My first cruise - how/where's best to meet people? (confronting social anxiety)

columbofan

Don't worry about the DS guy, he obviously has a problem, he won't be on your cruise so just imagine, he will be stuck in his office and you will be out having a great time on your cruise:D

When you book your cruise you will be given a meeting point on the ship where everyone on your trip, and maybe other trips will wait to be called. Everyone on a trip gets a numbered and coloured sticker to identify what trip and coach you are on. Your trip will be called and everyone will follow the rep who used to carry a paddle with your trip number on it.

You will get on your coach and go to your destination. The rep will guide you around and they usually take into account everyone's walking ability. You may get some time on your own. If you are worried keep within sight of people you recognise from your trip. Make sure you know your meeting point but most important of all, check the local time, check you have your watch set to the right time and take your daily newsletter with you because it will have port contact details on it.

You will be fine

Thanks again Tigra, you're awesome :)

Question about formal nights:

Will a navy suit be acceptable, or must it be black?

I have a plain [dark] navy suit which I look so much better in and prefer to bring that, but tuxedo's are normally black so it might be expected you wear a black suit too, or is navy fine?

thanks

Don't worry about the DS guy, he obviously has a problem, he won't be on your cruise so just imagine, he will be stuck in his office and you will be out having a great time on your cruise:D

When you book your cruise you will be given a meeting point on the ship where everyone on your trip, and maybe other trips will wait to be called. Everyone on a trip gets a numbered and coloured sticker to identify what trip and coach you are on. Your trip will be called and everyone will follow the rep who used to carry a paddle with your trip number on it.

You will get on your coach and go to your destination. The rep will guide you around and they usually take into account everyone's walking ability. You may get some time on your own. If you are worried keep within sight of people you recognise from your trip. Make sure you know your meeting point but most important of all, check the local time, check you have your watch set to the right time and take your daily newsletter with you because it will have port contact details on it.

You will be fine

I've been on about 10 cruises and usually taken ship's tours and all tour guides have stuck to ship time, never had to adjust watch on shore. Mind you ship has always changed their time to local time of next port. This has been the case on all my cruises.

I love solo cruising. 27 of my 52 have been on my own and I have 2 more this year alone. Hate the supplement though! I'd be a lot richer if it weren't for that! Contrary to the article by Sue Bryant, I have had fantastic solo cruises on big ships. Have done a few on QM2, also been on Independence of the Seas, Epic, Breakaway and Royal Princess solo within the past 2 years. Never felt lonely at all. My first solo cruise was Celebrity Constellation in 2007. It was only my second cruise and I hadn't even taken my first with a friend when this was booked. I was nervous but met so many lovely people it boosted my confidence. I've found you actually meet more people solo than when you go with someone as you are more sociable rather than stick together. Not many cruise lines put solos together at dinner, which I do find annoying. MSC were good with that and I'm still in touch with one of my fellow solos from Opera last year. On Radiance of the Seas in March, I spent 18 nights stuck on a table with 4 older couples who spent the entire cruise trying to outdo each other while ignoring me. Royal Caribbean really need to sort that out especially since at the next table were several solos. But try not to worry about that. Most people I've shared with have been great. I tend to go for traditional dining though am happy to eat on my own if no one else turns up. Have a wonderful cruise and just go with the flow. :D

Good stuff, thanks for this.

The reason why I'm worried about such judgements from strangers is that I am worried that later on they might see me and start 'targeting' me again or make me feel bad or even guilty by giving me that 'look' and others will catch it and it'll spread around the ship. It's unfortunate that months ago, I was excited about finally booking this cruise which is soemthing I wanted to do for years. In recent weeks that later turned to nervousness. And now, in truth, dread. This will probably be the only cruise I'll do because it's extremely expensive for me.

I am worried about people (couples, families, friend circles, women) judging me and making me feel embarassed about travelling by myself. It's abit like in school, in P.E. class where pupils join up in pairs for some exercising activity and I'm the remaining one standing in the middle of the hall. Then there's the excursions; couples going off together, romanticising the moment, and you're there all alone watching helplessly, wishing you could enjoy that too.

