Will a Crystal and Seabourn lover be happy?

BUgrad

As TC knows we are Crystal patrons. We have sailed Regent five times and 20 with Crystal. One thing I thought was great on Regent was the block party nice way to meet your neighbors and break the ice. I have suggested this to Crystal but to no avail.

I come to the luxury threads for port information and tours and all have been helpful.

This thread has been very civil. We all have choices even at the grocery store and my partner does not like some things I like. I wanted to try O but I was denied. We are interested in the Explorer. We trust our TA and they sell a lot of Regent and Crystal and they are one of the top producers of both lines.

Both lines have their positives and negatives, so whatever floats your boat.

Since "Seabourn" is part of the subject, I'm wondering what thoughts posters have regarding their new smoking policy? I give them credit for doing anything to lessen the smoking on board but am puzzled why passengers will not be able to smoke in suites but can smoke on balconies.

Does this change anyone's views of Seabourn as an alternative to Regent?

Since "Seabourn" is part of the subject, I'm wondering what thoughts posters have regarding their new smoking policy? I give them credit for doing anything to lessen the smoking on board but am puzzled why passengers will not be able to smoke in suites but can smoke on balconies.

Does this change anyone's views of Seabourn as an alternative to Regent?

Lots of chatter on the Seabourn thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1898322

Chatter, chatter, chatter is what some people live for.

It is like any other kind of "news"..... there are many luxury cruise passengers that find this particular type of chatter quite interesting. Not everyone on the Regent board reads the Seabourn board (I do only once a week or so). Had the smoking policy change gone a bit further, Seabourn might have become an option for us.

IMO, it is so important to at least list the cruise lines you have been on in your "signature". It really makes a difference in terms of how you perceive luxury cruising.

Interesting. I have all signatures turned off in my preferences so I won't have to wade through all the lists all the time. Haven't seen lists (except when I visit Cruise Critic prior to signing in) for nearly a decade.

I haven't missed those lists one darned bit!

P.S. I just clicked on your profile and see that your list is there. I much prefer having to click a profile to see those lists (if I'm interested) than to have them scroll by over and over again.

Interesting. I have all signatures turned off in my preferences so I won't have to wade through all the lists all the time. Haven't seen lists (except when I visit Cruise Critic prior to signing in) for nearly a decade.

P.S. I just clicked on your profile and see that your list is there. I much prefer having to click a profile to see those lists (if I'm interested) than to have them scroll by over and over again.

I agree. I try to keep my signature as succinct as possible--I hate the really long ones which list every cruise the person has taken, one line at a time. I try to remember to turn my sig off sometimes, but usually forget.

As usual, I admire the way you do things:)

I felt that it was kind of pointless and pretentious to list all of my cruises, so I eliminated them from my signature long ago. I do see your point, however, TC, that at least it lets you know the cruiser's frame of reference.

I felt that it was kind of pointless and pretentious to list all of my cruises, so I eliminated them from my signature long ago. I do see your point, however, TC, that at least it lets you know the cruiser's frame of reference.

So, do you think that it is silly that I post my cruises back to 2004?

We got off Voyager in Stockholm yesterday and had a fabulous time. I hadn't cruised for fifteen months and had forgotten how much I enjoy it.

Now when we cruised on Mariner last year we thought the sevice in Compass Rose was a bit slow tho' nothing to grumble about. This year we had dinner in Compass Rose only once and the service was if anything a bit too fast. Maybe it was because it was the last night and the crew wanted to get ready for the next cruise but maybe they've taken notice of guest feedback.

I had breakfast in Compass Rose three times. Unless I can eat outside in La Veranda or if I have an early tour, I prefer breakfast in Compass Rose because it's less of a scramble. On each ocasion, Albert the waiter looked after me very well.

Once we'd sussed out how Sette Marie works (which isn't obvious even when it's explained to you) we found it to be excellent. They do a splendid fish stew!

A hint. If you're willing to eat at six, it seems you can get into Prime Seven without booking. Like other folk we found Prime Seven's interpretation of "medium" is "rare" but again I wouldn't feel inclined to grumble because otherwise the steaks were excellent.

