, was credited with the humorous phrase "getting old isn't for sissies", many years ago. If you do a search on that phrase, you will find it used across the spectrum of population in the most fun way. It was paraphrased here. As someone already said, you will be having a very nice day if this is the worst thing that enters you day.

OP, I hope you're having a great time on your cruise! I have a love/hate relationship with packing. I get excited because it means we are close to leaving on our trip. On the other hand, it takes a lot of time and organizing considering I have to pack for 4 people besides myself! Can' wait to hear how your cruise was!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a travel espresso machine. Were you being serious? If so, I'm interested! If not, I just sounded like in idiot. :rolleyes:

I can't even imagine packing for me, DH and two kids for Alaska. But I hope to do it some day! Have a GREAT time! :)

OP, the hardest time I ever had packing was for my Alaska cruise. I was going in early June, so all weather types were on the table. It's the only time I ever brought two suitcases! Best of luck in whittling down your selections.

OP, the hardest time I ever had packing was for my Alaska cruise. I was going in early June, so all weather types were on the table. It's the only time I ever brought two suitcases! Best of luck in whittling down your selections.

Very true. We've gone the first week of June twice. First time, 75/80 and sunny, everywhere, everyday. Second time, 40s/50s and drizzly, everywhere, everyday. Ya just don't know.

Woowho!

So excited!

Talk to you soon!

bt time you see our responses you will be home and have wonderful memories I am sure. We all go through the packing frustration, especially with the new restrictions on weight, the extra bag charges, etc but I saw a great video a few years ago. it demonstrated how to pack for 2 weeks in just one 22 inch suitcase. I don't remember where I saw it. Anyway, I somewhat use the method now and am amazed how much we do manage to get into a single suitcase.

Hope you had a great Alaskan cruise and the weather cooperated.

the very first time I cruised, wow!!! :eek: talk about overpacking!!!:D . Just my kids alone I over thought their wardrobes, when in reality.... All my kids wore, seemingly on the past 4 years of cruising, are their swim trunks, flip flops, and the outfits my force I had to pry on their bodies to go to dinner !!....OOh , how I love those kids programs.... that's a whole another thread!!:p

OP, on our first NCL cruise I planned what I was going to wear every day -- even had a spreadsheet listing the items, down to the jewelry. I have never done that again. :D Each cruise seems to get a little easier, but I cannot seem to get everything into a small bag. My DH has an even tougher time, as he has really big shoes, and it takes a small bag just to hold his shoes.

I love packing for Alaska, because I wear jeans every day, and they truly can be worn more than once (even more than twice).

That evil, viscous, spewer of venom, Bette Davis, was credited with the humorous phrase "getting old isn't for sissies", many years ago. If you do a search on that phrase, you will find it used across the spectrum of population in the most fun way. It was paraphrased here. As someone already said, you will be having a very nice day if this is the worst thing that enters you day.

This is one of the all time best posts I have ever read on CC....thank you!!!!!

Archived