Wow....Hal shouldn't have ticked me off....

alwaysfrantic

I can't imagine any other vacation that I'd take that would restrict my habits in this way-if I stay at a fabulous resort, for instance, they have a financial interest in me buying food and alcohol from them but they aren't going to search my luggage or forbid me from bringing my own into my room to consume. This seems just bizarre to me.

Excellent point. Geez, I hope Disney doesn't catch me with my bag of breakfast items when we go stay at one of their hotels. I wouldn't want to be put on their list of undesirables. And before anyone gets their nickers in a knot, we spend plenty of money there.

ok, i'm open. someone tell me why. i can fly rt to new york, stay in a decent hotel, get tickets to broadway matinees and perhaps the met, visit the museums, and eat at great delis. for ten days, at much less than i can put up with HAL's no-policies, and have fine wine to boot. and take in a show at radio city, and see the rock centre at christmas time. and have money left over on a HAL cruise? HAL? poor wines, poor shows, poor decorations, and so much more, or less? come on, follks, let's have your answers.

ok, i'm open. someone tell me why. i can fly rt to new york, stay in a decent hotel, get tickets to broadway matinees and perhaps the met, visit the museums, and eat at great delis. for ten days, at much less than i can put up with HAL's no-policies, and have fine wine to boot. and take in a show at radio city, and see the rock centre at christmas time. and have money left over on a HAL cruise? HAL? poor wines, poor shows, poor decorations, and so much more, or less? come on, follks, let's have your answers.

People cruise because they get to sleep and travel to new ports at the same time. If your interests are only things you like to do on land and in a fixed location, your NYC stay makes perfect sense.

Sorry Lorene - but it's not the wine thing anymore - it's the way HAL has handled the whole thing and the replies without addressing any concerns.

I don't expect them to 'give me' anything - but I do expect them to have a little empathy and not just send the pat reply that was plastered across the FB page.

I also expect someone who is in customer service to understand the word empathy - I certainly had some when I did it. yeah, you're right - I better get off the boards.

What is it that you are expecting from them? They have likely been bombarded with emails etc. Do they really have time to tailor every answer? I know you are angry and they have backed off to a certain degree. I just don't understand what would be acceptable to you at this point. If I was as angry as you I would certainly walk away for the time being and I have done just that in the past.

Lucky you. How do you manage that? I stayed in NYC for 3 days. It was beyond expensive and I'm not likely to return because I hated it so much.

Lucky you. How do you manage that? I stayed in NYC for 3 days. It was beyond expensive and I'm not likely to return because I hated it so much.

Cruising can be done for close to $100-$200 a day - hard to make that work in NYC or a lot of other land-based vacations, even camping these days.

What is it that you are expecting from them? They have likely been bombarded with emails etc. Do they really have time to tailor every answer? I know you are angry and they have backed off to a certain degree. I just don't understand what would be acceptable to you at this point. If I was as angry as you I would certainly walk away for the time being and I have done just that in the past.

Actually all they had to say is ...thank you for your concerns. we will look into your suggestions...in the meantime here is the policy...we value your business and hope you will continue to sail on Holland america.

I don't know - some such b.s. like that would have probably made me feel better.

When you send an email with specific suggestions (and a lot of constructive ideas - like improve the wine list and ask if they plan on doing it) then yes, I expect someone to at least pretend they read the email.

Sorry if my expectations were too high. The reply they sent was exactly what was sent to facebook - really personal. If they are that busy then wait a day and compose some replies - and if they are getting that many emails then they should be getting the message and to continue to send this impersonalized email is not the HAL I know.

In the past I have emailed guest relations (or whatever it is) and always gotten help.

Ok, if you think my expectations were too high - that's fine. No worries.

IMO they are handling this very badly - but that's ok - each to their own

I'm not going to get into arguments with anyone - if people think my concerns aren't valid - that's fine. Each to their own.

right now I am feeling very disillusioned, very sad and at the same time mad. I don't make any decisions when I feel like that. I wait.

Noordam is what I am currently booked on. Eclipse is what is in the same general area at the same time.

