Getting to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul

We are going to be in Istanbul for 1 1/2 days in Sept on the Celebrity Reflection. I have not seen any shore excursions that I like and was wondering how far it is from the ship to the Grand Bazaar and if anyone can tell me the cost of a taxi and if it is easy to get one.

Rather than taking a taxi, I would recommend the local tram, which runs very close to where the ships dock and will take you to the Grand Bazaar for (if I remember the current price) 2 Turkish lira per person.

It's easy, faster than a cab, and very cheap. There's a lot of info on using the tram here on these boards, but if you need more help figuring it out, just ask.

We agree with Cruisemom that using the inexpensive Tram is the cheapest and easiest way to get across the bridge and into town (from where you can walk to the Grand Bazaar and/or Spice Market (Egyptian Bazaar). DW and I also like to simply walk all the way from the port to the Bazaar....but this is probably close to a 2 mile walk (but walking is the best way to enjoy Istanbul). And by the way, if you walk over the Galacta Bridge there is a lower level that is lines with some decent seafood restaurants and a few shops.

Hank

The tram is easy & cheap but you need to have Turkish lira to use it. It's now 3 turkish lira to use it.

Taxis very easy to get, there are tons of them at the port exit.

Celebrity offered a shuttle bus running between the port & the Grand Bazaar once your up that way you can visit any of the other big sites its very close to Haia Sophia, the Blue mosque and Basilica Cistern. I want to say it was $10 for one day & $15 for both but don't quote me on that.

Be very careful with the fish boats by the bridge. Our Captain even warned us about eating there. However my 17yo son had to have a fish sandwich from the boats & was sick for 2 days afterward.

Be very careful with the fish boats by the bridge. Our Captain even warned us about eating there. However my 17yo son had to have a fish sandwich from the boats & was sick for 2 days afterward.

This is the first time I have ever heard that. I've partaken of those fish sandwiches several times with no ill effects.

We just got back Istanbul and I also recommend taking the tram. When you exit the port area, go to your right toward the Tophane tram stop. You will find several ATMs in the vicinity of this tram stop to get your Turkish Lira for the day. (If you are given only large bills when you use the ATM, just pop into the adjoining bank and they will exchange it for smaller bills. You'll need small bills to buy tokens for the tram.)

Once you have your TL, go to the Tophane stop and, using the fare machine, purchase your tram tokens. They cost 3 TL each and you might want to go ahead and buy extras for your return trip later in the day. To get to the Grand Bazaar, get off at the Beyazit stop and walk about a block or so. (You should see some signs.) To get to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace, you would get off at the Sultanamet stop.

Using the tram is easy, fast and cheap. They are nice, new and clean and even when they are crowded (e.g. rush hour), it's a good way to travel.

We agree with Cruisemom that using the inexpensive Tram is the cheapest and easiest way to get across the bridge and into town (from where you can walk to the Grand Bazaar and/or Spice Market (Egyptian Bazaar). DW and I also like to simply walk all the way from the port to the Bazaar....but this is probably close to a 2 mile walk (but walking is the best way to enjoy Istanbul). And by the way, if you walk over the Galacta Bridge there is a lower level that is lines with some decent seafood restaurants and a few shops.

Hank

Thank you for this suggestion Hank. We'll be in Istanbul mid September, with an Overnight stop as part of our HAL cruise. Since we're arriving 4:00pm, we expect that there will not be much time to see any of the sights the first evening, and plan to just try and find a nice, casual meal somewhere. This sounds like what we'll be after. Unless there are other suggestions by others as well? Also, typically, what should be planning on cost wise for a typical, casual meal in Istanbul. 50 TL pp? 100TL pp? Just trying to come up with some kind of typical budget, so we know an approx. amount to withdraw from mentioned ATM's. :) Thanks for all inputs. :)

We just got back Istanbul and I also recommend taking the tram. When you exit the port area, go to your right toward the Tophane tram stop. You will find several ATMs in the vicinity of this tram stop to get your Turkish Lira for the day. (If you are given only large bills when you use the ATM, just pop into the adjoining bank and they will exchange it for smaller bills. You'll need small bills to buy tokens for the tram.)

