Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Beautiful pix! I am so envious! We are still under mountains of snow here. I think this is the place spring forgot. :(

Sorry to our Canada friend/neighbor for celebrating spring too quickly. The below picture was just shot out of our family room window. We are due tonight be getting 1-3" of snow. Parts of Ohio will get up to 4". But, tomorrow it will be up to a temperature of 51F, sunny, etc. Wednesday will be a high of 67F here. Wild weather swings!!??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This picture was taken at 6:30 pm Monday night across our ravine. The snow is coming and falling fast!! So sad in being too quick to celebrate the arrival of spring in Ohio.:

Winter2A1_zpscj6qbslu.jpg

Lovely spring flower shots from Terry, then this very enticing looking pork - especially the crackling. If I had not just had my fruit and croissant I might feel able to inflict another poem on you!

I wonder where Sophia is nowadays; we have not heard from her for quite a while. I seem to think she was doing a spring SS cruise. Do let us know, Sophia.

As yesterday, we woke to a gorgeous blue sky, but sadly greying over now at 9 a.m. However, quite a few daffodils out in the garden, and the magnolia stellata buds not far off bursting.

LL

Hi MrsW

We spent four weeks in Sydney in your winter some years ago, and the weather was lovely - not too hot, but always sunny! We rented an apartment near McMahon's Point, overlooking the Opera House and Bridge, and one night had a fantastic fireworks display. Very happy memories of it all, including the ferry over to buy food at David Jones' basement. We have also visited Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth, but Sydney shone out for me.

I actually sat out in the sun at the weekend - OK long sleeves, but it was lovely.

Hello all ...

Lovely to see all the goings on and the variations in weather. We have a sunny one here although cold .....

Today I'm in her "Good Boy" books .... having been able to extend our January 2016 Singapore trip by a further week or so. So we'll be boarding limoland for Heathrow just after the New Years Vienna concert on January 1st 2106 for (at the moment) four weeks away from the cold and sleet and snow in our favourite suite in IC Singapore. Full Royal Ambassador privileges have been offered and accepted so that means all, laundry, mini bar, club lounge etc etc. And we're also off there again in a few weeks time to run amok for several weeks of walking and eating.

The usual offer of a free drink or three and some satay to any coolies who turn up prevails.

On the subject of satay'ish she has abandoned me for some shopping experiences today and left me here to my beer, wine and piri piri sticks. Like most blokes I'm no good at shopping but a bit better st piri piri and beer.

D8A5E420-78BC-43C3-AE8A-5787127D6FA7.jpg

I wonder where Sophia is nowadays; we have not heard from her for quite a while. I seem to think she was doing a spring SS cruise. Do let us know, Sophia.

LL

Hello LL......thank you for your kind thoughts....all is well here, it's been a pretty hectic start to the year but slowly trying to get back to normality and having some time to myself.

You have a good memory....I am indeed off on a voyage with SS in just two weeks time.....looking forward to some serious R&R and being waited on...☺️

Good to see the cooler cooking away still with the usual frivolity, food offerings, spring and snow pics and now some delightful verse...😉

Greetings to one and all

Sophia 😊

I hope that cold weather and snow is not descending from Canada. I will feel guilty for calling the winter gods down on you! :)

No blame will be given to Canada for last night's snow in Ohio. Plus, it's all gone now. Things have warmed up, it's sunny right now, etc. Like those kind of snow storms where the roads do not get covered and things just look pretty. That makes it fun and enjoyable.

Appreciate hearing from Sophia, plus more great food pictures, other varied weather updates from around the world, etc., etc. Keep up the good and interesting posts.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 175,004 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Yum Jeff that looks good!

We had rain, hail, sleet, snow and sunshine today (fortunately no wind) and I actually managed to get some weeding done in the garden but brrrrrrrrr it was cold.

Mary

Hellllooooo all of you coolers and non-rhymers....

Good to hear from some of the posters who have been noticeably absent. You were missed.

I am in the throes of packing for the cruise which leaves from LA through the Panama Canal and returns to Ft Lauderdale.

Trying not to overpack. One year I was challenged to bring a single bag to Italia.

I packed black everything...except the accessories. That took a lot of energy and thought. I am too old for that now.

Carpe diem!

Jeff, can you tell me what the sauce is on the pork belly please? It looks lovely and somehow I never seem to get it right. Hope it isn't a trade secret.

Hi, happy to.

I cheat with all my gravies and many of my gravy type sauces.

