Military Mess Dress?

Wifflebat

A question for those who have taken a recent cruise.

On formal nights were there military wearing mess dress, mini-medals w/tux or ribbons on suits? Very many?

I will for sure wear my mess dress on the Princess Veterans Cruise in November but wondering if I should on our 11-day cruise to Hawaii in Sep/Oct. or stick with the tux option.

We have seen all kinds of Military Dress Uniforms on our various cruises (more then 3 years of cruising) from both the US and Europe. As a Vietnam Vet (the forgotten ones) I always make it my practice to thank those guys (have never seen a female wearing a uniform aboard a cruise) for their service and complement them for wearing the uniform.

Hank

Since there aren't very many people who have earned the honor of wearing Mess Dress, I wouldn't say there are a lot of uniforms on the ships. There are usually one or two. Sometimes we even see non-US service personnel.

For the past several cruises we have been privileged to be dining with someone so attired. I will say he garnered a lot of attention; most people thanked him for his service.

You earned every one of those medals. Wear them with pride & thank you for your service. But you won't "fly under the radar".

Since there aren't very many people who have earned the honor of wearing Mess Dress, I wouldn't say there are a lot of uniforms on the ships. There are usually one or two. Sometimes we even see non-US service personnel.

For the past several cruises we have been privileged to be dining with someone so attired. I will say he garnered a lot of attention; most people thanked him for his service.

You earned every one of those medals. Wear them with pride & thank you for your service. But you won't "fly under the radar".

Funny you should mention radar - that's what I worked on for 20 yrs all over the world.

Yes, definitely wear your military uniform!

On our most recent Mediterranean cruise, a man at our table was in the Canadian military. One formal night he wore a regular uniform and the next formal night he wore a different uniform with a kilt.

The truth is that there are many of us who are qualified to wear our old (or current) military uniforms but many of us (including moi) could never fit in the old uniform :). So when I see some of these old soldiers and sailors put on their uniforms, not only do I thank them for their service....but I am jealous as hell that they can get the darn thing on!

As to kilts....DW thinks they are one of the neatest outfits on any ship. But, the airline luggage and weight limits have really put a crimp into the Kilt business as the complete outfit has a lot of weight.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We've seen many mess dress uniforms on formal nighs.

Wear it proudly.

Years ago, we had a friend graduating West Point and DH gave him his dress blues. This young man (at the time) ultimately made grade as full colonel and wore those blues for years. That made us very proud. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We have seen all kinds of Military Dress Uniforms on our various cruises (more then 3 years of cruising) from both the US and Europe. As a Vietnam Vet (the forgotten ones) I always make it my practice to thank those guys (have never seen a female wearing a uniform aboard a cruise) for their service and complement them for wearing the uniform.

Hank

DH is also a Vietnam Vet and he's still waiting for that 'thanks from a grateful nation'. I suspect we'll be long dead and never hear it. But I, too, go out of my way to provide that thanks to those who wear the uniform today. I know how much that means.

If I see a solider, sailor, airman, marine wearing dress uniform on formal night, he will get our thanks and admiration.

Edited by sail7seas

On formal nights were there military wearing mess dress, mini-medals w/tux or ribbons on suits? Very many?

I will for sure wear my mess dress on the Princess Veterans Cruise in November but wondering if I should on our 11-day cruise to Hawaii in Sep/Oct. or stick with the tux option.

Yes, wear it and wear it proud.

My SO wore his on a cruise for formal night. We were recognized the rest of the cruise. Really made him proud. He's 22 years retired Air Force.

The next night was my 40th B-Day and he proposed on stage. What an outpouring of gratitude we received.

Unfortunately he can no longer fit into his Mess Dress.

It's either my cookin or to many cruises.:p

I love seeing Military in uniform.

Happy Cruising.

And Thank You for your service.;)

Thanks for your input and comments.

I like 'Hlitner' I could never fit in my last active duty uniforms of 33 years ago; almost perhaps but not close enough. Broke down and bought a new mess dress that looks and fits well enough that I should not degrade the AF image . . . . beyond repair at least.

We truly miss the service life and the great friends we've made and still know in so many places. As we will be cruising alone without knowing anyone I hope wearing the uniform will encourage some of my brothers-in-arms (and sisters as well) to visit awhile and share the comradeship unique to those who have served regardless of branch or rank.

As well, perhaps others will be reminded that our young active duty troops need support, understanding and THANKS!

Again, thanks to you all for the comments!

Yes, wear it and wear it proud.

My SO wore his on a cruise for formal night. We were recognized the rest of the cruise. Really made him proud. He's 22 years retired Air Force.

The next night was my 40th B-Day and he proposed on stage. What an outpouring of gratitude we received.

Unfortunately he can no longer fit into his Mess Dress.

It's either my cookin or to many cruises.:p

I love seeing Military in uniform.

Happy Cruising.

And Thank You for your service.;)

From northern Michigan huh!

Just returned from an Air Force reunion held in Sault Ste Marie! We had a very beautiful drive up the western shore of the lake.