What can I do, or say to myself, to turn my feelings back around again, to be excited again about this holiday, as opposed to dreading it? Also I'll also worry about feeling left out in that everyone around me will be drinking in the evening with friends/families etc and I'd feel left out and alone, feeling miserable. Like, a 'pressure' in that I'm supposed to be out there too, enjoying myself (for a person with social anxiety, it's actually hard to find the meaning of this when with other people as opposed to being on your own). In truth I don't like to drink that much and don't want to spend irresponsibly, I like quiet nights. I want to go to the theatre/cinema/comedy club/live shows on evenings. I also feel in trying to meet people there on the ship, noone wants to meet 'that loner', especially ladies. You could say this post shows how sadly self-conscious I am - my counsellor says this is a result of an anxiety disorder with OCD, going together with my social phobia/anxiety. But she's been really supportive of me taking a big step in doing something as big as this and daring to follow the dream of experiencing the sea in summer.

Rehearsed scenario:

Traveller: 'you travel alone? *** is wrong with you? why you travel alone?'

Me: 'I personally feel there's nothing wrong with travelling by yourself; there are no compromises to make, you can do what you want, when you want, the freedom is luxurious, it's liberating, and in taking the adventure on your own you are learning more about yourself as a person, as a human being, and expanding yourself in jumping out your comfort zone and not afraid to do something you always wanted to do'.

Traveller: 'er...I got educated'

!!

Trust me, no one is going to be judging you, and the one's who might are morons! Yes, I said that.

I've been travelling alone for years, started when I was in my 40's and I'm now in my late 50's.

I went on a tour across the US, of the Southwest...There were a few single people, mostly couples....the other singles kept to themselves. This younger couple that I became friendly with, they thought I was the man's wife..and they thought his wife was my sister...lol..Imagine their surprise when they found out at the end of the tour, that I had just met them.

I sailed out of Barcelona by myself a few years ago. In the dining room, I was seated at a big table with more Europeans than Americans. Most Europeans don't think it strange to be travelling alone. You also might find that you can't understand some people. I sat at a table with a couple from Ireland. I could understand the wife, but 98% of the time I had no idea what the husband was saying. I just said Yes, and laughed.

Most people love to talk about themselves..so if you meet someone from another country....tell them you would love to travel there. If you're from the US..they will ask you about it.

I did a lot of tour from the ship, and some of the other singles were on the same tours as I. But when dinner time came, I didn't see them. It didn't matter to me, I don't mind eating alone.

Rehearse ahead of time, what you're going to say if someone says, You're alone? Say yes, this trip was on my bucket list of things to do. My friends weren't interested and I was not going to let that stop me, or my friends couldn't afford it.

After the week on your lovely cruise, you are never going to see these people again, and trust me...no one is going to be saying..can you believe this guy went on a cruise alone? People are more concerned about themselves.

I realize you have OCD....but you have got to give your mind a rest from the 'is this going to happen, is that going to happen...because you know, it really isn't going to happen....and you're going to wind up ruining your cruise before you go.

A few years before the solo cruise, I went on a cruise with 3 other women. I had the worst time. First, the cruise was out of Tampa, and my friend from Miami...insisted that I fly into Miami...2 weeks before the cruise she says she doesn't want to go. How am I going to get from Miami to Tampa? She's like I'll pay for your flight. I told her she was going, and she went. My other friend from TX...tells us the first day, that all she wants to do is sleep. Lucky for me I wasn't sharing a room with her.

I asked these people about excursions, and was told we would book them on board. It turns out, the 2 others didn't want to go on any excursions. You couldn't tell me that ahead of time? Some of the trips the other woman and I wanted to go on were booked.

So, the moral of my story is, it's not all fun and games going with other people.

Smile, say good morning or whatever when you pass someone.....I'm sure there are some books at the library or online about the Art of chitchat. Read some best selling books, or see some new movies before you go...ask people about excursions..as I said most people love to talk about themselves.

Have fun!!!

Quick question about excursions:

I spoke to a guy from CS and he was not friendly at all.

I spoke about my worries of the excursions and he said that the guide of the excursion will wait for you for 15 minutes if it's time to go and you're not with the group, after which you're abandoned.