Once you have your TL, go to the Tophane stop and, using the fare machine, purchase your tram tokens. They cost 3 TL each and you might want to go ahead and buy extras for your return trip later in the day. To get to the Grand Bazaar, get off at the Beyazit stop and walk about a block or so. (You should see some signs.) To get to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace, you would get off at the Sultanamet stop.

Using the tram is easy, fast and cheap. They are nice, new and clean and even when they are crowded (e.g. rush hour), it's a good way to travel.

Just an FYI, you can also go left on exiting the port. It is a further walk to the tram stop but that tram stop has a little manned hut that will accept larger TL bills for tokens.

We ate at the top of the Orient Express Hotel. You can see the menu online and make a reservation if you prefer. It was not real crowded when we were there. There is a beautiful view from the top of the building. Food was given a good review on Trip Advisor the year we were in Istanbul.

I would add that there are plenty of decent restaurants in Istanbul (seafood is often very good and fresh) but, if you are staying in a hotel the places on the lower level of the Galacta Bridge may not be very convenient. You might want to do some research on sites like Tripadvisor to get restaurant ideas. We also love to quiz hotel staff about their personal recommendations.

Hank

This is the first time I have ever heard that. I've partaken of those fish sandwiches several times with no ill effects.

I guess we were just unlucky because trust me the results of that sandwich were not pretty. He even said 'maybe I should have stopped eating it when I found a fin'

DW and I also like to simply walk all the way from the port to the Bazaar....but this is probably close to a 2 mile walk (but walking is the best way to enjoy Istanbul). And by the way, if you walk over the Galacta Bridge there is a lower level that is lines with some decent seafood restaurants and a few shops.

Hank

Hello Hank,

Can you remember how long it took to cross the Galata Bridge when walking? DH and me are planning to do this and then visit the Spice Market. However that day we will be only in Istanbul for the morning and I do not want to mis-calculate it. Also thinking about going back with the tram, how long would that take? Or if it takes less then I imagine we could do one level to the Spice market and come back on the other level of the Bridge. Is that do-able? Thanks for your help in advance, Lenie.

We are going to be in Istanbul for 1 1/2 days in Sept on the Celebrity Reflection. I have not seen any shore excursions that I like and was wondering how far it is from the ship to the Grand Bazaar and if anyone can tell me the cost of a taxi and if it is easy to get one.

If you like to walk, I would walk from the ship. It will take about 30 minutes to 45 minutes depending on your pace. It is really fun to do this. Or as others said take the tram.

Try to visit the Spice Market too.

The Grand Bazaar is nice but can be overwhelming but either way try to fit the Spice Market into your visit.

Keith

Just a quickie re suggestions of which tram stop, which direction to the tram stop, whether to walk instead, etc.

Folk have posted about their own experience.

But the quayside is long - well over a mile.

So if you're berthed right by Galata bridge, walking to the Grand Bazaar is pretty easy, about a mile, & an interesting walk. Or take the tram from the Karakoy stop, which is on the bridge approach.

But if you're at the other end of the quay the walk is more than twice as far, the first part also being very boring. And the nearest tram stop might be one or two or even three stops from the bridge.

So take a look from on deck before you choose whether to walk, & take advice locally about the nearest tram stop. Make a note of the name of the tram stop where you boarded, so you know where to get off on the return trip.

If you have no TL & there's no ATM on the way, a shop near the stop is likely to sell tram tokens & since many others will have been in the same position the shop is likely to accept euros, possibly USD. Doubtless a poor exchange rate, but no big deal on the price of a tram ticket.

Two tram stops for the Grand Bazaar, neither is particularly close.

Eminonu is just the other side of Galata bridge. Use the underpass to the open square in front of the Spice Bazaar (also known as Egyptian Bazaar). The bottom entrance to the Grand Bazaar is mebbe 5 mins beyond, longer if you get lost :D

Beyazit-Kapalisarsi is many stops further, after the stops at Sultanahmet & Cemberlitas, from there you approach the Grand Bazaar downhill to the top entrance.

