Name Accuracy Question

Krunu15

This may be a stupid question, but I'd rather ask now than be surprised when we are boarding.

My Fiance and I are booked for a Carnival Cruise in the end of September, we booked Early Saver.

When we put his name down, we called him "Chris" and when we just did our online check-in, we realized that the name on his license, passport, and credit card is "Christopher".

We tried to change the name on the booking to "Christopher" but because we booked Early Saver, we are not allowed to change the name. Will we have any problems getting on the ship or is a shortened form of the same name not an issue?

It could be a huge issue---people have been refused boarding if names don't match---it's a cardinal rule of travel, even on airplanes. Your name on the reservation must exactly match the name on your ID/passport. Who told you that you can't change the name? It's not like you're changing passengers. You need to call the cruise line, tell them the problem, and have the name on the reservation changed to the correct spelling.

This may be a stupid question, but I'd rather ask now than be surprised when we are boarding.

My Fiance and I are booked for a Carnival Cruise in the end of September, we booked Early Saver.

When we put his name down, we called him "Chris" and when we just did our online check-in, we realized that the name on his license, passport, and credit card is "Christopher".

We tried to change the name on the booking to "Christopher" but because we booked Early Saver, we are not allowed to change the name. Will we have any problems getting on the ship or is a shortened form of the same name not an issue?

I don't think there will be a problem. You can easily contact Carnival reservations and let them know of the issue and see if they can change it, they should easily be able to handle it for you, this type of thing happens all the time.

Jonathan

Definitely call and explain the situation to the representative. Get the reps name (and maybe company ID and if possible have her e-mail you the correction). If you show up the day of the cruise and try to get it done, it might be a problem.

Thanks for the advice, I will call Carnival in the morning and hope they make an exception about their name change rule.

I believe the rule is in place to prevent people substituting one passenger for another. I hope they will not penalize us to add 6 letters to ensure the correct form of a name!

Lesson learned for me - just hope my mistake doesn't cost us...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Just got off the phone with Carnival and I lucked out with a nice customer service person. I explained what happened and she changed his name no questions asked and no charge. :)

Funnily enough, his name still won't match, as there is no room for the r at the end, but she has assured me that this will not be a problem at all.

As far as getting from Philly to Florida - we don't need to - the cruise leaves from Baltimore, so we'll be taking Amtrak.

Archived