Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Alaska or at least anchorage is crying for the world this morning. It is a soft gentle rain but tears nonetheless.

We pause as we reflect on the beauty of the mountains and the glaciers we saw as we flew in very late last night and contrast it with the very stark realities of our world today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an occasional amused 'voyeur' of all your stuff about food etc., I decided to get some of your battered haddock fish fingers and sea bass at our local Waitrose. Guess what - although they were both advertised as being in the freezer cabinet, neither was available. I guess your thread is more popular than I imagined, even in the vast agricultural wasteland of the East Midlands!

And I have to agree with everything said on here about world tragedies. Don't hesitate to be serious as well as silly.

As an occasional amused 'voyeur' of all your stuff about food etc., I decided to get some of your battered haddock fish fingers and sea bass at our local Waitrose. Guess what - although they were both advertised as being in the freezer cabinet, neither was available. I guess your thread is more popular than I imagined, even in the vast agricultural wasteland of the East Midlands!

And I have to agree with everything said on here about world tragedies. Don't hesitate to be serious as well as silly.

That's so lovely and thoughtful of you to say so. For some reason on the rare occaisions that I am liked, Silly always seems to wins over Serious, so some reassurance that I wasn't being an absolute pain was particularly greatfully received. Thanks.:) We should all speak for others who cannot speak for themselves. It is the obligation placed on those of us that are fortunate enough to be able to. There but for the grace of g*d.

I do not believe for a moment that because I eat fishfingers and frozen seabass that this has been the cause of a run on your local freezer cabinet. I pleed Not Guilty! Can I claim commission? :D

Alaska or at least anchorage is crying for the world this morning. It is a soft gentle rain but tears nonetheless.

We pause as we reflect on the beauty of the mountains and the glaciers we saw as we flew in very late last night and contrast it with the very stark realities of our world today.

I am almost there with you. :) Don't worry, not quite! :eek:

Jeff,

You are a sensitive old sod,nicely meant though.

Can I complain about the overuse of the camera.

I have noticed that every time a plate of food is put on a certain table near Andover in Hampshire a picture is taken of it without a thought for the poor cuts of meat and the frozen and battered pieces of fish and can I add,give peas a chance!

Rant over

Jeff,

You are a sensitive old sod,nicely meant though.

Can I complain about the overuse of the camera.

I have noticed that every time a plate of food is put on a certain table near Andover in Hampshire a picture is taken of it without a thought for the poor cuts of meat and the frozen and battered pieces of fish and can I add,give peas a chance!

Rant over

I'm sorry I nudged a Rant from you. Perhaps it's time for you to take a rest from the thread old bean! You aren''t jealous of my humble plates are you! :p

Many of us are however upset that whilst our noses are still always pressed on the outside of whichever hostelry you and the hoi polloi are all eating at, with us lot of plebs with only our imaginations to go on eating outside with a bag of crsips and a bottle of pop. :(

To be bleedin' direct, we're all waiting for a certain other person (no names, no pack drill) who has provided an abundance of excuses why they don't photograph ... (but that is a bit thin for every meal ;) )... has yet to provide a single picci of any meal for us to see first hand and to salivate! :eek:

Come on Lux .... just one piccy for the girls!

:D

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, Well done for that heartfelt post.

It's exactly how I feel. I hate myself for turning the news off but it really does distress me to watch these people suffering so. When l saw the early morning reports, those armed rebels, the alleged looting, all the personal belongings of the victims... it also made my blood boil at the sordid intrusion and the fact that the investigating team were not 'allowed' to carry out their work.

There is most certainly room on the cooler for such serious issues and l would hope that most folk reading will be tolerant in doing so.

Sophia

Thanks S. Gal.

The idea of the first thing was people rummaging through pockets and removing identification material is just totally perplexing. You presume that almost everyone in the world wouldn't do such things. But in a small village in the middle of nowhere this is what some of the first response is.

I'm also deeply confused about the sensitivity of trawling through social media to find and broadcast the last tweets and uploads of those that lost their lives. if you were the family of these people you would be watching the news 24/7 at the moment to try to make sense of what has happened. You do not need to see those intrusions. I recognise they will be broadcast eventually, but why not wait a week or so to let a little of the edge subside. Why must they be "first" to broadcast? Why not ask the families first?

:(

Thanks S. Gal.

The idea of the first thing was people rummaging through pockets and removing identification material is just totally perplexing. You presume that almost everyone in the world wouldn't do such things. But in a small village in the middle of nowhere this is what some of the first response is.

I'm also deeply confused about the sensitivity of trawling through social media to find and broadcast the last tweets and uploads of those that lost their lives. if you were the family of these people you would be watching the news 24/7 at the moment to try to make sense of what has happened. You do not need to see those intrusions. I recognise they will be broadcast eventually, but why not wait a week or so to let a little of the edge subside. Why must they be "first" to broadcast? Why not ask the families first?

I agree Jeff,this social media situation that we find ourselves in is making us more hungry and thirsty for the news and to be the first to get it on the net.

Now will you not see why I do not and will not do Facebook or post a bloody picture of what I might be eating in a restaurant.

Come to the Goring tomorrow for lunch and see for yourself.

I'll pay ;)

There's not much to photograph as I am on my strict summer diet,and it is working a treat.

I love your piccies of your precise cooking methods and you are most informative to those that want to learn from you.

You could do a cook book for Christmas Jeff,put me down for a couple of copies,signed of course.I've got someone to give a copy to and he's a professional Chef.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Thanks S. Gal.

Exactly. Thankfully l don't tweet.

