Hopefully 'Live' from Ocean Princess. 6-14 August

cinnamon

I am going to attempt a 'Live From' thread. It will be my first try but I have always loved reading them and travelling vicariously with others so would like to share my experiences.

We leave tomorrow on an 8 night cruise around the UK on Ocean Princess. It will be my first as Platinum level with 250 free internet minutes. As we will be in our home country for some of the ports I will also be able to use 3G on my iPhone in addition to some Wifi in cafes whilst ashore.

I will probably not attempt to post any photos, it will be writing only.

A little background. We are an English couple, have taken over 23 cruises (have lost count), mostly on RCCL and Celebrity. Earlier this year we did an Eastbound Transatlantic on Azamara Quest and fell in love with the size of ship. Having looked out for deals we booked this cruise a month or so ago. We usually prefer balcony cabins but have settled on an Outside for this 'extra' cruise. We will not be taking any ship's excursions, partly as we prefer to be independent and mostly for budget reasons.

I will post again tomorrow morning before we leave home. It is around a 2 hour drive to Dover and the car park is available to us from 12 noon.

Corinne

I am going to attempt a 'Live From' thread. It will be my first try but I have always loved reading them and travelling vicariously with others so would like to share my experiences.

We leave tomorrow on an 8 night cruise around the UK on Ocean Princess. It will be my first as Platinum level with 250 free internet minutes. As we will be in our home country for some of the ports I will also be able to use 3G on my iPhone in addition to some Wifi in cafes whilst ashore.

A little background. We are an English couple, have taken over 23 cruises (have lost count), mostly on RCCL and Celebrity. Earlier this year we did an Eastbound Transatlantic on Azamara Quest and fell in love with the size of ship. Having looked out for deals we booked this cruise a month or so ago. We usually prefer balcony cabins but have settled on an Outside for this 'extra' cruise. We will not be taking any ship's excursions, partly as we prefer to be independent and mostly for budget reasons.

I will post again tomorrow morning before we leave home. It is around a 2 hour drive to Dover and the car park is available to us from 12 noon.

Corinne

Thanks for doing the live thread! Since you are English I am looking forward to your perspective. I think all of the other "Live Reports" were all from Americans and on the Caribbean Princess. I am from the US so that is not a slight. I am also interested in your thoughts on the Ocean Princess vs Azamara Quest. I am a fan of the smaller Oceania ships but I am not expecting the Ocean Princess to be in the same category. Love the small ship size and low passenger count. We sail on the "O" British Isles itinerary later this month. Enjoy your voyage!

Thanks for the positive responses I have received. We'll be off in a couple of hours. Several of us from the Roll Call have agreed to have an unofficial Meet at the aft bar near the Horizon Court at Sailaway. I aim to post again after that and before dinner.

Corinne

Thanks for the positive responses I have received. We'll be off in a couple of hours. Several of us from the Roll Call have agreed to have an unofficial Meet at the aft bar near the Horizon Court at Sailaway. I aim to post again after that and before dinner.

Corinne

Corinne

Wishing you a great voyage. I have been on one cruise from Dover. It was beautiful sailing past those white cliffs with a setting sun. Thanks for doing a "live from". I recently did one and have a new appreciation for those who do them regularly. You are using your Internet minutes and time to bring us along. Thank you.

I am booked on the Ocean in 2015. Let me know if you miss anything from the grand class ships.

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Happily settled onboard. We arrived at the port a little before 12 noon, parked, waited no time for check-in, 5 minutes for security and weed in our cabin to drop off our carry-ons by 12.15.

Lunch is available in the dining room till 1.30. What a classy way to start the cruise. Only 7 people were in there, including us. We both had Shrimp with avocado, Salmon in a lemon butter sauce with a small serving of new potatoes and lovely fresh vegetables. We also both indulged in Nutella ice cream for dessert.

We have met our room steward but do not have luggage yet.

To answer a question, there are no kettles in the cabin.

There are some tables for two in the dining room, near the entrance, but they are mostly close to one another.

Now to explore.

Great to hear that you boarded so quickly and could drop off the carryons in the Cabin shortly after noon time. We plan to do the same. Looking forward to your report on the dining on the ship. The lunch sounded very good!

Luggage delivered and all unpacked. I have all my stamps for the Treasure Hunt prize drawing and now just chilling before Muster Drill at 4.00 pm.

It was very warm on the back deck. I managed the photo of that with iPhone but I don't think the Dover Castle one worked. I will try more photos if I can but technology is not my forte. ImageUploadedByForums1375799809.749491.jpg.6d94700031769fb55de0adfaea33aa98.jpg

Sat out on the back deck enjoying our first Cappuccinos with the Coffee card.

Drooling. Sitting on the deck for sailaway out of Dover. Done it once on another cruise line, it was beautiful.

We're on the OP in April. It will be our first trip on the small ships and we are very excited.

Thank you for doing the live thread. Especially enjoy the photos.

A little background. We are an English couple, have taken over 23 cruises (have lost count), mostly on RCCL and Celebrity. Earlier this year we did an Eastbound Transatlantic on Azamara Quest and fell in love with the size of ship. Having looked out for deals we booked this cruise a month or so ago. We usually prefer balcony cabins but have settled on an Outside for this 'extra' cruise. We will not be taking any ship's excursions, partly as we prefer to be independent and mostly for budget rea

Corinne

Have a wonderful trip. Let us know what you like and dislike about the smaller ships. Oceania also has 3 ships of that class.

Archived