I'll be going to Norway. My question is is whether the excursions will involve us going together, from A to B to C, in groups? Because if we break up at certain stages I'll be worried where we must meet again if I don't know where it is, and the time, especially if the area's big..or will everyone be in pretty much visual distance that you can't get 'lost'?

The guy on the CS phone for RCI sounded cold, unfriendly and threatening in his tone, I found it abit unsettling if I am honest (might file a complaint).

I took excursions with RC while cruising the Mediterranean. If you cruise with the guides from the ship.....and something happens....for some reason....the ship will wait...that being said.....The Captain, is none too happy when he doesn't get to sail on time!!!

After leaving one of the ports, about 45 minutes later, someone on the ship became deathly ill, and we had to go back into the port so that a helicopter could land on the ship. We were able to make up the time we lost.

On your excursions, they usually give you some shopping time. I was in Cannes or Monte Carlo...and after the tour...we were able to shop. If you have any memory issues, I suggest you either take a picture of where your bus is..and the nearest street sign, or write it down..this way you'll know where to go back to.

If you don't want to go shopping....ask someone if they would like to join you for a drink, ie coffee or tea. Another woman in Monte Carlo and I had something to eat.

But, you really have to watch the time. It is infuriating to get back to the bus on time, and have to wait for people.

Even at the ruins at Pompeii..where there were many tour groups....our tour leader had something so we would be able to see her...I think it was a bright colored umbrella..and they all have paddles. Usually the tour groups aren't that large, so you will recognize other people in the group. Most of the tour leaders know the other tour leaders from the different ships.....I've always seen them in conversations with one another.

I'm sure you will be fine. Just write stuff down if you have to or take a picture of where the bus is, so you have something to reference.

Hi,

I've been traveling alone since 2001. After my husband died, and I wanted to go to Europe, I tried to get someone- anyone- to go with me. No one was available, so I decided it was either travel alone, and see the world, or never travel again. I gave myself an ulcer worrying about it, and the minute I got on the bus to the airport I felt better and haven't looked back. I was 41 then, am now 52, and have done all inclusive's and driving vacations alone as well. I've seen how both being with someone and traveling with friends each have their good and bad points. I am shy by nature, and did have a hard time that first trip striking up conversations, and dining alone- BUT- it does get easier every single time. I wouldn't hesitate doing a cruise alone and am sure at some point I will. There is always someone to talk to- a smile and a hello are easy and non threatening for you and them. On my last cruise a fellow traveller started the "International Smoking Table". I can't tell you how much fun I had meeting people from all over the world who heard him talking and joined our table on deck for a cigarette and great conversation with new friends- traveling alone and with others. I always have a book on the go and also found a great icebreaker is seeing a book with an interesting cover and going up to the owner and asking about it. Even if we don't talk alot- I often have a new lead for reading material. Go with an open mind, a smile, and you'll have a great time!!

Hi,

I've been traveling alone since 2001. After my husband died, and I wanted to go to Europe, I tried to get someone- anyone- to go with me. No one was available, so I decided it was either travel alone, and see the world, or never travel again. I gave myself an ulcer worrying about it, and the minute I got on the bus to the airport I felt better and haven't looked back. I was 41 then, am now 52, and have done all inclusive's and driving vacations alone as well. I've seen how both being with someone and traveling with friends each have their good and bad points. I am shy by nature, and did have a hard time that first trip striking up conversations, and dining alone- BUT- it does get easier every single time. I wouldn't hesitate doing a cruise alone and am sure at some point I will. There is always someone to talk to- a smile and a hello are easy and non threatening for you and them. On my last cruise a fellow traveller started the "International Smoking Table". I can't tell you how much fun I had meeting people from all over the world who heard him talking and joined our table on deck for a cigarette and great conversation with new friends- traveling alone and with others. I always have a book on the go and also found a great icebreaker is seeing a book with an interesting cover and going up to the owner and asking about it. Even if we don't talk alot- I often have a new lead for reading material. Go with an open mind, a smile, and you'll have a great time!!

Well said! But shy by nature?.........

