No Cozumel Bat Hop :(...what else?

crooksy532

And apparently I've had too many drinks tonight because it's supposed to say "BAR" hop. Oh goodness.

My husband and I are headed to Cozumel for the 5th time. We always do the Cozumel Bar Hop but unfortunately could not convince anyone in our roll call to go with us. The roll call was a little dead and not many people have posted.

We are young (28 and 29) and loved our drinking tour of the other side of the island. The sites were gorgeous and the bars were awesome.

Since we can't do the bar crawl does anyone have any suggestions for us? We don't want to go somewhere where there will be a ton of kids or people in general. We're both outgoing, however, I'm a teacher so I'm trying to let my vacation time be vacation. lol. At least at the ports. I'd love a swim up bar or at least something a little more than just a beach. Good company. Good food?? Good drinks!!

Any suggestions??

Edited by crooksy532
Misspelling

Sounds like you would be a good fit for the AI side of Mr. Sanchos - swim up bar, nice beach, lively crowd, etc. Good luck! :)

I'll second Mr. Sanchos....

Nachi Cocum sounds like it'll be a little to quiet for your tastes...

Bill

If Mr Sanchos AI, or any AI for that matter, doesn't excite you, look into the "hiring a driver for the day" thread here and then let the driver take you around to all the bar hop places as well as other where you may not have stopped before or the BH itinerary no longer goes there. And end up at one of the two Wet Wendy's places. The newer one on the beach near Margaritaville is suppose to be very nice. I forget its name off the top. This will be a bit more expensive than the BH but perhaps you can convince another couple to join you and help reduce the driver expenses.

Too bad we r not going on the same cruise again or we would definitely go with you! Next time we go (FOS in January) we will hit the bar hop - loved it. Thanks for convincing us to go last July. Don't give up on your roll call people yet!

-Cathy

Is there a minimum amount of people, for them to stop and pick up a group at the pier?

Just because there isn't anybody intrested in a dead roll call, doesn't mean there isn't somebody else onboard booked....

Just curious how the bar hop works...

Bill

Is there a minimum amount of people, for them to stop and pick up a group at the pier?

Just because there isn't anybody intrested in a dead roll call, doesn't mean there isn't somebody else onboard booked....

Just curious how the bar hop works...

Bill

Yes the FAQ section of each of their tours states a minimum of 6 people for the tour to run.

They do not usually pick up at the piers but at a central location in town. They do drop off at the piers on the return.

The tour is not only for cruise ship visitors - we have done it while taking a land vacation in Cozumel and some people even join in that are staying on the mainland.

Yes the FAQ section of each of their tours states a minimum of 6 people for the tour to run.

They do not usually pick up at the piers but at a central location in town. They do drop off at the piers on the return.

The tour is not only for cruise ship visitors - we have done it while taking a land vacation in Cozumel and some people even join in that are staying on the mainland.

I can understand not running with less than six, with fuel costs in the Caribbean.

I just can't believe there is any day, with even one ship in port, that they don't have at least six people wanting to go.

Bill

I can understand not running with less than six, with fuel costs in the Caribbean.

I just can't believe there is any day, with even one ship in port, that they don't have at least six people wanting to go.

Bill

There are many cruisers who would not consider an independent tour and many, many people who have never made it to the east side. Also families with children are unable to do the hop.

And apparently I've had too many drinks tonight because it's supposed to say "BAR" hop. Oh goodness.

My husband and I are headed to Cozumel for the 5th time. We always do the Cozumel Bar Hop but unfortunately could not convince anyone in our roll call to go with us. The roll call was a little dead and not many people have posted.

We are young (28 and 29) and loved our drinking tour of the other side of the island. The sites were gorgeous and the bars were awesome.

Since we can't do the bar crawl does anyone have any suggestions for us? We don't want to go somewhere where there will be a ton of kids or people in general. We're both outgoing, however, I'm a teacher so I'm trying to let my vacation time be vacation. lol. At least at the ports. I'd love a swim up bar or at least something a little more than just a beach. Good company. Good food?? Good drinks!!

Any suggestions??

From reading these boards, it was my understanding that the bar hop accepts reservations from cruisers from various ships, and then schedules the time for the hop based on who is going from which ship. I believe they let you know the time about a week before sailing. I made a reservation for 2 for Feb 2014. I know there is a chance there will be no one else signed up and my hop could be cancelled, but with 5 ships in port that day, I am hoping it will be a go. You might email them and check the status for your date.

