room service breakfast - who gets what

trub

Now I remember that I consulted my cell phone rather than my watch when I was waiting on room service. Not realizing that it had switched to Bar Harbor time (Eastern), I thought I was still looking at Central Time. Doing my mental 'adjustment' I was adding an hour to what my cell was reporting and wondering where the steward was!

Ah, that would do it. Thanks for explaining.

Can't you just fill out 2 separate cards and specify delivery times to be a couple of minutes apart, they will possibly be delivered at the same time.

:confused: Why would you do that?

I don't follow the 'reasoning'.

I wouldn't like that DH and I might be eating in shifts. We'd want our food delivered at the same time.

It certainly would make more work for the Room Service Stewards.

If two people want toast, I always put a 2 in front of toast. If one person wants fruit, I put a 1 in front of fruit, and so on. And yes, you can also write in anything you want on the breakfast ticket(for lack of a better word).

We've pretty well gotten everything we ordered, at the right time, and the food was hot. There was only one ship we had problems with and the poor steward had to go back to get the items that were missing. Breakfast minus the cereal I ordered doesn't equal breakfast for me. I love room service breakfast.

We ordered room service for breakfast every morning. I recall most items came on their own little plates so there were LOTS of plates and we just grabbed what we wanted. Most days we didn't have any problems, except once DH received a chocolate milk for his cereal instead of regular lol He's not picky so he just shrugged and ate his chocolate raisin bran lol Oh, and when you ask for 2 coffees, you get 2 pots of coffee, not 2 cups. Each pot holds 4 small cups, so be careful how many coffees you order lol

It does ask you to indicate how many portions of each item, and I think they guess at who wants what:D In any case, we always get what we ordered, and sometimes have to do a little switching from plate to plate, but no big deal. As mentioned previously, you have to be very specific about items like sugar, milk, butter, etc.

I like how nice the tray looks when it is delivered. Always a white cloth and the dishes placed so neatly and attractively........ and a bud vase with flowers. Nicely done.

Can't you just fill out 2 separate cards and specify delivery times to be a couple of minutes apart, they will possibly be delivered at the same time.

If you opened the link I provided above -- you will see that the times are set up for 1/2 hour delivery times -- not minutes. Thus you would not be eating at the same time.

And you would have to constantly ask for a second breakfast order form for your cabin. There is only 1 put on the bed at night in the cabins we stay in.

When we did order room service breakfast many years ago -- no flowers on the tray.

I always feel so bad you never seem to enjoy so many nice touches that everyone else seems to experience. I cannot imagine why this happens to you so often. Hopefully, your 'luck' will improve. :)

Surely you've seen enough Room Service tray photos posted here to know most of us have lovely Rosenthal bud vases with fresh flowers on our breakfast trays.

The only time this became anything like a problem was when I was with older grandgirl. She's a vegetarian, and my breakfast meat ended up on her plate. Yes, of course we switched it, but she wouldn't eat the little bit of egg that the meat had touched.

If the meat had been draped over the eggs, it would have been a bigger problem for her.

:confused: Why would you do that?

I don't follow the 'reasoning'.

I wouldn't like that DH and I might be eating in shifts. We'd want our food delivered at the same time.

It certainly would make more work for the Room Service Stewards.

I don't think you are giving the service staff enough credit. Filling out two separate cards tells the staff to keep the meals separate (as single travellers may sometimes be assigned a travel mate).

Checking a time slot and writing in times that are minutes apart re-confirms to the delivery staff to keep the orders separate. At least this is how it was explained to me in the 80s when I started cruising.

I don't think you are giving the service staff enough credit. Filling out two separate cards tells the staff to keep the meals separate (as single travellers may sometimes be assigned a travel mate).

Checking a time slot and writing in times that are minutes apart re-confirms to the delivery staff to keep the orders separate. At least this is how it was explained to me in the 80s when I started cruising.

Oh, Okay.......

If that works for you, great. :)

BTW...... No one respects and values HAL crews more than DH and me. :) There may be some who values these crews as much as us but no one more so.

some days we get what we order but most of the time we get more than we want as if you say 2 eggs you will get 2 orders. Toast is usually soggy, not crisp and If you want extra coffee ask for a large pot and sometimes they only deliver 1 coffee cup so check the tray before releasing the steward. Also you must request all the side needs like butter, milk, jams etc. I never tried to get waffles in the room and no corned beef hash. Just enjoy not having to get dressed and go to Lido or DR. If you want fresh squeezed oj write it in or you will get very sweet reconstituted juice,

No problem like this on Princess.

Each item is so stated on the menu that it comes all wrapped up in its own little foil package. In other words, "egg on muffin with bacon" or "scrambled egg on toast with saussage" Can't make a mistake because you can mix bacon witrh scrambled egg or saussage with fried egg etc.

The menu is soooo much simpler than HALs.:rolleyes:

There is much about Princess that I like, but room service is way behind HAL.

oh, heavens!! why not fill out two cards with two separate orders, for delivery at the same time? label one 'person a' and the other 'person b.' what, for heaven's sake is the problem? they will come on two separate trays. this is such ado about nothing.

No problem like this on Princess.

Each item is so stated on the menu that it comes all wrapped up in its own little foil package. In other words, "egg on muffin with bacon" or "scrambled egg on toast with saussage" Can't make a mistake because you can mix bacon witrh scrambled egg or saussage with fried egg etc.

The menu is soooo much simpler than HALs.:rolleyes:

There is much about Princess that I like, but room service is way behind HAL.

You got that right. Their brekie menu in the MDR leaves a lot to be desired too.

hey, was not my intention to cause controversy - and thanks for all your comments.

enjoy your cruising ..

Don't worry. It was an interesting question and provoked some interesting discussion. However, there are those among us who will post something nasty and rude no matter what the topic.

hey, was not my intention to cause controversy - and thanks for all your comments.

enjoy your cruising ..

We welcome questions the stimulate discussion among the members. That's the whole purpose of an open forum.

enjoy your cruising ..

Do not feel bad - that was a good questions and it got us all thinking. Some knee-jerk responses are probably regretting, having made themselves look silly, though.;) Keep on asking....

Archived