Select or Traditional seating for Gluten Free?

Karen@Steve

Thinking of booking a cruise with my DD. DH and I have sailedl Celebrity multiple times (Nov is our next cruise). This mother-daughter cruise would be on the Summit. DD is very Gluten intolerant and needs to be very careful.

While DH and I usually do select dining, I'm thinking that traditional seating would be best for DD and I since we could get to know our servers and our maitre'd. They could be made aware of her dietary restriction and be less likely to make a mistake (which could really mess up the cruise).

So I'm asking for opinions. Should we book traditional or select?

Agree with traditional for the reasons you listed.

Do a search of this board and you will find many many posts from people who have cruised Celebrity while gluten free -- I think you'll find lots of hints and tips, what worked and what didn't.

If it were me I would definitely do traditional for just the reasons you mentioned. Not that any staff member wouldn't care, but your MDR waiter has a lot more invested in making sure you are happy each and every day. Why take chances if the risks are too great for a bad experience.

Agree with traditional for the reasons you listed.

Do a search of this board and you will find many many posts from people who have cruised Celebrity while gluten free -- I think you'll find lots of hints and tips, what worked and what didn't.

I agree also, you get the same food but having the same waiters is a plus. Don't forget to call the Special Services dept.

We usually book select and gluten free is not a problem. Your dietary needs are noted in the computer and linked to your room number. The dinner menus note the gf selecions so it is possible to make selections on the spot. However, you may still request to see the menu for the next evening and select something that needs modifications. If you happen to have a waiter you really like, you my be able to set up a standing reservation for his or her section.

I find it helps to have a good understanding of the diet and to question anything that does not appear safe. Celebrity has done a great job of making many selections safe for the gf diet. They could improve dessert selections.

We had select dining on the Summit and had the same serving team and same table every night. In our case, we made reservations for each night on-line before the cruise rather than just showing up at random times each night. So, I think it is possible to do select dining and have a consistent serving team either by making reservations ahead of time or talking to the maitre d' the first day of your cruise. Do you plan to contact Celebrity in advance about your DD's gluten free dietary needs? Enjoy your cruise.

I would go definitely with Traditional. I have been on two cruises lately with a friend who has specific dietary needs. Everyone from the Maitre d' on down has been wonderful - the Maitre d' and head waiter came every evening after dessert to go over the next days menu and there was never any confusion for when we arrived for dinner the next evening, the ordering went smoothly as it was all set up the night before. My friend was concerned about a fuss being made over his needs and it was all handled very subtlety and with care. He was more than impressed.

I asked a large number of questions in May and February, since our DD has a number of food allergies. I was assured that either was fine, and that a speciality would be fine as well.

Feel free to book either. We like Select since some nights we just aren't ready to eat at 6pm, but find that late seating is too late for us.

Thanks everyone. I will be contacting Celebrity about DD dietary needs. She's an adult but GF has been a hassle for better than half her life and I want to make it as stress free as possible. We're also hoping to do Qsine but will check that out on board to make sure there is enough of a selection for her. Over the year's I've gotten used to each GF too when we dine together. It's certainly easier now then every before. I'm hoping they can come up with a few desserts that she can have...hopefully, something chocolate!

I think a lot of it has to do who you get as an asst maitre d. Our DD the first time ate like a queen with her multiple food allergies bc our asst maitre d was over the top helpful. Our second cruise with her (we have been on many cruises just this past one was her second) was a bit frustrating. Our asst maitre d was MIA. We had to beg our server and make multiple requests for him to come over. Food was not brought. Food she was allergic to was given to her (he argued with me until I showed it to him), then it was raw. I gave up after a bit. I did complain and his attitude changed but my DD was frustrated by it (wasn't fixed until the end she was only 5 and it was hard when 2 hrs later she still had no dinner or brought foods we told then she was allergic to). On the flipside...on both cruises the asst maitre d and head of aqua spa bent over backwards. Rushing around to arrange special meals, find out about dishes etc. Luckily hers are not life threatening but horrible stomach problems and hives or rashes would not have been fun. I found the key was to call way before and fax your forms in. They can get some special items if you request well in advance. Also we see the maitre d when we get on and find out who our asst maitre d is. Our 1st time the asst maitre d brought the dinner menu and then offered to make my DD (then 4). Anything she wanted. They made her plain steaks, with steamed veggies and fries, salads, soups, sorbets. Aqua spa grilled her tuna, pork, chicken. They even had special dairy free waffles sent to our room for breakfast. The key was ordering breakfast and dinner the night before. When we did that the 1st time there was very little they couldn't do. If they could do dairy free, chocolate, shellfish, orange, strawberry free items then GF should be fine. There seemed to be a lot of notations about gf all over. I find 98% of the people will really be great but if someone isn't helpful speak up and it will be fixed.

Thanks everyone. I will be contacting Celebrity about DD dietary needs. She's an adult but GF has been a hassle for better than half her life and I want to make it as stress free as possible. We're also hoping to do Qsine but will check that out on board to make sure there is enough of a selection for her. Over the year's I've gotten used to each GF too when we dine together. It's certainly easier now then every before. I'm hoping they can come up with a few desserts that she can have...hopefully, something chocolate!

I too am GF and have done Select dining with no trouble at all. I try to stay with the same Head Waiter who personally takes my dinner request for the following night after dinner each night. Bonus for all dinning with us is a preview of the next night's menu ahead of time. They will do special requests as well but typically you need to give them a day or two notice depending on what you want. It's really no issue with either dinning option.

With respect to Specialty Restaurants such as Qsine, a lot of menu items can be adjusted to accommodate special diets, however they prefer to be given 24 hrs notice in order to be able to make those accommodations.

I am GF and want to tell you that Qsine has a GF chocolate dessert to die for. I think it was called tombstone something. IMHO it's the best chocolate dessert on the ship.

I am GF and want to tell you that Qsine has a GF chocolate dessert to die for. I think it was called tombstone something. IMHO it's the best chocolate dessert on the ship.

I had it on my last cruise. Best dessert of the whole cruise! Didn't know it was GF. Thanks for the info.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am Celiac, and while my first Celebrity cruise is coming up, I have cruised many times on Royal and always take anytime (Select) dining. I am typically seated in the same section and the head waiter's have gone out of their way to make sure I am taken care of. I have not been in set dining at all since being diagnosed with Celiac and so far, never had a problem.

Hoping Celebrity is just as wonderful as Royal is with that part of my cruise, but I am sure they will be!! I did already notify the special needs dept as well.

Thinking of booking a cruise with my DD. DH and I have sailedl Celebrity multiple times (Nov is our next cruise). This mother-daughter cruise would be on the Summit. DD is very Gluten intolerant and needs to be very careful.

While DH and I usually do select dining, I'm thinking that traditional seating would be best for DD and I since we could get to know our servers and our maitre'd. They could be made aware of her dietary restriction and be less likely to make a mistake (which could really mess up the cruise).

So I'm asking for opinions. Should we book traditional or select?

I have 2 sisters that are GF and we have never had problems with the flexible dining vs traditional. Always have the same wait staff, and they tell them each night what is available the next night for them for dinner. I am also pretty much a veggie, and they also just bring me what I want. I personally don't think you will have an issue.

Archived