We loved the Eclipse! The spa suite was small'ish (just a regular size balcony cabin really) but everything else was excellent, especially the included Blu dining room.

And, in case you're interested ~ I purchased their premium beverage package and my DH took the regular package. Well worth every penny for each of us (especially since I have a pesky specialty coffee "thing" and those few cups of mocha latte daily can add up!). I was able to order excellent wine, my favorite cosmo, taste wine before purchasing a bottle, etc. ;)

i guess, laurekauf, where you stay and what your expectations are makes the difference. i have friends in manhattan, and we have met them on cruises prior. also,we don't have to take lux transit everywhere. a bus is fine. we do not have to have the 'best seats in the house' and are perfectly fine with discounted matinee tickets. what one seeks, one will find, even in manhattan. even a broadway or met level performance in new york is an experience far beyond anything . . . well, elsewhere.

and light years ahead of anything on HAL.

Actually all they had to say is ...thank you for your concerns. we will look into your suggestions...in the meantime here is the policy...we value your business and hope you will continue to sail on Holland america.

I don't know - some such b.s. like that would have probably made me feel better.

When you send an email with specific suggestions (and a lot of constructive ideas - like improve the wine list and ask if they plan on doing it) then yes, I expect someone to at least pretend they read the email.

Sorry if my expectations were too high. The reply they sent was exactly what was sent to facebook - really personal. If they are that busy then wait a day and compose some replies - and if they are getting that many emails then they should be getting the message and to continue to send this impersonalized email is not the HAL I know.

In the past I have emailed guest relations (or whatever it is) and always gotten help.

I'm not going to get into arguments with anyone - if people think my concerns aren't valid - that's fine. Each to their own.

right now I am feeling very disillusioned, very sad and at the same time mad. I don't make any decisions when I feel like that. I wait.

Jacqui - maybe have a look at what Viking Oceans is offering? they have some interesting itineraries, basic walking tour of port or something similar- included, although there are optional excursions to purchase, and their beverage policy may fit the bill......I believe there are some early booking discounts going on- and perhaps you could co-ordinate their ocean cruise with a river cruise?

Carol

hi, laurekauff; didn't mean to put down calgary; i hear the annual rodeo and steer roundup is fantastic. and i, seriously, would like to see it. do you go there? and you have a great hockey team, though i don't know much or care much about hockey, coming from the south. i just made a point, that's all.

hi, laurekof. actually, the song is by rodgers and hart. and was made a hit by ella fitzgerald and frank sinatra. the opening words are' i'll take manhattan, the bronx, and staten island, too.' it didn't mention 'hal.' lol

Thanks. It may well be that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't

know.

This is so true. We like HAL - a lot - but within the last couple of years have cruised on Carnival (1x), Princess(2x) and Celebrity(2x). For each cruise, we can point to one or two things that the cruise line did better than the others. No one cruise line does everything perfectly. We always cut a little slack for the things that perhaps aren't up to our expectations, and we've never gotten off a ship and said "never again".

The mainstream, mid range cruiselines overall are much more similar than they are different. Maybe we're just too easy to please, but to us it's a vacation, and how much we enjoy it is under our control. We can't afford to not have a good time.

This is a textbook Business Sense 101 case of a company not following the simplest, cheapest and proven techniques for customer relations. You are a loyal, vocal and high end customer who makes the case for splurging when appropriate (most expensive ship, unique itineraries, penthouse suite, hosted parties).

The boilerplate response to you and others extends and magnifies HAL's original mistake: the significant change in policy with no notice. Their lack of foresight in rolling out a new program, including lack of standardized information and training for all customer-facing staff, is atrocious. The haphazard roll out mid-cruise(!) that KirkNC and others witnessed is ridiculous. All of this could have been avoided had HAL spent 10 minutes talking with any traveler, frontline customer service rep or man on the street and asking them what they thought would happen.

HAL has every right to change anything they like for their bottom line. However, their lack of transparency, poor execution, lack of apology for their initial mistaken roll out and their apparent inability to grasp that backtracking after public outcry without acknowledgment that they upset their loyal fans does not bode well for their future in a very competitive marketplace.