This isn't precise for me and it varies as it progresses and as I taste, but I use lot's of stuff.

I put a large slug of Martini Rosso in the bottom of a saucepan and boil off the alcohol. I put some vegetable boiullon powder and a very little chicken soup boiullon powder in and mix it in. I add some water. I add some mushroom ketchup, Lea and Perrins a dollop of tomato ketchup and a little sugar and a few twists of course black pepper and sometimes a touch of Bovril. A dot of tobasco.

The pork is cooked on a bed of soffitto ( carrot, onion, and celery) and the juices from that are poured into the gravy. I scrape off with water any meaty caramelised precious bits.

I add some gravy browning and some gravy thickening granules. The intensity is adjusted by the addition of some more water. There is a lot in it but a little of each.

These are all store cupboard items and I use them all the time in variations for lots of different gravy type sauces. I've just reread this, and I realise this sounds over the top but it is what I do - I wasn't aware of how many I use until I wrote it down ..and as you can see it produces a light but lovely sauce. I have to make more than I need because I keep drinking it under the pretence of tasting it whilst i'm cooking. Sometimes some appears to leap into a small espresso cup for a better tasting.

I hope it's helpful but recognise it makes me look a bit of an idiot.

:eek:

Wow! Way too many steps and ingredients for me. Obviously this is where I'm going wrong. If you are ever in little old Adelaide, please check out my pantry and give me a cooking lesson.

:D

I'm sorry.

Just buy some Martini Rosso, some Noily Prat some Veg bouillon powder and some Lea and Perrins and some gravy thickening powder, some dried thyme (you always have butter in the fridge to add some final richness) .... and you're 90% there to be able to produce some great sauces for almost anything ....

Jeff

Good Morning,

It's all in the mind. Just cook. :D

If you can get Noily it is completely different from the other Vermouths as it is full of herbs. It is many chef's secret sauce ingredient and adds wonderful character and complexity and everyone will think you are very clever. It is a great base for both white meat and fish sauces and gravies. It's also the only base for a proper dry martini ...

I made some Thai chicken rending yesterday with some coconut rice .... and yesterday was a great day as I extended our 3rd trip to Singapore this year to cover Christmas and New Year and we'll be in Singapore for well over a month. We're only a couple of months way to our next trip.

We have Adelaide on our list.:)

47D63AB3-EB64-45C9-B202-3C08DA9259DE.jpg

Boarded and just finished the dreaded unpack, but made all the better while sipping some Pommery Louise 1999. Our butler has already proved himself amazing. He apparently has done his research and knows what we like. Our suite is stocked! I don't post photos so apologize in advance. I filled up a photobucket account and no more room gratis.

On another thread, Candy has posted that she is boarded, unpacked and enjoying some French Champagne on a SS Spirit cruise from LA to Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal. Congrats to her!! Look forward to hearing more from this "adventure". Doing a Panama Canal cruise is on our future "to-do" list.

Glad that she mentioned Champagne from Pommery. We visited this French Champagne house located in Reims ten years ago. The house was founded in 1858 and run by Louise Pommery for many decades to make it one of the region's largest Champagne brands. Pommery is now also associated with the Heidsieck & Co Monopole brand that can found on Silversea ships in some locations such as Le Champagne. Louise Pommery pioneered in purchasing limestone and chalk pits, or crayères, carved underneath 12 miles of the city of Reims by Roman soldiers during their occupation of Gaul. These cellars allowed her to store and age over twenty million bottles in a temperature-controlled environment. Many other Champagne houses later followed her approach. Below are three of my pictures from visiting the Pommery house and their chalk caves 60' underground in 2005. Drink more on the Spririt from Pommery. Ask for that brand. It's very good. Nice that you brought back memories from being there in France's famed Champagne county. Hope you do not mind me sharing these Pommery details and visuals. Since you're not doing pictures, I'll add these to the "mix"!!

I am sure that others have their favorites among French Champagne. Just wanted to share here and encourage more "discussion" on your Champagne likes, stories and associated tales.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 104,410 views for this posting.

Here are three visuals from the "source" of Pommery Champagne that are served on Silversea. From Reims in the heart of Champagne country, the first picture shows the exterior for the Pommery operations. Second is in one of their chalk caves that are 60' below ground level. Third is one of the large wall art pieces in these caves where Pommery ages its Champagne. Enjoy!!:

Winter2A1%201_zpsuf4ap7ay.jpg

Winter2A2_zpszzyqbyym.jpg

Winter2A3%201_zpscl8id3is.jpg

Yesterday I was crisping the duck. And Terry, we had some Deutz.