R

A hint. If you're willing to eat at six, it seems you can get into Prime Seven without booking.

R

I thought dining hours in all outlets was from 6.30. Indeed, we have been having a pre-dinner drink and watching eager diners waiting for 6.30 to come up.

Thank you for your up-beat assessment of your cruise on Voyager.

Might have been 18:30 but I went along when it opened to cancel a 21:30 booking and the maitre said if we were willing to eat straight away he'd fit us in so (obviously) we took him up on his offer.

As regards my "upbeat assessment," my view is that some people are too quick to moan and during my recent cruise, on occasion I was embarassed by the way a (very) few guests spoke to the staff (who work so hard) if something wasn't "just so."

However much you may pay for something, perfection is not attainable; at least in this life. In any event it was good enough for me and I'm planning my next trip already!

Are you "on board" at the moment Orpington?

R

Yes, the staff on any ship work very hard. I have seen this behavior on Crystal as well and on Regent. Some people never learned the words please or thank you or may I request whatever.

You get more bees with honey than you get with vinegar.

We have cruised on Crystal since 1992 with very few exceptions. One Seabourn in the mix and an Oceania, RCCL, HAL, and a now defunct Royal. Last August we were on Navigator to Alaska. This was our third to Alaska, the first on Princess in 1987. We went on Crystal once. Our Navigator to Alaska was wonderful. Huge room, wonderful bed, good food (especailly the Italian casual dining) and shore excursions. We did miss the cocktail hour entertainment as is present in the Crystal Ave. Saloon. The only real complaint we had was the lack of a forward observation area on the Navigartor, but we had a wonderful time and a fantastic shore ex to Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. If you are going because of the itinerary I would certiainly try the Navigator. We had "cheap seats" forward and the accommodations were wonderful. Lots of friendly faces and a good place to mingle for the block party. Loved it all. joyous

My husband and I are considering the Navigator for a San Francisco to Vancouver itinerary of Alaska. Since our lines of choice,Seabourn and Crystal do not go to Alaska and Silversea fell below our expectations our T.A. suggested the Navigator. She suggested this sailing which is in early May stating that the glaciers will have less melt and we would not have as long a flight. We like the fact that RSSC is not formal, but how does food and service compare? Entertainment is not that important.

I have never cruised on Navigator but did cruise Alaska on Mariner some years ago. Highlights were evenings sailing peacefully along sitting in the observation lounge. Without that facility I have always felt that a major part of the Alaskan adventure would be missing. However your thoughts, joyous, make me wonder if I am overstating the benefits of that forward Obs lounge.

The benefits of that forward Obs lounge were greatly missed. But I braved the cold and got up front outside with my trusty binocs and little camera. The wonderful shore excursion and the sights the Captain showed us from the **** more than made up for it. And, we were determined to have a wonderful time and not compare too much. joyous

I have never cruised on Navigator but did cruise Alaska on Mariner some years ago. Highlights were evenings sailing peacefully along sitting in the observation lounge. Without that facility I have always felt that a major part of the Alaskan adventure would be missing. However your thoughts, joyous, make me wonder if I am overstating the benefits of that forward Obs lounge.

I really liked the outdoor area behind this lounge with the heat lamps. Although smokers are allowed on one side, it did not pose too much of a problem, They have very comfortable patio furniture out there (sofas, easy chairs, and coffee tables). My only suggestion is to have more seating arrangements

in this part of the ship. Sail away from Skagway was breathtaking!

I really liked the outdoor area behind this lounge with the heat lamps. Although smokers are allowed on one side, it did not pose too much of a problem, They have very comfortable patio furniture out there (sofas, easy chairs, and coffee tables). My only suggestion is to have more seating arrangements in this part of the ship. Sail away from Skagway was breathtaking!

Do you mean that smoking is allowed on a portion of a side of the ship or do you mean a 50% split?

Some ships limit on deck smoking to a very small portion of the ship, but any more than that would be a deal-breaker.

Archived