Poll Do you get Cruise Insurance?

Do you get Cruise insurance?  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get Cruise insurance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Guest maddycat

We always buy travel insurance. We consider it to be part of the price of the cruise. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

As I indicated on another thread, at your age you could purchase a basic package policy with $1000 trip cancellation, medical, evacuation, flight delay, lost baggage, etc for about $45. That's what I do. I self insure the trip cost but would not consider self insuring medical, evacuation etc. Just my opinion.

I haven't gotten the price quite that low. I've been around $60 per $1,000. So if the cruise is $7,500, that's about $450-500. At $45, it would still run about $330-$350 per cruise. Not a huge number, but I'm confident in where I stand.

I only bought it when my GF's father and grandmother were ill.

We are similar. If there is some forseeable reason (like an elderly or infirm relative) that we may need to cancel or if we are sailing without our DS and an emergency at home would require the trip to be interrupted then yes, we buy cancellation/interruption insurance. Otherwise, we find the (small) risk of having to take a loss acceptable.

Now medical insurance is another matter altogether...we never travel outside Canada without full treatment and evacuation coverage. It would be impossible for us to absorb 10's of 1,000's of dollars in expenses (or maybe even more).

BTW, if we're buying cancellation/interruption insurance we usually package it up with the medical coverage.

We are similar. If there is some forseeable reason (like an elderly or infirm relative) that we may need to cancel or if we are sailing without our DS and an emergency at home would require the trip to be interrupted then yes, we buy cancellation/interruption insurance. Otherwise, we find the (small) risk of having to take a loss acceptable.

Now medical insurance is another matter altogether...we never travel outside Canada without full treatment and evacuation coverage. It would be impossible for us to absorb 10's of 1,000's of dollars in expenses (or maybe even more).

BTW, if we're buying cancellation/interruption insurance we usually package it up with the medical coverage.

Note that you would have to purchase travel insurance when you book the cruise or other travel in order to get coverage for preexisting medical conditions. You would also have to cover the entire nonrefundable cost of the vacation. Unless things are different in Canada.

Just a few comments not trying to force my opinion on anyone. Definitely agree wit evac insurance. Does your medical insurance really cover you in French Polynesia? Do you think doctors / hospitals there would accept your insurance. I understand that your insurance would eventually pay, but what do you do it you have a medical emergency in a foreign country. Insurance does not have to be expensive if you do not want full cancellation cover age. You can just purchase a $1000 policy and still get full medical, evacuation, flight delay, baggage coverage. Cost for your trip probably would have been closer to $200 (not sure of your ages).

I think that, in order to be covered for anything, you have to disclose the full amount you have paid for your trip. Otherwise the insurance company could claim that you have committed fraud and refuse to pay for anything under the policy. When you go to insuremytrip.com, it asks for the cost of your trip, not how much coverage you want. I may be mistaken, but insurance companies would prefer not to pay, so would look for any reason not to.

We sometimes buy it. We do have medical coverage worldwide and if it means being out of pocket for awhile, so be it. (I think you are correct that the foreign hospitals would insist on direct payment). We self-insure most of our shorter trips and save the insurance for the big trips far away from home (an example being our upcoming trip to the Galapagos Islands).

If we get to the point where we lose worldwide coverage, we will be more likely to buy insurance on each trip we take that will be outside of the US for more than a day or two, but for now we are good with our choice.

I think that, in order to be covered for anything, you have to disclose the full amount you have paid for your trip. Otherwise the insurance company could claim that you have committed fraud and refuse to pay for anything under the policy. When you go to insuremytrip.com, it asks for the cost of your trip, not how much coverage you want. I may be mistaken, but insurance companies would prefer not to pay, so would look for any reason not to.

You can purchase any amount of insurance and still get all the other coverages. I am not making this up. Call the travel insurance company and check it out if you do not believe me.

You can purchase any amount of insurance and still get all the other coverages. I am not making this up. Call the travel insurance company and check it out if you do not believe me.