Hi Hal! I understand your concerns. I travel and cruise alone a lot. My partner just doesn't get a lot of time off of work. One thing that has helped me is getting involved with the roll calls. While sometimes this works, some roll calls fall flat. About the question about why you are traveling alone or getting pity for it, yes I have had it happen to me. My response to them when they say something like it's sad I am traveling alone I just tell them it works out fine because I really DO like myself, so I am the BEST traveling companion I could have. This usually works. But if someone is being really rude about it I would call them out and tell them they are rude and you are not on vacation to deal with their issue with you being alone. I think a lot of times they are scared to death to be alone and are projecting onto you when they do this.

That being said, I really have met some wonderful people on cruises. My last solo cruise I met a nice woman also traveling alone at the spa raffle and we ended up meeting another couple and spent a lot of time having a great time. I had no luck on the roll call and wasn't sure how it would go. On another roll call I met a group of people who we are doing a reunion cruise this year because we had that much fun. Most of us were traveling solo. I think they will be my friends for life. And what happened since is we now travel together sometimes! And I actually do like having some time alone so being a solo works for me. I think if I was you I would remind myself of the great things I know about myself. Don't worry about the downers, they have their owns issues and if you remember that it's not your problem but theirs it always helps! Hope you have a great cruise!

Good stuff, thanks for this.

The reason why I'm worried about such judgements from strangers is that I am worried that later on they might see me and start 'targeting' me again or make me feel bad or even guilty by giving me that 'look' and others will catch it and it'll spread around the ship. It's unfortunate that months ago, I was excited about finally booking this cruise which is soemthing I wanted to do for years. In recent weeks that later turned to nervousness. And now, in truth, dread. This will probably be the only cruise I'll do because it's extremely expensive for me.

I am worried about people (couples, families, friend circles, women) judging me and making me feel embarassed about travelling by myself. It's abit like in school, in P.E. class where pupils join up in pairs for some exercising activity and I'm the remaining one standing in the middle of the hall. Then there's the excursions; couples going off together, romanticising the moment, and you're there all alone watching helplessly, wishing you could enjoy that too.

What can I do, or say to myself, to turn my feelings back around again, to be excited again about this holiday, as opposed to dreading it? Also I'll also worry about feeling left out in that everyone around me will be drinking in the evening with friends/families etc and I'd feel left out and alone, feeling miserable. Like, a 'pressure' in that I'm supposed to be out there too, enjoying myself (for a person with social anxiety, it's actually hard to find the meaning of this when with other people as opposed to being on your own). In truth I don't like to drink that much and don't want to spend irresponsibly, I like quiet nights. I want to go to the theatre/cinema/comedy club/live shows on evenings. I also feel in trying to meet people there on the ship, noone wants to meet 'that loner', especially ladies. You could say this post shows how sadly self-conscious I am - my counsellor says this is a result of an anxiety disorder with OCD, going together with my social phobia/anxiety. But she's been really supportive of me taking a big step in doing something as big as this and daring to follow the dream of experiencing the sea in summer.

Rehearsed scenario:

Traveller: 'you travel alone? *** is wrong with you? why you travel alone?'

Me: 'I personally feel there's nothing wrong with travelling by yourself; there are no compromises to make, you can do what you want, when you want, the freedom is luxurious, it's liberating, and in taking the adventure on your own you are learning more about yourself as a person, as a human being, and expanding yourself in jumping out your comfort zone and not afraid to do something you always wanted to do'.

Traveller: 'er...I got educated'

!!

I like the person that answered a question about why you are travelling alone with I travel alone because I can. Love that - I travel solo all the time. Please don't feel you are intruding on people - most are very nice and welcoming and sometimes when you say you are travelling alone it opens up a whole conversation. I will say that the Schooner Bar on the Adventure OTS is usually where the trivia is held. I find that if I sit at the bar, I generally play with whoever is next to me and it works out fine. Same goes for other clubs bars. If the table seating is too intimidating, just sit at the bar and nurse a soda - I have done that many times as well and just chat with whoever is next to you. and sometimes I just like to be alone - I'll go eat dinner in the windjammer which is just fine - they ususally serve the same food as the dining room. You would be surprised how many eat in the buffets for dinner! Ship excursions are always very inclusive - I have been on them with couples, and kids and singles and people that are travelling with someone but go their separate ways on excursions. I have NEVER run into anyone that was rude to me or made me feel I was intruding. Travelling alone, I can be the one that decides who I eat with, talk with, etc. And all those people that may make you feel uncomfortable because you are alone, I bet most of them wish they were alone - i do what I want, when I want and don't have to share the bathroom!! So please try to look forward to this - the worst that can happen is that you spend time on a great ship, see a wonderful part of the world and gain a bit more confidence for the next time you travel. Have a wonderful trip

