HMC Early tendering for clamshells and other excursions.

Thebes

Folks,

Was wondering if booking a clamshell @ HMC would qualify me for early tendering ?

I know booking a cabana does. How about 9:30 am glass boat ride ? Do they look at the timing of excursions or just having an exclusion would qualify for early tendering ?

It seems like no earlier excursions than 9:30

Thank you in advance :)

Priority tendering for suites and 4 stars and above will get you early tendering. We were on the first tender ashore last Dec. and those were the only people they were allowing into the tender boarding area. Otherwise you wait until the shore excursion departs or your tendering number or until open tendering. We used the ship's tenders as another HAL ship was also in port and they got the bigger Half MoonCay tenders. Tendering is fast either way, but faster with the HMC tenders.

You aren't the last one on the tenders. You are just not the first priority.

I am not aware you get an excursion number, but I could be wrong. With two tenders that take over 200 people per trip, and frequently a third, smaller tender operating (it takes the supplies early on, then starts taking people a little later), the flow goes relatively smoothly. Far smoother than our recent tendering experiences on Eurodam in the Baltic.

I have gotten zero priority for tendering at HMC on my last several trips. I am a 4 star. They say its not necessary because of the big tenders. They are full of it. It's been a disaster every time.

What time did u end up on shore?

Wondering if a one can just take it easy and enjoy bkfst and then go for it ? Would that produce a better outcome than rushing?

Did u have an excursion ?

What time did u end up on shore?

Wondering if a one can just take it easy and enjoy bkfst and then go for it ? Would that produce a better outcome than rushing?

Did u have an excursion ?

No, I didn't have an excursion. I think the last time I tried to go around 10 am thinking the crowds would have died down. It was nuts. I think I then waited until 11. It was fine then. A person shouldn't have to wait that long.

No, I didn't have an excursion. I think the last time I tried to go around 10 am thinking the crowds would have died down. It was nuts. I think I then waited until 11. It was fine then. A person shouldn't have to wait that long.

Thanks Lorekauf :)

How about a clamshell or cabana?

If a one gets an excursion # after booking a clamshell which in turn qualify for early tendering hopefully. That would the WAY around this crazy situation iMO. Most of us can afford to lose $15 as a price for early tendering better than being a mariner 4 even.

I hope someone who booked a clamshell share their experience with early tendering or not ?

How about a clamshell or cabana?

If a one gets an excursion # after booking a clamshell which in turn qualify for early tendering hopefully. That would the WAY around this crazy situation iMO. Most of us can afford to lose $15 as a price for early tendering better than being a mariner 4 even.

I hope someone who booked a clamshell share their experience with early tendering or not ?

We never got any priority for having a clamshell booked. Lorene is right - it's chaotic.

I think how chaotic it is depends upon 1) the size of your ship and 2) if you have the large tender. (If there are two ships in port you might not have the island tender). On the smaller ships we have found it pretty smooth and quick.

We have gotten off between 9 and 9:30 am traditionally on those ships, but we were in no hurry. On the larger ships in general, we have found it chaotic - especially if the weather is iffy and the tenders are going slowly because of it.

Of course, it's always better to tender than not to tender at all;) We have missed HMC numerous times because of the inability to tender.

So, if you want to take the optimistic point of view, don't worry about when you get off - worry about if you can. (and yes, if they have to cancel they will refund all the shore excursions, clamshells, whatever). Remember, this is a tender port - no guarantees;)

I think how chaotic it is depends upon 1) the size of your ship and 2) if you have the large tender. (If there are two ships in port you might not have the island tender). On the smaller ships we have found it pretty smooth and quick.

We have gotten off between 9 and 9:30 am traditionally on those ships, but we were in no hurry. On the larger ships in general, we have found it chaotic - especially if the weather is iffy and the tenders are going slowly because of it.

Of course, it's always better to tender than not to tender at all;) We have missed HMC numerous times because of the inability to tender.

So, if you want to take the optimistic point of view, don't worry about when you get off - worry about if you can. (and yes, if they have to cancel they will refund all the shore excursions, clamshells, whatever). Remember, this is a tender port - no guarantees;)

You are right. I've missed it more than once.

Thanks Kazu.

Was just wondering how would I know which port is a tender port on my itinerary ?

Ochoa Rio

Grand Turk

St thomas

San juan

Cayman ( tender) I believe

HMC ( tender)

Thanks

Thanks Kazu.

Was just wondering how would I know which port is a tender port on my itinerary ?

Ochoa Rio

Grand Turk

St thomas

San juan

HMC ( tender)

Thanks

I believe you have identified your two tender ports. On any cruise itinerary, the tender ports are identified with a little "TR" /"tr" sign next to the port.

HAL uses a several different signs for different purposes on their itiineraries - there is a note at the bottom for what the symbols mean.

there are symbols for scenic cruising, service call and tender to name a few.;)

It's always good to know which ports are tender ports. It can impact your planning:rolleyes:;)

Off topic, but our best tender port was when the CD announced that we would not be tendering - the prinsendam had docked at a newly built dock. We would have to WALK off the ship. Great day!!!

Thanks Kazu.

Ochoa Rio

Grand Turk

St thomas

San juan

HMC ( tender)

Thanks

Just some comments about cayman. It can be rough to tender there. Also there is usually about a billion cruisers there every time I've gone so that might effect the day.