I'm sure you can purchase it. My concern would be that the company wouldn't pay on the medical or other coverage if you didn't disclose the full amount of the trip. Have you filed a claim? If it works, brilliant and something for some people to consider.

The strategy, if successful, wouldn't work for us because we would be more concerned with cancellation than the other coverages - we have a host of reasons for which we might cancel that wouldn't be covered without an additional rider - a gravely ill pet, work issues, etc. When we add "cancel for any reason" coverage to an independent policy, it takes the cost well over what we pay through the cruise line. I have yet to find an independent policy that works for us, but of course your results may vary.

Do you think doctors / hospitals there would accept your insurance. I understand that your insurance would eventually pay, but what do you do it you have a medical emergency in a foreign country.

Giorgi, I am thinking that wherever you find yourself, you'll have to front the medical costs and seek reimbursement later. Many countries have socialized medecine, and the only insurance they'll "accept" i.e. seek direct payment from, is their country's national health system. Do you have knowledge of global insurance companies that will coordinate direct payment to a foreign hospital?

I'm sure you can purchase it. My concern would be that the company wouldn't pay on the medical or other coverage if you didn't disclose the full amount of the trip. Have you filed a claim? If it works, brilliant and something for some people to consider.

The strategy, if successful, wouldn't work for us because we would be more concerned with cancellation than the other coverages - we have a host of reasons for which we might cancel that wouldn't be covered without an additional rider - a gravely ill pet, work issues, etc. When we add "cancel for any reason" coverage to an independent policy, it takes the cost well over what we pay through the cruise line. I have yet to find an independent policy that works for us, but of course your results may vary.

When I said you can purchase less coverage I meant that this is OK with the insurance company and they will pay on other coverages. I have checked this with the insurance companies. As I said, you can do the same if you don't believe me. Since you are primarily interested in cancellation coverage, it is really a moot point. I believe RCL provide a 75% future cruise credit for cancellation other than those specified which are not extensive and do not include a gravely ill pet or work issues. Independent policies have much more extensive cancel for any reason coverage and substantially higher limits on other coverages. You really do get what you pay for with cruise insurance and you need to read the policies to understand what is covered and what is not covered.

Yes, and as others have said, you hope you don't need it but it's there if you do.

I sit here today saying this has just happened to us. Six months ago, you couldn't have told me I would be in this situation, health-wise, but I am. No one wants to get sick and have to cancel a cruise, airfare, and hotels. We had paid for everything except the final cruise payment. And then it hit... the doctor's news that you never want to hear.... and we had to submit a claim. Thankfully, we got every single penny back but it wasn't without a few tense moments. Let's be honest: they are looking for loopholes not to pay out, but thankfully we had receipts and credit card statements and physicians' statements.

We are hoping to go to Russia next year... I hear 31st anniversary cruises are "in". ;):)

In the distant past I would only purchase it if we were flying to the port in the winter. On one cruise my wife got sick (just a bad bronkial cold) She went to the sick bay on the ship, they gave her a nebulizer treatment. It worked great and the next day she felt much better.

At the end of the cruise I saw the seapass charges it was close to $800 for the visit. My health insurance would not cover it because a ship is considered out of the U.S.A.

After that incident I have bought TI for all cruises. A year and a half ago my mother-in-law. Had a minor heart attack on the Allure. We had to get off the ship in St Thomas due to the hospital there admitting her. The people at guest services said we could not do that, and if we did we would lose our cruise and be charged for leaving the ship in a different American port. And that our insurance would only cover her no one else.(they were 100% wrong). We got off the ship. The port agent set us up in a hotel, that the insurance woul;d accept. My mother-in-law was in the hospital there for 2 days then medivac'd home to Savannah. In a Leer Jet the cost was close to $30,000 covered by the trip insurance. The fact that St Thomas is a US territory complicated the matter. She is on medicare with an advantage plan. So hospital charges were not covered by the TI.

If it would have been in a foreign country. The TI would have covered the hospital stay also.