I have a favorite solo cruiser story. This was also on the Adventure of the Seas. This gentleman walked around the Royal Promenade on the first formal night dressed very sharply in his tuxedo. He always carried his camera and a drink. He walked up to most everybody remarking how beautiful they looked in a very respectful way. He offered to take pictures for couples who were on their own. He made everyone feel, well, just beautiful. We thought he was part of the staff until some people asked him and he said he was not, that he was traveling alone. By this point he was having people, couples, children, asking if they could take their picture with him. He actually looked like an old Hollywood celebrity. Almost like a present day Sean Connery but with lots of hair on his head and clean shaven.

From then on, every time I'm on a cruise, I just talk to everyone as if I have known them for years and go out of my way to help couples with their pictures, or disabled or elderly people move around. Just random acts of kindness. And on formal nights, I make sure I start telling people respectfully how beautiful they look, and then I also become very popular on board, especially when I say it with my Spanish accent!

What I'm trying to say is that, just by being on board, you are already part of the party! You are already part of this particular cruise group! We are all your shipmates!

Worst case scenario, in the improbable event that all of your fellow passengers turn out to be jerks, you still have hundreds of really friendly crew members that you can chat it up with! And when you keep on cruising and you do it on the same line, you are likely to meet some of these crew members on other ships again and they will remember you.

Happy cruising!

One of my concerns is dining. I wanted the 'my time' dining reservation but the website won't let me, so am worried I'd be stuck with couples etc who'd judge me and make me feel miserable. I'll phone the cruise liner up tomorrow asking to be seated with solo's, hopefully that'll help.

When I cruised on Celebrity in Feburary, my first Solo cruise since my husband passed away in 2010 I was put on a table with mostly couples and 1 single lady. They were the nicest people and asked me to join them at times. I also met someone on the CC board who was also cruising solo. It turned out to be a really nice relaxing cruise, and I never felt that I was alone. I booked the Ships excursions which I rarely do in the Caribbean as I knew i would be with a group. I didn't want to spend the entire cruise alone, and I didn't.

Saturday, I'm flying to Spain on a 15 day Escorted tour. The company I'm going with "cosmos' is part of the Globus family of brands which includes Avalon River Cruises. Cosmos caters to the solo traveler by offering single shares.

On my last land based resort vacation a woman stated to me "why I earth would anyone travel alone for vacation?". I looked her right in the eye and said "because I can", she walked away without another word and I never saw her again for the rest of my trip.

Being 45 and single and loving my life so much as a solo person in the world, I love this statement. On or off a ship.

Agree with just about all the previous posts. My first solo cruise on Princess was really awful, was treated horribly by the ships staff and passengers.

On my last land based resort vacation a woman stated to me "why I earth would anyone travel alone for vacation?".

I had a similar experience at a resort as an almost-solo. (Came with someone, but stopped hanging out with him early on, after getting into a big disagreement.) Staff asked me questions like "Just one? Are you sure?", and fellow guests gave me dirty looks when they saw me walking alone or sitting alone in a club. It was bad enough that I feared for my safety when walking around the hotel late at night.

My Carnival cruise was absolutely nothing like that. When I met people, they treated me as an equal and barely even mentioned the fact that I was cruising solo. What did they do on your Princess cruise that constituted horrible treatment? Was it anything like my experience?

I've been a widow since I was 42, and cruising is the one vacation where I can go solo and never feel alone. I've done 4 solo cruises, and 4 with my grown, married daughter. Even when I am with my daughter we each do our own thing most of the time. Getting ready for my last solo cruise I said "I can't wait to get away by myself" and my daughter said "Mother (eye roll here), you live by yourself!"

I never feel alone on a cruise. I do take part in the roll call events. All of my solo cruises have been on NCL which doesn't have assigned seating in the MDR's. I thought this might be a "feel funny" thing, but it isn't at all. I usually do not do the "dress-up or not" night, as that seems to be more couple oriented. On that night I usually go to one of the specialty restaurants and enjoy a top-notch meal. Part of the time I tell the hostess that I would like to share a table, but other times I choose to eat by myself and just people watch. I love it.

