Gifts to bring *TO* Alaska?

uk00121

Planning our Alaskan trip and wondered what would be a good item to bring to the locals. Preferably something small (or easy to get on-ship) to give to guides or in addition to tips.

I had read before that on tropical cruises sometimes just an apple is something the locals cannot easily get. Or is there something that we can get relatively cheap in the lower 48 that is at a premium in Alaska, yet easy to pack?

Planning our Alaskan trip and wondered what would be a good item to bring to the locals. Preferably something small (or easy to get on-ship) to give to guides or in addition to tips.

I had read before that on tropical cruises sometimes just an apple is something the locals cannot easily get. Or is there something that we can get relatively cheap in the lower 48 that is at a premium in Alaska, yet easy to pack?

As someone who lives in Alaska, I just wanted to comment that Alaska is not a third world country. I am trying to think of some item that "the locals" can't obtain here, and nothing comes to mind!

I am trying to think of some item that "the locals" can't obtain here, and nothing comes to mind!

In SE Alaska? Taco Bell

That's the number 1 request I get when I come into town. However, I'm sure a 4 day old taco isn't going to be a great gift :)

One other thing to consider, which I discovered when I cruised last year. For the cruise ship tours, just about all the drivers, guides, etc are "imported" for the season. We had one bus driver who was looking forward to going home for a weekend, to the Seattle area. It is best to just bring cash.

In SE Alaska? Taco Bell

That's the number 1 request I get when I come into town. However, I'm sure a 4 day old taco isn't going to be a great gift :)

Eeeeww! Why would they even want it?!

Now if you'd said Chipotle... :D

Thanks to the arrival of big box stores in Alaska and online shopping, folks in Alaska have very good shopping options.

Long, long ago I used to cruise north with boxes and boxes of stuff the family needed. Haven't done that since Reagan was president!

Krispy Kreme donuts or Chick-fil-a. But it would need to be fresh...

When my parents come up to visit, the first place they want to go is the Golden Corral in Anchorage since they don't have one in the Portland, OR area and we do.

Wow! What a wonderful thoughtful thing to do. Obviously in addition to the gratuity. Trinkets of some sort.

I had an older couple tip with old $2.00 bills. She said they had been saving them for years and figured it was time to make use of them. I still have them and that was 9 years ago.

Since you are from Kentucky - you could bring a Ky Derby pin or something representing the state.

I just wanted to say that it was very sweet of you to think of the people in Alaska. :)

FRESH OKRA!! Bring fresh okra!!

I can bring you some Okra in a few weeks. Where do you live? ;)

I had an older couple tip with old $2.00 bills. She said they had been saving them for years and figured it was time to make use of them. I still have them and that was 9 years ago.

Those bills are good to spend and have no value over $2. Why have you kept them?

We are not old, but DH and I also use to tip with $2 bills because we read on here that the crew members liked them. After doing so for a few cruises, we then learned that the crew had a hard time using them in certain ports, like in the Caribbean, because they had never been seen before. We stopped the practice.

Okra......that is the one thing that is hard to get....No wait...New Sagaya has it....Seriously..we have just about everything you need up here....and if it is not in our supermarkets, then we don't need it....LOL.....Now, if you are visiting someone out in the bush, food is always appreciated, but it can be picked up in Anchorage and then flown out in the plane with you....however, very few tourists get to experience the real bush....which is a shame..a real shame because it is a rare and wonderful experience.

Archived