All total It cost us a few hunderd extra for things not covered. But it was a bargain compared to the alternative.

There would have been no way we could have paid for the medivac.

We also had a recent cruise that I forgot a suitcase in the terminal when we picked up our luggage. I realized it when we got off the shuttle to our car. I went right back but had to wait till the ship was completely emptied of passengers. And when I was allowed in it was no where in site. That bag had the clothes I was going to wear the next day (we were staying in Fl for another day) I was told to go buy what I needed and I would be reimbursed. I went to Walmart and bought a minimum, not quite trusting them. They paid for what I bought even though my suitcase arrived at my house the day after we got home.

Giorgi, I am thinking that wherever you find yourself, you'll have to front the medical costs and seek reimbursement later. Many countries have socialized medecine, and the only insurance they'll "accept" i.e. seek direct payment from, is their country's national health system. Do you have knowledge of global insurance companies that will coordinate direct payment to a foreign hospital?

My understanding is that the travel insurance company will guarantee larger payments to the medical providers. My guess is you would pay doctor fees or smaller medical costs yourself and get reimbursed later. Most travel insurance is secondary insurance and they will only pay for costs not paid or reimbursed by your primary insurance. The insurance company would definitely make all arrangements and cover all costs for medical evacuation or, god forbid, repatriation of remains. I think one of the advantages of medical coverage is having someone to represent you in a foreign country who can direct you to approved doctors / hospitals. I had someone recently tell me that they had a medical emergency in a European country and received complete medical care thru the national health care system without any upfront payments (nothing to do with travel insurance).

In the distant past I would only purchase it if we were flying to the port in the winter. On one cruise my wife got sick (just a bad bronkial cold) She went to the sick bay on the ship, they gave her a nebulizer treatment. It worked great and the next day she felt much better.

At the end of the cruise I saw the seapass charges it was close to $800 for the visit. My health insurance would not cover it because a ship is considered out of the U.S.A.

After that incident I have bought TI for all cruises. A year and a half ago my mother-in-law. Had a minor heart attack on the Allure. We had to get off the ship in St Thomas due to the hospital there admitting her. The people at guest services said we could not do that, and if we did we would lose our cruise and be charged for leaving the ship in a different American port. And that our insurance would only cover her no one else.(they were 100% wrong). We got off the ship. The port agent set us up in a hotel, that the insurance woul;d accept. My mother-in-law was in the hospital there for 2 days then medivac'd home to Savannah. In a Leer Jet the cost was close to $30,000 covered by the trip insurance. The fact that St Thomas is a US territory complicated the matter. She is on medicare with an advantage plan. So hospital charges were not covered by the TI.

If it would have been in a foreign country. The TI would have covered the hospital stay also.

All total It cost us a few hunderd extra for things not covered. But it was a bargain compared to the alternative.

There would have been no way we could have paid for the medivac.

We also had a recent cruise that I forgot a suitcase in the terminal when we picked up our luggage. I realized it when we got off the shuttle to our car. I went right back but had to wait till the ship was completely emptied of passengers. And when I was allowed in it was no where in site. That bag had the clothes I was going to wear the next day (we were staying in Fl for another day) I was told to go buy what I needed and I would be reimbursed. I went to Walmart and bought a minimum, not quite trusting them. They paid for what I bought even though my suitcase arrived at my house the day after we got home.

My Medicare Advantage Plan provides 100% coverage for travel outside the US. I was just wondering why you say that the TI would have to cover hospital charges outside the US. I agree that would be true for someone with just Medicare coverage.

I separate out medical / evacuation / cruise cancellation / lost baggage as different issues. When I have medical insurance that will cover me out of the country, then I don't buy a separate policy for that. I always make sure I have evacuation: the potential loss of $20k - 50K is not, to me, worth the risk for the very small cost of evacuation only insurance.