On my first solo cruise I met 3 very nice young men who asked "Honey, are you all by yourself?" When I answered yes, one of them said "Well, you're not any more." We had a blast -- went horseback riding on Barbados, rode scooters around St. Lucia -- and they called me every morning to tell me when they were going to breakfast. It was probably one of the best cruises I have ever been on. It certainly cured my fear of cruising alone.

Good luck to you. Don't decide ahead of time that you are going to have a lousy time. I found if I keep a smile on my face, and just say hello to people, I get a smile back. I refuse to let someone else ruin my wonderful solo cruise.

Enjoy -- you may have found the perfect vacation for yourself!

On my last land based resort vacation a woman stated to me "why I earth would anyone travel alone for vacation?". I looked her right in the eye and said "because I can", she walked away without another word and I never saw her again for the rest of my trip.

I love this, truly. As a 45 year old who loves his single life, I can use this on and off a ship!

On another roll call I met a group of people who we are doing a reunion cruise this year because we had that much fun. Most of us were traveling solo. I think they will be my friends for life. And what happened since is we now travel together sometimes!

I actually LOVE this to happen to me - to meet someone on the cruise and to stay in touch with them long after, even if it's just through facebook or something.

How easy is it to make friends? It'd be sad to meet someone you really like but when the cruise is over they'll become a fading memory. How do you ask others to keep in touch if you really like someone, ask for their facebook email or something? (I admit I have never ever been good at making friends.)

I am not on a cruise to make friends so most of your concerns did not bother me very much. While I always enjoy especially US passengers and their tendency to easily engage in conversations that get very personal and interesting with strangers, it happened a few times that I got in situations that made me feel uncomfortable.

So whenever a conversation gets into topics you don't like or a tone you do not enjoy do not hesitate to get up and leave. If you are asked to join someone or stay a bit longer don't do it just to be nice. To sum it up rather be rude than let them ruin your day. I am not sure if the same happens to couples but I sometimes felt that strangers after knowing that I travel solo got way to attentive.

I actually LOVE this to happen to me - to meet someone on the cruise and to stay in touch with them long after, even if it's just through facebook or something.

How easy is it to make friends? It'd be sad to meet someone you really like but when the cruise is over they'll become a fading memory. How do you ask others to keep in touch if you really like someone, ask for their facebook email or something? (I admit I have never ever been good at making friends.)

Last year we were on a 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Amsterdam and met several people that we would love to stay in contact with.

We live in a cruise port (Victoria,BC) and a couple of weeks ago had the pleasure of entertaining one of the couples we met last year when they returned to Victoria on another cruise. We are making plans to meet up again at a later date either when we cruise andr they will come to meet us or we may cruise with them again on another itinerary.

Rockfan2

T-37 til Alaska again

Hi,

My first cruise is this coming Sunday (Adventure of the Seas, RCI, 18/8, to Norway). I am really nervous, scared even.

I will be travelling solo, unfortunately my cabin is one of the inner ones as it'd be too expensive for a balcony so can't enjoy the view and am worried I might go claustrophobic with no window?

I have social anxiety and OCD. I took this cruise because

(a) it's always something i wanted to do, enjoy the views of the sky and river, enjoying the breeze whilst relaxing;

(b) on a personal level, I want to confront my fears, jump outside my comfort zone, and do something entirely new, in being able to meet people. When meeting people, especially women, I get so badly nervous, short of having panic attacks.

I wish to ask:

(1) what's the best way to meet people, especially solo travellers? I have signed up on the roll-call but it seems every other post I see has the pronoun of 'we' instead of 'I', I am worried I'll be the only solo aboard 3600 people!

(2) where are the best places to meet people, especially solo travellers, without feeling you're 'disturbing' a group?

(3) other than the basics - such as where you're from, what excursions you're going to do - what other conversation topics is good to talk about? I like to use this cruise as a test for myself in improving my social skills.

(4) how do you deal with people who will either ask why you're alone or judge you in some way (calling it 'brave', 'pathetic', 'lonely' etc), and how do you respond and handle it if they make you feel embarassed?