Appreciate ALL of Jeff's continued and very good food visuals. Fun food!! Had not heard of Deutz Champagne here in the states. BUT, looked them up and saw that they have a long, long family history. See that they have been connected since 1993 with the Louis Roederer group of wineries. Nice website at http://www.champagne-deutz.com.

I see that the Deutz Champagne operations are in the town Ay, just east of Épernay. Great, interesting part of France!! Loved visiting there, learning more about the Champagne production/history, what all has happened in Reims, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 175,278 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From visiting in Épernay, here is my visual of the statute of the "Dom" who is blamed for inventing this whole "Champagne thing".:

Spring2015A1_zps6hbi1yni.jpg

Hi Terry, your interest in Deutz and champagne associated memories ....

Well, when my daughter decided to get married, I asked her where she wanted to and she said "Dad, you're not going to like this but I would like to get married at Whatley Manor .... and stay there for a night or two before going off on my honeymoon". I agreed to it as long as she organised it exactly as she wanted it (and send dad the bill ...) and providing that Martin Burge prepared the wedding lunch personally. He is an extraordinary chef.

Well it was the most extraordinary day. Really sunny and magical. Daughter persuaded Prince Charles's official harpist to play.

Martin recommended Deutz champagne - my first exposure to it. It was Martin's favourite and we got through a lake that day. And Martin prepared the most extraordinary meal.

When everything was over and all had gone, wife and I and my daughter and her new husband had a final bottle of Deutz on the terrace at the back of Whatley and my daughter says it was the most magical few moments of her life.

Another year of our own marriage has passed and in a few hours yet another anniversary ... and we will be having Deutz tomorrow. And just show how much I love the old bird .... her crispy duck pancake was bigger than mine ......

156FFD8C-F055-4188-A0F9-C4B293C52287.jpg

OK Jeff, since this is a “watercooler” type thread and monitored by English men, I have a question that might be right up your alley:

We are booked on the Wind, taking the London to London voyage and staying four days before and four days after in London. Would like to stay centrally located and at a hotel that represents the feel of London at its best.

Wife is tired of me dragging her around the world to three-star Michelin (molecular gastronomy) restaurants with four hour dining events. But she very much enjoys the one star Michelin places because it’s usually local cuisine, done very nicely.

Wife has been there over the last few years with dogs at the Crufts dog show. Last time I was there was 35 years ago just for a couple of days.

If you were our local travel rep; where would you send us to experience London for a very memorable experience?

Hi, happy to suggest.

Firstly to be clear, you need to be clear that there is now no longer much to identify London as being London if (outside of tourist landmarks) you were to open your eyes to guess where you are in the same way that if you opened your eyes in Paris almost anywhere you'd instantly know where you are. You are unlikely to encounter English people in the hotel in which you stay or the restaurants in which you eat. And so this is now London and everywhere in that sense gives you a feel for London. London does not give a visitor any feel for the real England however.

So with that caveat in mind and thinking more of glimpses of times past and a more traditional London, in my view some of the best of London are the following which I posted some time back for Terry. Some starting points.

You might be interested in visiting the Houses Of Parliament:

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/

... perhaps including afternoon tea on the Terrace ...

http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/tours-of-parliament/tours-teas-of-parliament/

..... Buckingahm Palace State Rooms .... and Royal Collection .. open until the end of September.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/the-state-rooms-buckingham-palace

I would also suggest having a wander around truly Dickensian London ... still has gas lamps etc ... great on a Sunday when no one is working.

http://www.middletemple.org.uk/home/

Also, the area of South Bank between Waterloo Bridge and Royal Festival Hall is very cosmoppolitan and sometimes missed ... perhaps even walking as far as The Globe.

http://southbanklondon.com/

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

You may be interested in seeing the Olympic Village ...

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/queen-elizabeth-olympic-park

Dennis Severs House would be wonderful if you could make it ...

http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/

..... and don't overlook The National Gallery which is free and my favourite gallery anywhere.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/rembrandt-the-late-works?gclid=Cj0KEQjwm6CgBRC0zOmrydrqmosBEiQA_xoLRhOorcz_Z_PTomhKRtdn5S1SJfUSO71Dwf3Y0mBnuwMaAk2a8P8HAQ

... and The Museum of London is wonderful ... I use to live 100 yards away for a large chunk of my life ....

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/

Some starters. What do you think?

Edited by UKCruiseJeff