But Sultanahmet is where most visitors get off, to visit places like the Blue Mosque before including the Grand Bazaar on their way back down to the Golden Horn/Galata bridge.

iancal - is right about cabs at the port. They pay for the privilege so will screw the traveller. If you want a cab (eg if the tram doesn't go where you want), walk out to the road & hail a cab willing to use its meter.

GradUT - you mentioned the tram fare as 3TL. Last time I was in Istanbul a couple of years back it had just gone up to 2TL.

A typo by you? Or me being out-of-date?

Waihekean - the lower level of Galata bridge doesn't go all the way across the Golden Horn, there's a gap in the middle for boats to pass through. Others might know whether there's steps there to the upper level

JB :)

I am interested in a Princess tour at Istanbul: "St. Sophia, Blue Mosque & Time On Your Own". After touring St. Sophia and Blue Mosque, it will take us to Grand Bazaar for 3 hours for shopping, but I think I only need 30 minutes to shop. I try to go to see Topkai Palace, Harem or may be Cistern. I don’t mind to just take a look of the building from outside if not enough time to go in, then walk back to Grand Bazaar to aboard the bus. Is it doable in 2 hours? How far from Grand Bazaar to these places? Thanks.

I am interested in a Princess tour at Istanbul: "St. Sophia, Blue Mosque & Time On Your Own". After touring St. Sophia and Blue Mosque, it will take us to Grand Bazaar for 3 hours for shopping, but I think I only need 30 minutes to shop. I try to go to see Topkai Palace, Harem or may be Cistern. I don’t mind to just take a look of the building from outside if not enough time to go in, then walk back to Grand Bazaar to aboard the bus. Is it doable in 2 hours? How far from Grand Bazaar to these places? Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Grand Bazaar is a bit away from the rest of the sites in the old town (Sultanahmet). You can certainly walk there and back but each way may take 20 minutes or more (longer to Topkapi which is at the very tip of the peninsula).

Why not just ditch the tour after they get you to the Grand Bazaar and take the tram back whenever you're ready? It's easy; there are a couple of stops in Sultanahmet and it will take you over Galata Bridge and then stop at two stops near the port. The cost is 3 TL per person.

Another option would be to just do the whole day on your own. The Blue Mosque is free anyway (no admission). Haghia Sophia and Topkapi tend to get some lines as the day goes on, so if you want to do either of those (on your own), it's advisable to either be there first thing in the morning or pre-purchase your tickets online.

Thank you for the information. This our first trip to these ports, we don’t feel comfortable to take the tram or go on our own. We will book the tour which will cover St. Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque & Underground Cistern. Another tour has Topkapi Palace Harem instead of Cistern. Which one is more interesting for the first time visitors?

Thank you for the information. This our first trip to these ports, we don’t feel comfortable to take the tram or go on our own. We will book the tour which will cover St. Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque & Underground Cistern. Another tour has Topkapi Palace Harem instead of Cistern. Which one is more interesting for the first time visitors?

Wise decision.

I would go with the Cistern.

We did the same on our first visit to Istanbul.

Since then we have done all of this on our own but for your first time I can see why you would do a tour.

Enjoy!

Keith

Hmmm. I would opt for both (which is one more reason why we normally do not take tours). But if you must choose we agree with Keith about going to the Cistern. DW and I had actually been I Istanbul 5 times (including 2 land visits when we spent multiple days in local hotels, but for some strange reason never went to the Cistern (even though we walked by the entrance many times). Finally on our most recent trip (the 5th time is the charm) we paid our money and went down the steps into the Cistern. And we were floored by the place (be careful...parts are slippery and you could really get "floored" in a not nice way). The Cistern is quite amazing and also beautiful in its own way.

Hank

It's a tough choice. Topkapi without the harem isn't really worth seeing IMO. On the other hand, I really liked the Basilica Cistern. I've been to Istanbul several times -- once at Topkapi was enough for me, but I've been back to the Cistern twice.

Another way to look at it: are you more interested in the Ottoman history of Turkey (Topkapi Harem) or the Byzantine history (Cistern)?

I don't think you can go too wrong either way. I think Istanbul is a fantastic city.

Archived