It was the families that l was thinking of this morning when l saw those horrific reports. I've been trying to think back to other air disasters...(non political) and l can't recall ever seeing so many unauthorised people so close to a crash scene, although l stand to be corrected.

Where are the human rights do gooders...

Sophia

That is most kind.

I genuinely know that I am a rubbish cook.

The more you cook the more you realise how much you don't know. I think I only cook so enthusiastically because I'm so fussy and hate others cooking for me. I also simply want to eat what we enjoy what we have when we travel. I also genuinely believe you can tell how much someone loves you in the food they make for you. It isn't the professionalism in the dish, it is the effort. The heart shows through. I cook for my wife as a way of showing that. I think all men should cook. I have earned most of my cash over lunch.

:)

Exactly. Thankfully l don't tweet.

It was the families that l was thinking of this morning when l saw those horrific reports. I've been trying to think back to other air disasters...(non political) and l can't recall ever seeing so many unauthorised people so close to a crash scene, although l stand to be corrected.

Where are the human rights do gooders...

Sophia

I do not own a mobile phone except the one in the car - which is only used for Mobilfe.

. Why say to society I will give you the opportunity of interrupting me whatever I am doing whenever you want?

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, we're off to a great Greek place tonight, I'll be scoffing sheftalia, tzatziki and various other delicacies, and shall raise a glass to you. All of our friends that we've taken to this particular restaurant are always very suprised that we like it, as they expect our dining tastes to be more sophisticated. ;)

It's a very authentic type taverna, uncomfy wicker chairs, small tables too close together, bouzouki played too loud, there will even be dancing. All the things I usually hate when I'm eating out. But the food is superb. The couple that own it are from mainland Greece, I've forgotten where :o

Right, better go and try to do something with my face. I don't wish to scare my husband when he looks at me across the table this evening :eek::D

I love sheftalia. I'm so envious. Sounds like you are having the start of a meze.

You enjoy. Report back. Particularly whether they make their own flat bread or pitta. Spare no detail.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Ok I looked up the goring

Regrettably I have never been to London

Hope I am able to visit

The Goring is very close to Buck House and was a favourite haunt of our dear departed Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother...amongst others. One of her favourite dishes being the Eggs Drumkilbo.

The hotel came to the attention of the general public when the Duchess of Cambridge stayed there the night before she married the Prince William.

I quite like the place especially for Sunday lunch as they carve from the trolley for the roast....having said that, it's quite a while since I've been there so maybe it's all changed.

Sophia :)

Jeff, we're off to a great Greek place tonight, I'll be scoffing sheftalia, tzatziki and various other delicacies, and shall raise a glass to you. All of our friends that we've taken to this particular restaurant are always very suprised that we like it, as they expect our dining tastes to be more sophisticated. ;)

It's a very authentic type taverna, uncomfy wicker chairs, small tables too close together, bouzouki played too loud, there will even be dancing. All the things I usually hate when I'm eating out. But the food is superb. The couple that own it are from mainland Greece, I've forgotten where :o

Right, better go and try to do something with my face. I don't wish to scare my husband when he looks at me across the table this evening :eek::D

All sounds lovely...have a fabulous evening and come back please with a full report to all us couch potatoes....:D

S

The Goring is very close to Buck House and was a favourite haunt of our dear departed Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother...amongst others. One of her favourite dishes being the Eggs Drumkilbo.

The hotel came to the attention of the general public when the Duchess of Cambridge stayed there the night before she married the Prince William.

I quite like the place especially for Sunday lunch as they carve from the trolley for the roast....having said that, it's quite a while since I've been there so maybe it's all changed.

Sophia :)

Re the famous Goring Trolley!

In the days when I was based in W1 (working for the Corporation rather than in the Club) we use to regularly take people there for lunch. They liked it.

I can't remember the maitre d's name, but he enjoyed our banter and knew I had a sense of humour. Once, he overheard me over starters as the trolley wafted by saying to wifey "If they ask me what I want off the trolley, I'm going to demand the wheels". I of course did not know that this had been overheard. It will teach me.

Eventually, I was asked if I wanted anything from the trolley, and I daftly fell into the trap being an idiot. "i'll have the wheel please!" thinking how funny i was being.

What I hadn't realised was that they had a spare set of wheels and had put them onto a platter in case I said that. A plate was solemnly placed in front of me and carefully centred. Two wheels were placed in the center of the plate and I was asked "Would you like some sauce on those sir?

Re the famous Goring Trolley!

In the days when I was based in W1 (working for the Corporation rather than in the Club) we use to regularly take people there for lunch. They liked it.

I can't remember the maitre d's name, but he enjoyed our banter and knew I had a sense of humour. Once, he overheard me over starters as the trolley wafted by saying to wifey "If they ask me what I want off the trolley, I'm going to demand the wheels". I of course did not know that this had been overheard. It will teach me.

Eventually, I was asked if I wanted anything from the trolley, and I daftly fell into the trap being an idiot. "i'll have the wheel please!" thinking how funny i was being.

What I hadn't realised was that they had a spare set of wheels and had put them onto a platter in case I said that. A plate was solemnly placed in front of me and carefully centred. Two wheels were placed in the center of the plate and I was asked "Would you like some sauce on those sir?

Lovely story Jeff

That's very funny !

I am still waiting for transfer to cruise ship

And going slightly stir crazy

That was a welcome bit of humour

Spin.

we're honoured you are with us here. I am quite excited about your trip,

Jeff

Come on,give us the name of the place so that we might visit this place,

What might you drink?

Remember Retsina only tastes good in Greece,when you get it home it tastes like yacht varnish

I'm off to the Coach house as usual

Scallops followed by sea bass this evening and a glass of Gavi