As far as cruise cancellation / lost luggage, etc, I almost never buy that, except for a very expensive trip. The calculation I do is to figure out what my average loss would be if I had to cancel a cruise at the last minute (with zero refund), then look at the cost of cancellation insurance. the question becomes, how many times would I have to use the cancellation insurance to break even -- and for me that works out to about 1 cancellation in every 10 trips. I look at my history, and I am already ahead by quite a bit. So, for me, it makes sense to self-insure for cancellation.

Now, in the case of a very expensive trip (Galapagos, for example), for me, cruise cancellation insurance would make sense, I suspect.

Paying for hotels unused: my loss would normally be limited to the first night's stay, or less, as most hotels require a 24 hour cancellation. Not a big risk, and one I can cover myself.

Medical and evac are the big risks: low chance of needing, but potentially very high cost if needed. So, for those, I always make sure I am covered.

Mary

We always buy full TI. I've called and asked insuremytrip before every purchase to ask if I really needed to 'add in' the cost of my SWA fare since it's cancellable but each time I received the same answer...all components of the trip that are prepaid must be considered regardless of the cancellation policy.:confused: Interestingly enough, for time share owners, they are excluded and don't have to be factored in, although I could purchase a different policy to replace that loss (which I don't).

I've had to utilize the medical portion of our policies twice for innocuous incidents (a sand flea bite on beach in Roatan and a 'failed manicure', wherein both became infected while onboard:confused:...both time the ships' drs told me not uncommon since the way germs multiple on cruiseships). The first issue racked up over $1K in charges and the second close to $500. We had to pay OOP while onboard (via CC) but were happy to receive reimbursement upon filing the claims.

Never have. Won't now. Maybe someday if I'm dealing with more health issues.

I consider myself self-insured. The "worst case scenario" $50,000 I'm "risking" pays out several hundred dollars every time I travel in the insurance payment I don't make for the insurance I don't buy. I travel about every two months, some cruising, some land based. Insurance would run about $450-500 per trip. That's a return of $2,700-$3,000 a year. I like my current risk profile, so I consider not buying, and self insuring to be a very worthwhile investment.

I think self-insurance for a couple or a single is a reasonable bet: it's all just a matter of how much you want to risk. When I travel with 5 people, there is more at stake. I don't usually pay nearly 450-500 for even 5 people when I cruise.

And up until recently, I usually didn't take the insurance. We did on our 2008 Med cruise because of the expense.

We always buy full TI. I've called and asked insuremytrip before every purchase to ask if I really needed to 'add in' the cost of my SWA fare since it's cancellable but each time I received the same answer...all components of the trip that are prepaid must be considered regardless of the cancellation policy.:confused: Interestingly enough, for time share owners, they are excluded and don't have to be factored in, although I could purchase a different policy to replace that loss (which I don't).

I assume you are referring to coverage for preexisting conditions when you say that all components of trip that are prepaid must be included, but even that does not agree with requirements specified in the cruise policy below for Alianz. Note that they only require you to insure nonrefundable costs. However, I have checked with several insurance companies in the past and attended seminars on travel insurance and they always specify that airfare is considered nonrefundable. Not sure how that is handled if you have a refundable ticket since I could never afford one.

Alianz Existing medical condition coverage

If your plan includes this coverage, you, a traveling companion or family member can have an existing medical condition and you will still be eligible for all coverage and assistance services, as long as:

 you purchased your plan within 14 days of making your first trip payment or first trip deposit.

 you purchased trip cancellation coverage that covers the full cost of all your non- refundable trip arrangements

 you were a U.S. resident and medically able to travel on the day you purchased the plan

 the total cost of your trip is $10,000 per person or less, and

 all other stated terms and conditions are met.

Interesting. I suppose that since the insurance covers you for your entire time in transit, before and after, that they would want all components to be covered regardless of refundability.

My Medicare Advantage Plan provides 100% coverage for travel outside the US. I was just wondering why you say that the TI would have to cover hospital charges outside the US. I agree that would be true for someone with just Medicare coverage.

What medicare advantage plans cover care outside the US? My mother-in-law has Coventry and it does not.

I have GHI from my previous employer as a secondary, and it does not cover anything outside to USA.

Archived