Best to you - 'Keep the shiny side up & the pointy end forward'

Michael

I've seen RCMP officers wearing their Red Mess dress on a cruise for formal night . This isn't the red serge that you see on RCMP parades. It's tuxedo where the jacket is made from a red serge like material and they wear all their medals on the front as well.

yeap. DH wears his every cruise and this year we are adding on his Kilt for the second formal night.

our last cruise there were several WW2 through Viet Nam era gentlemen in tuxes with minis as well as a couple of Marines in their Dress uniform who looked like they just came back from the sandbox. the ship( Royal's Enchantment of the Seas) also had a Veteran's appreciation get together. it was started by one of the crew who is himself former US Navy. I know he has left EN, but I had heard that it was being done on other ships sporadically now as well.

true.

first cruise: Little boy about ten in the Specialty restaurant asked if he was the ship's captain. kid was totally in awe.

Same cruise about an hour later: crew member stops and asks if he is a new member of the crew( shoulda said yes, I might have gotten the employee discount on what I was buying heheheh)

same cruise( and pretty much at least once on all subsequent cruises: anonymous donor pays for his drink in one of the lounges.

It if fits, wear it!

Since Dad died I've often broken into tears by the sight of an older person in mess dress, but it's happy tears. Many fine memories.

We shared a table with a British Navy officer who came on board with 3 different uniforms. Summer whites, admiralty blue and mess dress. He wore white when the ship's officers did so.

Everything fit perfectly and looked grand. His bit of advice to others was not to pack uniforms in checked baggage as they might go missing.

Wore mess dress on a couple of cruises, once I was the only one on formal night, another time there were at least a dozen. On both occasions I had more drinks bought for me than I could responsibly consume. Sadly, age of gear ( as well as "change" of shape) makes old uniform no longer appropriate for formal nights - which themselves are increasingly not observed. Given rarity of occasions, cost of new gear, and hassle of transporting, I doubt I will replace.

At the risk of drawing flames, I have to say that my dress blues and other uniforms are stored in a footlocker, and although I view them occasionally in nostalgia, I have never and would never have worn them at a civilian function. I also cringe at the sight of military men traveling in fatigues, as it was not allowed during my service (Viet Nam era).

Seeing the reports of special attention and free drinks just causes me to wonder at the motivation. To each his/her own, but know that there will be many, if not most of the American men of a certain age on board who are also fully entitled to wear the uniform, but don't, and it's not for lack of patriotism.

At the risk of drawing flames, I have to say that my dress blues and other uniforms are stored in a footlocker, and although I view them occasionally in nostalgia, I have never and would never have worn them at a civilian function. I also cringe at the sight of military men traveling in fatigues, as it was not allowed during my service (Viet Nam era).

Seeing the reports of special attention and free drinks just causes me to wonder at the motivation. To each his/her own, but know that there will be many, if not most of the American men of a certain age on board who are also fully entitled to wear the uniform, but don't, and it's not for lack of patriotism.

ACUs and the other branches equivalent are still not authorized for off base use in most cases. there are still a few exceptions.

remember when I said anonymous? means we had not idea somebody paid for his drink until we went to close out our tab. As in we expected to pay for them ourselves. And I sure as hell resent the implication that it may be a primary or only reason he wears it.

nobody is accusing anyone of lack of patriotism because they aren't wearing a uniform to formal night. sheesh.

Actually, wearing of uniform by former military is not as generally appropriate as you indicate. RETIRED service members are entitled to wear dress uniform to formal occasions. Honorably discharged former service members, who served in time of war, are entitled to wear the uniform at military occasions - such as military funerals, parades on national holidays, etc.

I also cringe at the sight of military men traveling in fatigues, as it was not allowed during my service (Viet Nam era).

Seeing the reports of special attention and free drinks just causes me to wonder at the motivation.

No disrespect intended toward your having a different opinion but I firmly believe you are totally incorrect in your suggestion of motivation. I accept you position as honest input, I hope you will do likewise with mine.

Today official travel in BDU's, ACU's, etc is generally authorized . . . unlike in our day. Most duty uniforms one sees on active bases/posts these days are the 'combat' uniforms and show a solidarity with those at the 'point-of-the-spear' as they say. Things do change!

As a Nam vet you can surely recall the general attitude towards the military all too often displayed by the public during that period! Today things are thankfully much different, in large part because most Vietnam vets and a much more caring citizenry can separate government policy from the warrior.

If a personal interaction with an active duty member or veteran in uniform on a cruise through a dinner conversation, hand shake, approving nod or a wink from a pretty lady might encourage that person to later say "Thanks" on the way home from the cruise when they see a young GI in the airport . . . then I'm quite pleased to perhaps have helped that happen. It would have been so nice if that had happened when we came home.

Spending several thousands of dollars on airfare, cruise, tours plus hundreds more for mess dress, medals, etc. and then lugging it along for a couple of free drinks! I think NOT! Not for me and I would suggest not for others.

And thank you for your service!

Actually, wearing of uniform by former military is not as generally appropriate as you indicate. RETIRED service members are entitled to wear dress uniform to formal occasions. Honorably discharged former service members, who served in time of war, are entitled to wear the uniform at military occasions - such as military funerals, parades on national holidays, etc.

Seeing war was never officially declared with Vietnam, does the "Honorably discharged former service members who served in time of war" apply to Vietnam vets? I'm not being a wise guy..... I am truly interested in the response.

Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas