Princess dock in Brooklyn

Georgia-boy

does anyone know:

When Princess docks in New York at the Brooklyn terminal which way does the bow point north or south? When it sails does it go north and turn around and go by the statue of liberty or south and only see the statue of liberty off in the distance?

Charles

The Statue of Liberty is normally at the 1 o'clock position (starboard side), about 1.5-2 miles ahead. Therefore, the ship is mostly facing south-west. The statue will be on the starboard (right) side as you pass. The ship does not need to turn around on the way out; it turns upon arrival when docking in the AM.

Incredible sailaway from that port. We got some really good photos of lower Manhattan prior to sailing from the ship. Statue of Liberty also great photos. Sailing out of Brooklyn one of the best. (Canada-New England RT. Brooklyn).

A few years ago we sailed from Europe on the Crown. Our ship approached NYC in the very early morning hours. Maxtone -Graham was on the loud speakers narrating as we approached. Music was playing patriotic songs and through the fog we saw the lit torch of Statue of Liberty. Took my breathe away.As the fog lifted, we saw more, very dramatic. Very few U.S. citizens on our cruise, mostly Australians and British. What a special sail in for everyone.Next to sailing into Venice, the best.

The Statue of Liberty is normally at the 1 o'clock position (starboard side), about 1.5-2 miles ahead. Therefore, the ship is mostly facing south-west. The statue will be on the starboard (right) side as you pass. The ship does not need to turn around on the way out; it turns upon arrival when docking in the AM.

Thank you, glad to hear from a local.

Charles

does anyone know:

When Princess docks in New York at the Brooklyn terminal which way does the bow point north or south? When it sails does it go north and turn around and go by the statue of liberty or south and only see the statue of liberty off in the distance?

Charles

Here are a couple of pictures from the Caribbean Princess (September 7, 2008 dock in Brooklyn. In the first picture (a wide angle view) you can see the Statue of Liberty looking across the southern end of Governors Island.

200809271936101.jpg

Then from the same spot but zoomed in you can see the Statue of Liberty very good.

200809271938371.jpg

Then as we are leaving we sail sort of past the Statue of Liberty.

200809271947061.jpg

I hope that this gives an idea of what you will be able to see. Yes, the ship was headed out so it did not have to turn around on the way out.

So it will be docked on the port side.

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, sailing with the stature of liberty in view is a wonderful experience.

Of all the movies I have seen, when sailing from New York, that view stands out more than any other.

Charles

Wow, very exciting about leaving this port. Just a question, was there a shuttle from the port that took you to a subway ? I've got an idea of how to walk to it, but just wondering if Princess offered a shuttle from the port. cheers

Wow, very exciting about leaving this port. Just a question, was there a shuttle from the port that took you to a subway ? I've got an idea of how to walk to it, but just wondering if Princess offered a shuttle from the port. cheers

There's no shuttle to the subway. I wouldn't recommend walking to the nearest stations ... traffic, road construction, other obstacles, etc. The B61 city bus stops just outside the terminal on Van Brunt Street, which will take you to various subway stations; I recommend taking it to the end of the line at Fulton/Jay Streets, which will give you more subway options. The fare is currently $2.50, which includes a free subway transfer (be sure to ask for it). Exact fare in coins, no paper money accepted! (This is cheaper than any shuttle anyway.) Check out the website at http://new.mta.info/. And beware of Saturdays and Sundays ... various services can be disrupted for construction and/or repairs.

If you haven't already done so, check out nyharhorwebcam dot com. The view of the ships against the NY skyline, the Statue of Liberty, and the Verrazano takes my breath away every time I watch it. They have some great videos in their archives, too. I love the Space Shuttle being transported by barge to the Intrepid.

I believe, next to sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge that sailing past the Statue of Liberty would be the most magnificent sight in the world!!!!!

We were lucky enough to enjoy both of these sights in the past year. Seeing the Statue of Liberty in the very early morning while listening to the reading of the famous poem was very emotional for me. I was thinking about my grandfathers seeing that same sight as they arrived in the U.S. as young boys.

I believe, next to sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge that sailing past the Statue of Liberty would be the most magnificent sight in the world!!!!!

I'm fortunate to have done both. Returning from a second tour in Japan the wife and I sailed into San Francisco on a U.S Navy transport, the USS General A.E. Anderson. Our first "cruise".:p

They were great experiences.

Archived