(5) how do you deal with situations where you feel the 'odd' one out? For example, people are in groups, splitting into couples/families in group activities and you're not with anyone. I like to play some games on there but don't want people pointing and laughing at me.

And to add to my nervousness, this will be my first travel outside my home country since 1991!

Thanks

Get drunk, that will take care of your anxiety and you'll easily meet people.

I am in a similar position and have almost made my mind up. A couple of questions if I may? Will post on another topic if this is not the correct place as not posted here before...

Looking at going with Celebrity next year in Europe.

1) Apart from the odd "formal" evening where us men need to wear a dark shirt, what is the dress code at other meal times? i.e. is a smart pair of jeans OK as do not want to have to bring too many formal clothes with me, or can you get by wearing shorts even?

2) Read about these "roll calls", but not really sure how they work to be honest.

3) As a nervous lone traveler, I am wondering if I would be best to go on the excursions organised by the Ship? Not sure I fancy walking/traveling around a city that I will have limited knowledge of.

Any general help in a first time cruiser would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I am in a similar position and have almost made my mind up. A couple of questions if I may? Will post on another topic if this is not the correct place as not posted here before...

1) Apart from the odd "formal" evening where us men need to wear a dark shirt, what is the dress code at other meal times? i.e. is a smart pair of jeans OK as do not want to have to bring too many formal clothes with me, or can you get by wearing shorts even?

2) Read about these "roll calls", but not really sure how they work to be honest.

3) As a nervous lone traveler, I am wondering if I would be best to go on the excursions organised by the Ship? Not sure I fancy walking/traveling around a city that I will have limited knowledge of.

Thank you.

You are taking the first steps to the joys of solo traveling. Have done this about 5 times before and thoroughly enjoy myself. It is normal to get pre-cruise nerves as I still get them and have a fear that I will be myself.

For me, it is best to sign up for the roll call, most of them will organize a meet & greet on the boat. I travel NCL, and the meet & greets usually occur on the first day at sea and are in a bar/lounge on the boat. They usually last about 1 hour and are a great place to meet other cruisers. For me, I have found this a place to share stories and arrange private excursions with other people. I can be shy at times but have no issues talking with strangers. the only hang-up that I have yet to overcome is to go the the main dining room by myself. NCL makes it harder since the dining is freestyle. On Carnival, they will put you on a big table with other solos if you request with the Maitre'D.

When it comes to excursions, I usually will book thru the ship if it is a port that I am unfamiliar with. You may get lucky and meet people to share a taxi with which is what sometimes happens to me. I have done the Western Carib many times before and now help other people go to places that I recommend like "the Money Bar" in Cozumel.

You are going to have fun and wonder why you didn't do solo cruising earlier. Can't help with the dress code on your ship as I travel NCL with is very relaxed.

Have fun.

Tony

Thank you.

I don't know about Celebrity and how strict they are about dress codes. I have not cruised with them in about 30 years, so what I know about them is pretty useless these days.

As for roll calls, they are essentially message forums for those cruising on the same voyage. Some will be busy, some will be quiet, but the idea is to let future passengers introduce themselves and start to get to know other passengers who will be on the same ship. Some people make dining plans and excursion arrangements with people they "meet" on the roll calls; that's not my style, but it works for some people.

As for ship excursions, they might be best if you are uncomfortable with the idea of wandering around to do your own thing (one option) or doing some research to arrange a third-party excursion with a local company (another option). Third party excursions can be good, and they're almost always cheaper than the ship's excursions, but you have to be comfortable researching not just where you want to go but also the reputation of the company to ensure you get what you want without any problems. Personally, I'm more of a DIY kind of traveler who LOVES the research and organizing part of things, and also likes poking about new places rather than planned excursions (right now I'm starting to plan 10 days solo in NZ (yea!)).

I think you will find that everyone you meet will be very friendly. Yes, you may get some people who will appear to feel sorry for you because you're alone. But that's okay, just try not to feel sorry for yourself.

And most everyone you meet loves to cruise, so talking cruise is a great and easy conversation.

Also, I think a friendly smile goes a long way in meeting new people. :)

Hope you have a great time!

Archived