For the record, my first HAL cruise (selected for the itinerary) is in a few weeks. I don't drink wine and am not affected one way or the other on this particular policy. The concern this raises goes more to HAL's regard for customer relations and commitment to loyal customers with concerns.

Such is your positive presence, Kazu, that the thought of you and others who fill this HAL board with so much information and insight would "jump ship" to another line makes me a bit dispirited.

I don't hold out much hope for a corporate entity that has botched this much for so many days without putting someone in authority out front to take a stand, explain the policy, answer all questions and remind us of why HAL has so many fans but perhaps they will surprise us all. The clock is ticking though.

This is an eloquent and thoughtful post--thanks and nice work!! Expresses my feeling exactly--not so much annoyed that the policy changed but very annoyed at how it was rolled out.

I wonder if HAL hires summer interns and they thought this would be a great summer project/way to get a job with HAL:D

And kazu--stay on the boards--maybe drink a glass of wine while posting:). that always calms me down.

ML

If you dislike cost cutting operations,

If you want to take profit of a price reduction after you have booked,

If you don't want to buy your alcoholic beverages on board, despite an extensive choice,

If you always want to have more advantages in a loyalty program than already offered,

If you want to have the most flexible cancellation policy,

If you ask for maximum compensation for any inconvenience that might occur,

If you still want your lobster several times a cruise,

If you expect top entertainment, even when you are not intending to show up,

If you want to meet the friendliest and most professional staff you have ever experienced,

If you don't accept any other state of the ship than 'top-condition',

If you want to use WIFI hotspots in the ports in stead of the ship's communication facilities,

If you etc. etc. etc. ..........

Why would a cruiseline not be allowed to adjust one minor topic in the on board policies, simply in order to get some kind of compensation for all your constantly increasing demands?

BTW: I have no other relationship with HAL than as a guest (6 x HAL, 2 x Celebrity).

i guess, laurekauf, where you stay and what your expectations are makes the difference. i have friends in manhattan, and we have met them on cruises prior. also,we don't have to take lux transit everywhere. a bus is fine. we do not have to have the 'best seats in the house' and are perfectly fine with discounted matinee tickets. what one seeks, one will find, even in manhattan. even a broadway or met level performance in new york is an experience far beyond anything . . . well, elsewhere.

and light years ahead of anything on HAL.

I stayed at a Sheraton in NYC so certainly not fancy. I took cabs because I was afraid of getting lost. I tried to find reasonable places to eat......but that was not easy. I can tell you that my trip was not cheap. Of course if you have friends, it's going to be cheaper.

I'm still waiting for a response from HAL on a car service they hired in NYC. The guy dumped me off in the wrong wing of the airport and complained I had 2 suitcases. It appeared that there was no way for me to get to the other wing so I was freaked out. That was April of 2012 and I'm still waiting for a response...........

hi, laurekauff; didn't mean to put down calgary; i hear the annual rodeo and steer roundup is fantastic. and i, seriously, would like to see it. do you go there? and you have a great hockey team, though i don't know much or care much about hockey, coming from the south. i just made a point, that's all.

I haven't been to the stampede in 2 years. This year I didn't go because I am recovering from knee surgery. I'm amazed that they pulled it off this year due to the historical flooding that Calgary suffered.

Yes or you must now buy a case to have a special order. Disgusting.
How about buying the case, giving some away, and having a "goodbye party" for your Roll Call with anything left over at the end of the cruise? :D

I actually pulled up other cruise lines to see what else was out there. While the wine policy on Celebrity is the same, I can sail on a lovely ship for 14 nights instead of 11, similar ports, similar room, for about the same price.

It looks lovely. I would not have really "gone shopping" for other options had it not been for their weekend proclamations.

Now I don't know what to do!

WELL guess what???? you're not the only one............. I just wrote to my TA and told them to cancel our Noordam 21 day trip and we are seriously considering the Celebrity Eclipse even if it is for 14 days........... our travelling companions are going to be doing the same thing..... Now to figure out how to delete that sailing from my list...

Archived