I agree, Sanchos has a nice swim up bar on the AI side of the beach. Our barman also talked about a No Name Bar, we saw pictures and it looks nice as well with swim up bar, pool, etc. But I guess it is more a crew-type of place?

I've done the Bar Hop 4 times and always had a blast! Check roll calls for other ships before giving up.

I didn't like Nachi at all. I know most everyone raves about it but I had lousy food and lousy service. There were several couples (we were all by the pool) who waited and waited and waited for any service. Bunch of loud 20 y/o's playing "knock him off your shoulders" in the pool for well over an hour. I left after only 2 hrs.

Paradise Beach and Mr. Sanchos get good reviews most of the time. Next time I'll try one of them if I don't do the Bar Hop.

And end up at one of the two Wet Wendy's places. The newer one on the beach near Margaritaville is suppose to be very nice. I forget its name off the top. This will be a bit more expensive than the BH but perhaps you can convince another couple to join you and help reduce the driver expenses.

The Thirsty Cougar? :D Same yummy drinks - chocolate peanut butter margarita is my fave!! It's on Melgar across from the water a block or two south of the main plaza. Tables are out on the sidewalk so you can people watch. great views of the sunsets.

• 6 months later...

I just got back from Cozumel, and thought I would share my experience. I had originally booked the Bar Hop, but even though I canvassed the other ships' roll calls, there weren't enough people and the hop was cancelled. So, then I booked the ship's Beach Hop excursion. It, too, was cancelled, due to lack of people.

So, we decided to take a chance on a cab. Not having set this up in advance, we just followed the signs to the taxi stand outside the secured area. We wanted to see the "other" side. We signed on for a 3 hour cab trip for $80. I told the dispatcher what we were interested in seeing in case the driver didn't know English that well. Our driver was Miguel, cab number 459, and he did a great job showing us around the island. He stopped wherever we wanted. We had a delicious fish plate lunch at Chen Rio. Near the end of our time, we decided we wanted to see the Punta Sur reserve ($8 per person). There is a lighthouse at the end of the road you can climb if you want (we didn't). It cost $20 extra for going over our time, but it was well worth it. So our day cost us $100 for the taxi, $16 to enter the preserve, plus tip and lunch, cheaper than the ship's excursion would have been for the 2 of us (and, I suspect, much more fun). I love the east side of the island. It was a great way to spend the day.

I just got back from Cozumel, and thought I would share my experience. I had originally booked the Bar Hop, but even though I canvassed the other ships' roll calls, there weren't enough people and the hop was cancelled. So, then I booked the ship's Beach Hop excursion. It, too, was cancelled, due to lack of people.

So, we decided to take a chance on a cab. Not having set this up in advance, we just followed the signs to the taxi stand outside the secured area. We wanted to see the "other" side. We signed on for a 3 hour cab trip for $80. I told the dispatcher what we were interested in seeing in case the driver didn't know English that well. Our driver was Miguel, cab number 459, and he did a great job showing us around the island. He stopped wherever we wanted. We had a delicious fish plate lunch at Chen Rio. Near the end of our time, we decided we wanted to see the Punta Sur reserve ($8 per person). There is a lighthouse at the end of the road you can climb if you want (we didn't). It cost $20 extra for going over our time, but it was well worth it. So our day cost us $100 for the taxi, $16 to enter the preserve, plus tip and lunch, cheaper than the ship's excursion would have been for the 2 of us (and, I suspect, much more fun). I love the east side of the island. It was a great way to spend the day.

We tried to book the bar hop and like you not enough people signed up. We decided to hire a driver and have our own bar hop. I will report back on how it goes. So excited can't wait to finally see the "other side". :)

We were just in Cozumel, staying there, not on a cruise, and did the Bar Hop. It was a great time. If you want to do it, like others have mentioned, contact them personally. There were no cruisers on our Bar Hop day. Everyone was staying on the island, and some were staying in Playa del Carmen.

Thirsty Cougar is a great place for unique margaritas. They come like an ice cream cone, well over the glass. Jalapeno cucumber is my fav, but it isn't blended, so it is a regular size. Their sister bar, Wet Wendy's is also a fun spot. That is down the street to the right, from the town square. Find Woody's, and go down the stret parallel from the shore.