HMC now uses four island tenders:

196927_10150223738810729_6747328_n.jpg

Henry Hudson - 250 pax

207131_10150223738380729_5767942_n.jpg

Anne Bonny - 250 pax

196671_10150223738980729_2386334_n.jpg

The Rookie - 140 pax

522527_10151348147800729_48513476_n.jpg

Stingray - 250 pax

601224_10151528184965729_1961785989_n.jpg

Ship tender "S" and "R" class

931371_10151658116755729_1320721053_n.jpg

Ship's tender Vista class

When there's only one HAL ship at HMC, all four of the island tenders are used to shuttle pax between the island and the mother ship. When there are two HAL ships at HMC, the larger of the two gets at least three of the large island tenders. The smaller HAL ship has to do with her own ship tenders plus, usually the Stingray (or Rookie). At times, the smaller ship has also had one of the bigger ship's tender at her disposal to help out.

Ochoa Rio

Grand Turk

St thomas

San juan

HMC ( tender)

Thanks

Ocho Rios -- you will be docked at the old industrial pier -- not near anything. There is also a chance that at the last minute you may end up at Falmouth.

Grand Turk -- you may or may not make this port -- if the winds are up, the captains tend to avoid this port as the opening through the reef is small. We missed it several times.

St Thomas -- you will be docked at Crown Bay -- a few shops there. Do not walk to town -- bad area. Use one of the Safari buses.

San Juan -- will be docked right in town.

Grand Cayman -- you could end up in either the North or South docks or the one further down -- can't remember it's name. It all depends on the number of ships in that day. We have encountered some long delays while waiting for our ship tenders to get permission to dock. Some ships use the island tenders and they have priority (HAL always uses their own tenders).

HMC you already know.

I have gotten zero priority for tendering at HMC on my last several trips. I am a 4 star. They say its not necessary because of the big tenders. They are full of it. It's been a disaster every time.

My husband said yesterday he is inclined to just stay onboard next trip because of the mess the tendering was last time. We got over on the first tender but waited in a very long line, in the sun, with no water offered to get back onboard. It was over an hour in a line that snaked back well into the island.

They REALLY needed periodic little shade tents and staff passing water out. It was awful.

Ocho Rios -- you will be docked at the old industrial pier -- not near anything. There is also a chance that at the last minute you may end up at Falmouth.

Grand Turk -- you may or may not make this port -- if the winds are up, the captains tend to avoid this port as the opening through the reef is small. We missed it several times.

St Thomas -- you will be docked at Crown Bay -- a few shops there. Do not walk to town -- bad area. Use one of the Safari buses.

San Juan -- will be docked right in town.

Grand Cayman -- you could end up in either the North or South docks or the one further down -- can't remember it's name. It all depends on the number of ships in that day. We have encountered some long delays while waiting for our ship tenders to get permission to dock. Some ships use the island tenders and they have priority (HAL always uses their own tenders).

HMC you already know.

What happened if I book the report in och rios and they end up at Falmouth ? The resort might refund me I guess.

So if excursions are booked with the ship , I know they'll refund in case they don't make it. . How about excursions from a third party ?

Yeah, I heard St. thomas ( the town is no good)

My biggest thought right now as a newbie for cruises and first time on HA is too choose one or 2 ports to stay on the ship, enjoy our retreat cabana and other amenities the ship offers. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we will be overwhelmed with all the new experiences at hand. I expecting the Eurodam to be a lovely ship.

What happened if I book the report in och rios and they end up at Falmouth ? The resort might refund me I guess.

So if excursions are booked with the ship , I know they'll refund in case they don't make it. . How about excursions from a third party ?

Yeah, I heard St. thomas ( the town is no good)

My biggest thought right now as a newbie for cruises and first time on HA is too choose one or 2 ports to stay on the ship, enjoy our retreat cabana and other amenities the ship offers. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we will be overwhelmed with all the new experiences at hand. I expecting the Eurodam to be a lovely ship.

If you book excursions thru a third party you will need to work with them to get a refund. I know people get upset but that is the chance you take.

My husband said yesterday he is inclined to just stay onboard next trip because of the mess the tendering was last time. We got over on the first tender but waited in a very long line, in the sun, with no water offered to get back onboard. It was over an hour in a line that snaked back well into the island.

They REALLY needed periodic little shade tents and staff passing water out. It was awful.

I haven't had problems getting back. There is no priority there. I'm speaking of my experience going to the island.

I always rent a clamshell which you select when you arrive ashore. It must be noted that you must stake your claim before 11:00 AM. That means a leisurely breakfast and go ashore AFTER the rush would be prudent.

If HMC is the first stop, the initial surge of passengers to get on the first tender is extreme. The stairways will be at a standstill for a good half hour. With four HMC-provided tenders operating, a half hour to hour delay before going down to the gangway will make your departure a pleasant experience and get you a good seat for taking pictures.

Tendering back from Caymon to the ship will require a lengthy wait with a good portion of it in exposed to direct sunlight if you wait until the last minute. If you return early, your wait will be in the shade. There are probably going to be four ships using the same tendering area so the crowds will be huge.

I always rent a clamshell which you select when you arrive ashore. It must be noted that you must stake your claim before 11:00 AM. That means a leisurely breakfast and go ashore AFTER the rush would be prudent.

If HMC is the first stop, the initial surge of passengers to get on the first tender is extreme. The stairways will be at a standstill for a good half hour. With four HMC-provided tenders operating, a half hour to hour delay before going down to the gangway will make your departure a pleasant experience and get you a good seat for taking pictures.

Tendering back from Caymon to the ship will require a lengthy wait with a good portion of it in exposed to direct sunlight if you wait until the last minute. If you return early, your wait will be in the shade. There are probably going to be four ships using the same tendering area so the crowds will be huge.

Thanks crews news.

People said if u wait to the end of tendering, your selection of clamshell will be narrow and u may end up going far away. I don't know how far that would be. What would be considered early coming back from our stingray ex ? 4 pm , or 2 pm ?

I really hate to be in line with 5k pax. That would be no good.

Archived